Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is 10 degrees normal for Feb in Italy?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking at resorts for next year. A couple in Italy are showing warm temperatures 10 degrees! Is this normal?
I'd imagine that it will make afternoon skiing quite hard?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's above the typical average temperatures for this time of year, but spikes in temperature are not unusual either up or down. If you look at other resorts in other countries they're also relatively warm - don't take the weather this year as an indication of what it was like last year, or what it might be like next year.

We spent half a week last year skiing when it was 20C +, it's quite fun (but hard work) dealing with all the mounds of sugar.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rachiem, we were in itay two weeks ago and it was -20! That was apparently definitely unusual!! Toofy Grin as hammerite, says fluctuations are not unusual - we've been at this time of year before and it's been more like the 0 degrees mark so I wouldn't worry too much. If it's warmer I just tend to try and stay higher up in the afternoon until we have to get back down at the end of the day.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rachiem The weather will be what the weather will be. You can't affect it so don't spend the next year worrying about it. Generally most ski resorts have snow in February but sometimes it is really cold (if you had posted a couple of weeks ago you would have been asking if it is always -20 in February and you haven't got a facemask so should you buy one?) and sometimes it is warm. Sometimes it is sunny and sometimes it is foggy. It all adds to the challenge.

Of course, everyone wants powder dumps overnight and bluebird days but it doesn't always happen like that.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Statistically, February is the coldest month. So "no".
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Tiger2, +1

Look at the average temps and snow levels, not what they happen to be today... As has been said, 2 weeks ago it was -20 and that was unusual too...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Can vouch for that - three weeks ago and you wanted no skin uncovered in Italy!
I'd much prefer 10 degrees, and in any case, I always find afternoon skiing quite hard...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
20'C wow, I've never skied a bikini before Smile
Thanks, that's what I was thinking...I've over researched resorts I think!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I've over researched resorts I think!

definitely, I'd say. Have a look at the weather thread. This analysis is very revealing:

Quote:
Unusually warm and snowless December, unusually snowy January, unusually cold February. In summary overall, at least statistically, a "normal" winter, but the details tell a different story.

we could now add "unusually warm end of February".

so, the "average" statistics would have been hugely misleading as a guide to what was happening on any particular day. Last season, in some areas, there was a half decent fall of snow around Christmas then practically nothing for the rest of the season. Sometimes the best snow is in March.

You have explained elsewhere that you MUST go in February next year. That being the case, it does make sense to book early, as it's peak season. So - there is no possible way of knowing what the weather will be but normally February will be OK, particularly for beginners or near beginners, just about everywhere.

If you want to be MOST sure of snow cover you will need to head to one of the very high resorts and if you want guaranteed snow you need a glacier.

That will rule out hundreds of otherwise lovely resorts, will probably mean paying more than you need, and could leave you shivering in very low temperatures in a bleak wilderness.

If the conditions are very poor in other places, it could also mean that you queue for ages with all the others who booked lower resorts and have now headed up the glacier to ski. wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
we have pink faces, in Les Arcs and we wore suncream.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Shimmy Alcott, and are you having fun despite the "warmth"? wink

Strangely it's where we were when it was 20C+ and as rachiem, alludes ladies were skiing in bikini tops.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hammerite, its nice and sunny but its not hugely warm Laughing I never get cold toes but I did today Laughing (we'd spent a lot of time on chairs - first lifts, so pretty cold); had to stop so I could take my boots off and give my toes a warming wiggle.

We did go to Courchevel one year (first week of march) and it was so warm we did pass Chalets with bikini clad babes sunbathing out front Laughing my youngest was only about 4 months old and we had to ditch her winter hat and get a sun hat Laughing skiing was still fine until later on in the day.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy