Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beginner>>Sestriere, Sauze, Val thorens or Tignes?

Poster: A snowHead
Well after 10 days of research, we have narrowed down 4 resorts that seem suitable and nice hotels that we can afford.
My son will be learning to ski (14years old) and I will be going with my mum 67 years old...
We are both early intermediates (I haven't been for 20 years)
Which resort do you think would suit us?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
meant to ask too...we will be visiting in the third week of feb next year...will the Italian resorts be snow sure as I'm sure I read that Sestriere can loose it's best snow by then?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rachiem, of that choice, for a beginner or early intermediates I'd say Val Thorens - which is as snowsure as they come, though if it's freezing cold and blowing a hoolie you'll wish you'd gone somewhere lower.

Ask on here for some local advice about ski schools - you'll presumably all be taking lessons? As an elderly skier myself I'd hope your mum is going to do some serious physical preparation for the trip.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
In the third week of Feb everywhere is snow sure.
I wouldn't say any of those are "ideal" beginner resorts.
However, I've only actually been to the last two so that's based partly on what I've read/remembered off the top of my head.

Are you all taking lessons? The tie in with a ski school could be important here. Obviously you want a good school and easy access to the meet up point.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tbh all have more skiing than you'll ever need as a beginner the Milky Way resorts have what most people would describe as erratic snow fall but have good snow making, Sestriere IMO is better suited to beginners than Sauze which has some steep inclines out and about the resort-will assume your mum is a physically fit 67 year old if she's going to ski (good on her too BTW) so may not bother you. It's a while since I've been to the Milky Way but I hear the same problems of some old lifts are still prevelent.

To answer your second question it would be highly unlikely to have really poor conditions in Feb in Italy, yes the flal is erratic in some years but if it was poor I wouldn't expect it to be much better anywhere else-you pays your money and takes your chances but Feb is a safe bet anywhere in the alps IMO.

Someone will no doubt confirm this but the biggest potential issue with your dates for France is the French holidays, those are two mainstream resorts and from what I hear from the SnowHeads who have places out in France such as Pam W in the less mainstream places generally avoid being there then.

Other than that Tignes from a skiing perspective is up there with the best IMO, loads of off piste and challenges on piste suited more to upper intemediates IMO. Linked with Val d'Isere making a huge ski domain. Like wise Val Thorens part of the 3 Valleys it's high and can be bleak with little in the way of trees but a huge area, but not best placed if you wnat to make use of the whole 3V network.

With such a huge choice of resorts out there considering the above I'd actually go back to the drawing board and give you my defualt answer. I ski in France every year at least the once but overall as a complete holiday I much prefer Austria to France-particulary to avoid the crowds if the French schools are out.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

In the third week of Feb everywhere is snow sure

a bold assertion! However, in normal years, that's normally true.

I agree that proximity of accommodation to ski school meeting place is very important.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
None of them.

1. Val Thorens and Tignes are very high up, in February that won't be necessary.
2. They're big resorts, so more expensive than cheaper ones - you mention cost as an issue.

What else do you want from your holiday? Other people to ski with? What sort of place do you want to stay?

Does your mother ski - does she intend to?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In the third week of Feb everywhere is snow sure
Quote:
a bold assertion! However, in normal years, that's normally true.

I don't think it is bold. Just to clarify though, I am not saying that every run will be open, or that conditions will be very good or that some areas won't have better snow than others. But none of that is knowable more than a few days in advance. What I am saying is that is should form no basis on the OP decision. For beginners or intermediates there will be plenty to ski at any of the named resorts.

rachiem, any reason for choosing 3rd week of Feb? There are cheaper and less busy times.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Layne, with a 14 year old I assume that's maybe UK half term next year OP?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Layne, with a 14 year old I assume that's maybe UK half term next year OP?

Yeah thought that may be the case but wanted to make sure.

If school holidays are the restriction the OP may wish to consider xmas or as soon as the schools break up last weekend of March/first weekend of April. Will be cheaper and quieter.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
oh...so much to think about again.
Yes my mum is skiing...very fit and adventurous for her age!
I am stuck to that week due to work commitments and have to take my son out of school...can't go Easter as I am off to the Turks and Caicos for 2 weeks Smile
I love the look of Austria but keep reading stories of lack of snow etc. Went to Mayrhofen 25 years ago!
I'm going to avoid France I think due to the school holidays.
I'm tempted just to take a last minute deal. The holiday is more for my son who is desperate to go...I'm terrified of getting back on my skis after 20 years of Caribbean holidaying but don't want him to miss out and he doesn't want to go with the school.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rachiem,

Something that has moved on a lot from 20+ years ago is snowmaking and piste preparation. So seriously, I would put the lack of snow out of your mind. Last year was an exceptionally bad year so maybe you've picked up on that. Nevertheless February was not a problem. I was out second week of April. That was a problem. But we still got to ski.

Personally I wouldn't be intent on avoiding France. From what I can make out this year was quieter than normal, probably due to the economic climate. And I wouldn't be surprised if next year wasn't similar. And Austria isn't necessarily loads better.

I wouldn't do a last minute deal. Better to book asap and get something you are happy with. Get ski school booked up, etc. Otherwise you could end up with nothing or something unsuitable.

I take it you are flying?

What sort of station did you want... somewhere small and quiet? Or somewhere with lots going on?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Val Thorens does at least have the nursery slopes right in the middle of the resort which is handy.

Lack of snow really shouldn't be a problem at that time - if there's no snow in Austria there won't be much anywhere else either. February is prime ski season and most places have snow well into April.
Austria doesn't have a worse snow record than France does it? In fact, this year Austria seems to be doing a fair bit better...

Austria's meant to be cheaper and should be less busy in the French school holidays.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I assumed because Austria was lower that the snow was not so good...according to historic snow records?
I'd like somewhere that is quietish but with a few shops...and maybe a nice spa.
Rauris (Raurishof) was a favourite but then I started reading about the lack of snow there?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rachiem, not necessarily the case... There's a variety of factors.

Altitude is only one component. The further East you go the lower the snow line gets (it's colder cos it's more continental), so you don't need to be as high.

Resort towns in Austria tend to be lower down and less ski in-ski out, but there's plenty of glaciers and high altitude skiing available.
snow conditions
Thanks Bob...back to the drawing board again!
snow report
Quote:

I love the look of Austria but keep reading stories of lack of snow etc

As others have said, there's just as likely to be snow in Austria - or all those resorts would have gone out of business long ago. Italian snow cover is more erratic than either France or Austria but they do have great snow making to make up for it.

The "snowiness" is NOT the key factor if you have to go in February, when historically snow cover will be at its best (wasn't the case last year, but weather's like that). Actually, the quality of ski instruction available probably is the biggest factor, especially for you and your mother. The 14 year old will probably romp away with it, no matter what.

In France, whilst it's best to avoid ALL school holidays, the worst weeks are the two Paris holiday weeks - check which they are, there are loads of websites.

I agree with other comments that none of the 4 is ideal for what you want - but IMV Val Thorens is probably best, particularly because of the skiing convenience.

Are you and your mum at a similar level? Lessons together? Group or private?

Do you definitely want a hotel? If so, I suspect there's a much better choice in Austria.
latest report
It's true that I try to avoid France in the school holidays, because I don't do lift queues. When people say "we queued no longer than 10 minutes and mostly less than 5" I am not too impressed, but then I'm lucky enough to have avoided school holiday skiing all my life.

What are you doing in TCI?
snow report
pam w wrote:
It's true that I try to avoid France in the school holidays, because I don't do lift queues. When people say "we queued no longer than 10 minutes and mostly less than 5" I am not too impressed, but then I'm lucky enough to have avoided school holiday skiing all my life.

When people say "I never have to wait for a lift" but it's a cranky slow chair without heated seats or a bubble cover it doesn't impress me compared with a 10 minute wait for a heated super-fast gondola!

You either go skiing to ski, or to avoid the queues...

Toofy Grin
latest report
Ok...off to look at Austria again as I had ruled it out. Tbh, would prefer a hotel.
My mum says she won't need lessons...I've only had 2 weeks worth and didn't bother for the last couple of times I've been, but 20 years is a long time!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy