Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

atomic burner v hawx?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Going boot shopping tomorrow having been struggling with my atomic m90s - heel lift, baggy feeling on one foot, hot spot on the other - for the past couple of seasons. Last visit to Ellis Brigham I was recommended burner 100 or something by dalbello. Couple of questions... What's the difference between the hawx and burner and why would EB supply the 120 flex in the hawx but not the burner? I notice the burner has 5mm stand height increase to help get wider skis over. Anyone got experience of this and does it produce any noticeable benefit?

I notice the burner 120 has a beefier power strap and higher spec bootliner... Worth the extra cash?

I'm 6'4", around 15 stone with my gear on and ski lots of different aspects but mostly like blasting down steeper reds and similar steepness off piste. Have skins but am coming to the realisation that I don't skin enough to justify compromising my downs for the ups with a lighter boot.

Anyway, hopefully get fitted tomorrow so any advice much appreciated.

Will obviously listen to the fitter, but feel I've got to know my feet over the past few seasons so hope to have some input either way... Won't rush into it.
ski holidays
 cran
cran
The heel lift and baggy feeling isn't to do with the flex, at least I don't think it is... isn't it more to do with the fit?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cran, yep, I know this. Was just pointing out reasons for new purchase Very Happy

The question about flex was more to get an understanding as to why a reseller would stock various flexes in one boot but not the other... Say I require the stiffer flex, then my options are reduced?
snow conditions
 cran
cran
No idea Toofy Grin

Ask if they can get the other flexes.

Flex is a bit variable anyway, I currently have xwaves that are flex 80, but they are MUCH stiffer than my old RS8's that were flex 90 and both by Salomon...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

The heel lift and baggy feeling isn't to do with the flex

An old, tired boot flexes more... this encourages more 'freedom' in the heel department.

Flex is not an official unit. Each manafacturer has their own flex ratings within their boot ranges... so an Atomic 120 is not directly comparable to another brand's (with the possible exception of Salamon!).

So... it can be a right pain the shin to get it all balanced between brands Wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The main differences between then are the shape and the stance, the burner is based on the CS shell (club sport, "race" coaches boot) with a 98mm shell and a nicely sculpted heel pocket

The hawx is a 100mm shell and has a slightly more generous heel, the hawx is a degree or 2 more upright in stance so very vertical which works well if some has a large calf or lack of ankle flexion, that said the burner is not a bad boot for this either

If you can get in the burner definately have that over the hawx and based on body weight (and I will make the assumption of being a reasonable skier) I would go with the 120 flex

Why don't they offer the burner in the 100 and the hawx in 120, no idea really but mostly shops build a range based on price points and to fill gaps in shapes, at this point in the season just be wary that you are not being put in what is left in stock, I know we are at the point of not having a boot for every one who comes in, I have placed all my orders for next season already...... In fact if you are looking at burner and thinking it may be a touch narrow then it may be worth waiting til next season as they have put a live fit panel on the outside edge of the boot to allow a bit of extra foot flex across the toes

Shame I didn't know you are looking earlier, I flew into gods own country last night and could have taken a quick look at your foot to give a suggestion, my day has now been planned for me

Good luck getting sorted, you know the drill, make sure they shell check you and be wary of getting something with too much volume...that said you are in a 102mm shell right now, 100mm may be the sfe option if the 102 was a
good shape/fit in the first place, however if it was wildly off then the 98mm should work just fine....you can make them bigger ...smaller is more difficult
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
flangesax, CEM, thanks for the input. Maybe should have asked sooner, but I was swithering as to wether the forum needed yet another boot thread Embarassed

CEM, interesting about the heel pocket shape of the burner. I've never been totally happy in the m90s so that may be the way forward. Will make sure a decent and proper shell check is done and will certainly ask about stock they are holding.

Wish I could have taken 5 mins of your time, even just to say hello, but enjoy yourself whatever you're up to.

Will report back later.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 27-02-12 10:56; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well... Went and got served by sandy at EB and discussed options with him, shell checks etc and have left my current boots with him for a couple of reasons. He's going to set about doing a temp fix on the liners in my old boots with some comformable foam to see me right for the remainder of this season. I tried the hawx 120 and really liked the way the boot flexed. Still felt a little big around the heel on my right foot though. Discovered that my right foot is actually a full shell size smaller than the left! So, we discussed next season's burner with the live fit insert and it was decided I'll wait for that.

So, I never got new boots, but I'm encouraged that next season I'll be in new, more suitable boots. More suitable for my feet, height, weight and type of skiing I do.

Thanks again cem for bringing next year's burner to my attention.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Found a pic of next years Burners... All have live-fit and have moved up a notch stiffness wise by the look of it.

Not had this seasons main holiday yet, but now I'm looking forward to getting fitted and enjoying next seasons skiing!

snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy