Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is climate change affecting the way Londoners buy skiing holidays?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,
I am a Hospitality and Tourism Student at Bournemouth University. I would be glad if you could find a few minutes to fill a questionnaire. The aim of the questionnaire is to investigate how climate change impacts on the way people buy skiing holidays. Your answers will remain anonymous with consideration of ethical norms and UK regulations of keeping data. Many thanks. Please clink this link
http://www.smart-survey.co.uk/v.asp?i=47719vlhdl
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pretty easy survey if you don't live in London rolling eyes
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
And why should Londoners be any different to the rest of us?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kirill Karpov, mmmm the old Climate Change jobbie, so why if the earth is cooling would you be looking at it in the way you are Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I am not even going to click the link. There is life outside of London thank fook. Most of us who dont live there are glad to get out when we have to go !

Kirill Karpov, ever thought about being an MP ? Laughing NehNeh NehNeh
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think people are being a little over sensitive about the London aspect? Presumably that is just the survey sample. If it said:

Is climate change affecting the way people from Liverpool buy skiing holidays?

or

Is climate change affecting the way people from Edinburgh buy skiing holidays?

I doubt anyone would be especially fussed? Puzzled

[still might be a daft survey mind you]
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nozawaonsen wrote:
I think people are being a little over sensitive about the London aspect? Presumably that is just the survey sample. If it said:

Is climate change affecting the way people from Liverpool buy skiing holidays?

or

Is climate change affecting the way people from Edinburgh buy skiing holidays?

I doubt anyone would be especially fussed? Puzzled

[still might be a daft survey mind you]

probably true, i must confess to similair feelings. the word london for some reason fills me with unkind thoughts.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stewart woodward, Okanagan, Smokin Joe, mugen, here's a thread for non-Londoners:

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1995372#1995372

NehNeh
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nice.. will get luftwaffe uniform out
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
What a load of nonsense, climate change is the least of my worries when booking a ski holiday.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Filthyphil30k, Me too........ presumably the fact that there's 5-6m of snow in Arlberg this year is due to the effects of global warming, not the fact that it is a cold front from Russia that just happens to dump its snow when it gets to relatively warm air, as it does every year, its just the amount that varies...............I'm certainly no weather expert but it seems like the reason for people to suddenly decide to book or not to book is NOT based on climate change. If we've had a few years of relatively poor snow (like we had until this year) it doesnt make me think, wow I'll go to Whistler next year, or what about Valdez, or Russia?..........just makes me think, next year will be great by the law of averages, we're due a good one.

Global warming doesnt make 1% difference in my decision making process on a year to year basis re choosing holidays, but then I dont live in London so what do I know? Or care for the survey?!!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arno, Dont know what "chippy provincials" are but I can imagine, just real glad I presumably are one and not stuck in London............done that in the 80's, now REALLY happy to be out of it.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Easiest survey i have ever completed Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Markymark29,
Quote:

Dont know what "chippy provincials" are
They are people who repeatedly denigrate London at every opportunity. I'm not too keen on Manchester myself, but it's not something I feel the need continually to mention.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pedantica wrote:
Markymark29,
Quote:

They are people who repeatedly denigrate London at every opportunity. I'm not too keen on Manchester myself, but it's not something I feel the need continually to mention.

But you just did Laughing
snow conditions
I live a few miles outside London. I answered one question and finished.

I also find it a bit disappointing when students can't manage to get their grammar right in the second sentence of introduction "I would be glad if you could find a few minutes to fill a questionnaire"

I guess Hospitality and Tourism at Bournemouth uni isn't the rigorously academic subject I had expected. Then again, I don't think climate change is going to ever make much difference to my holiday booking, unless we had Mediterranean summers in Brighton and Alpine winters across the Pennines.
ski holidays
We've had some pup surveys on SH before now, but this one just pooed on the carpet big time.

Q16 says tick all that apply but is set to radio buttons.
Majority of Questions I've had to answer 'Other' to as the options make no reference to my main driver in choosing a ski holiday these days (ie the kids)
Other Q's were leading and assumed agreement in climate change hypothesis

Questions along the lines of "Would you pay more for a holiday which was offered as Carbon Neutral?" would have been better...
or Which of the following carbon reduction options would you like to see in resorts... that kinda thing.
ski holidays
I was so intrigued as to why the geographical location of the purchaser should make any difference (in the apparent absence of a series of comparisons with other towns) that I completed it pretending to be from London, whilst hanging on the phone for Tesco mobile handset customer support (I have done the questionnaire and this post, with no answer....).

It's a very peculiar questionnaire and I would like to know what valid conclusions the OP hopes to draw from it. (He probably doesn't give a damn about the conclusions, so won't mind that I masqueraded as a Londoner). "Climate change" is by definition a long term thing. "Weather" is what happens month to month and, indeed, year to year. Hence a couple of cold winters and a stupidly warm weekend in mid February don't prove, or disprove, the climate change proposition.

The question asking whether, in making a choice of holiday, a Londoner (or an imposter) was influenced by "weather" or "climate change" , in this context, is odd. If you book a ski holiday 4 - 6 months in advance, which is probably a reasonable average, you can't sensibly take either into account. If you book for next week "weather" would make a huge difference. If you book for 10 years hence, you might possibly be influenced by your beliefs about climate change.

I am with Pedantica about "carping provincials". It's like all those people who can't do a write up of their nice holiday in Austria without carping on about France. When did you read someone who'd been to a great exhibition or concert in London saying there's so much less choice in Wilmslow?
latest report
pam w wrote:
I was so intrigued as to why the geographical location of the purchaser should make any difference (in the apparent absence of a series of comparisons with other towns) that I completed it pretending to be from London, whilst hanging on the phone for Tesco mobile handset customer support (I have done the questionnaire and this post, with no answer....).

It's a very peculiar questionnaire and I would like to know what valid conclusions the OP hopes to draw from it. (He probably doesn't give a damn about the conclusions, so won't mind that I masqueraded as a Londoner). "Climate change" is by definition a long term thing. "Weather" is what happens month to month and, indeed, year to year. Hence a couple of cold winters and a stupidly warm weekend in mid February don't prove, or disprove, the climate change proposition.

The question asking whether, in making a choice of holiday, a Londoner (or an imposter) was influenced by "weather" or "climate change" , in this context, is odd. If you book a ski holiday 4 - 6 months in advance, which is probably a reasonable average, you can't sensibly take either into account. If you book for next week "weather" would make a huge difference. If you book for 10 years hence, you might possibly be influenced by your beliefs about climate change.

I am with Pedantica about "carping provincials". It's like all those people who can't do a write up of their nice holiday in Austria without carping on about France. When did you read someone who'd been to a great exhibition or concert in London saying there's so much less choice in Wilmslow?

hey i can carp if i want about france Smile
latest report
of course you can carp about France, mugen, but if you do knee-jerk carping in inappropriate threads you can expect to be grumbled at in turn. wink

If EVERY time somebody mentions London, somebody else carps about it, does get a trifle tedious.
ski holidays
Pedantica wrote:
Markymark29,
Quote:

Their speaks a Snowhead that's never visited Liverpool snowHead
latest report
heh this thread title looks like it was made in The Daily Mail Headline Generator -> http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
snow report
Kel, I have visited Liverpool and I like it.
latest report
Pedantica,

Really, you have really visited Liverpool and I mean visited not just Liverpool One, Beatle City, Trip on the Mersey, and the other sight seeing stuff and you like it.

Can't understand why you are not to keen on Manchester then, or is it the Manc's, then yes I can understand.
ski holidays
Kel, can't really be bothered to go into the ins and outs of why I prefer Liverpool to Manchester (or at least the bits of both that I've seen.) I used to visit Liverpool fairly regularly when I worked for Welsh National Opera, who tour there.
snow report
Kel, IMV Liverpool and Manchester are remarkably different given how close they are to eachother
snow conditions
Kel, obviously Liverpool has some bad areas, as does Manchester... And Birmingham, Bristol, Newcastle and even London Shocked Shocked

One thing I've learnt from spending time in different places in the UK is that everywhere has it's fair share of cr@p areas and I haven't seen anything to suggest that any city in particular is really that much worse than any other city. People who say otherwise are just blind to the bad parts of the city they happen to like.

I'm from Bristol, live in Manchester and the OH is a scouser so spend a lot of time over there too... Manc has a bit more going on IMV, some excellent pubs if you know where to look and, most critically, the snowdome is much closer Wink. I like Liverpool too, apart from the fixation with the Beatles is a little OTT! I really like it as a place to visit and have had some good nights out there too.

They are surprisingly different to each other as Arno says. Which I like because when you're spending a fair bit of time in both it's nice that they're not both the same.
snow conditions
bobmcstuff, too right, much as I love London, it has some absolutely horrible areas!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yet another 'Questionnaire' project by some dumb undegrad, too lazy to do any real work, too poorly educated to get the grammar right, and too blinkered by preconceived opinion to ask sensible, non-leading, unbiased questions.

Why do so many 'students' think that putting together a couple of stoopid questions and posting them up on the web constitutes 'research'? Complete Bollux IMHO, and Yes I filled it in, but I lied outrageously Twisted Evil
latest report
I come from inside the M25, but with a Kentish postcode. Does that count as being a Londoner?

Mind you, I have a real dilemma. I *want* global warming / climate change, since it pays my salary, and all the time it's big news, it continues to get government funding. But I still want it to snow, and not be too warm in summer.
ski holidays
andy, so what you're saying is that none of your evidence should ever be used or trusted as you have both ethical and financial conflicts of interest. Nice!
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Easiest survey i have ever completed Laughing

.............and quickest Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy