Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Banff/Lake Louise - Hire Recommendations and Lift Pass query...

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

Had a dig through previous posts and didn't turn up anything recent...

Off to Banff in (just under) 2 weeks and am yet to sort out Ski Hire and Lift Passes.

Always take my own skis when skiing Europe, but Air Canada wanted a small fortune so I'm going to hire kit out there (means that i can use the second half of the holiday to learn to darkside as well).... So, question is - does anyone have any decent recommendations for a hire shop? May pre book over the net if that is possible.

Also, lift passes... Buy in resort? Or pre-book over the net? Any discount sites available or is full price everywhere? Mate of mine said £400 for 9 days... nearly choked!!

Cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Inghams wanted £700 for 13days. Shocked

I paid £260 for 13. Booked before 15th Dec, so should have paid about £360 but managed to confuse the sales girl.......
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
magic_hat, Ultimate/SkiStop.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
For the lift pass, I used American Ski Classics, after someone else mentioned them on here - 2 adult passes and a free child's pass (8 from 13 days) cost about £500ish (definitely under £600). Just ordered them and, as we were staying outside Banff, we picked up from the Ski Hub - if you are in a Banff hotel, they deliver.

I've never rented skis in Banff, but there's a few places Downtown.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
magic_hat, Banff isnt the cheapest place for lift passes, but then it does cover the bus transport too.

Yellow Pyranha, ASC are pretty good, reasonable prices too. They even refunded our deposit when we had to cancel our trip, even though they didnt need to under their T&C. Being repeat customers helped I would think but still a good gesture. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Try Snowtips-Bactrax on Bear Street in Banff for ski and boot hire. Good rates and service. Ask for Tom and tell him his mum sent you!! wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Another vote for Ultimate - better choice and quality. Didnt like Snowtips as they ripped me off on a boot repair - sorry Toms mum.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Freefall, Sad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
+1 for Ultimate Ski & Ride. Really friendly staff, they were more than happy to adjust the setup for my girlfriend's snowboard while she was still finding her feet, and then were also happy to take it all back & refund for unused days when she lost her feet and broke her wrist :-/
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cheers All! Going to sift through the responses in work tomorrow!

Appreciate everyone's time and comments.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Magic HAt - whereabouts are you staying? The rental places are spread out around Banff, so you may want somewhere within a short plod of the hotel.

As for lift passes, we just got them at the ski hub once we arrived.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ajpaul, or one that delivers... (ie. Ultimate IIRC).
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ajpaul, if you go back to Banff it would definitely be worth checking out American Ski Classics - the lift passes for the three of us came to about $1500 from Ski Hub, but were less than £600 through ASC (Ski Hub didn't offer a free child place, which accounts for part of that saving, so perhaps not so significant of you don't have kids in the party).

magic_hat, remember that the lift pass price does include rescue to the roadhead, if required. The other week, at Nakiska, my wife took a wrong turn and ended up on a run she couldn't ski down; the patrollers were quite happy to go to her and take her to a place where she was comfortable to continue (apparently if they take you to the day lodge, they have to do all the paperwork, so this was a 'courtesy ride'!). A couple of days later, my son mis-landed a jump and was rescued by skidoo at Sunshine, then fully assessed, in their base station (yes, lots of forms) before being released.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another vote for Ultimate, very helpful staff. Have a great time!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I agree with others that using American Ski Classics to book your lift passes can save a fortune in most North American resorts. Depending on circumstances, though, you can sometimes snag a better deal with Liftopia so it's worth checking there, too. I'd also try searching Ski Independence, although they usually to have the same deals as ASC but at slightly higher prices. I'm a happy customer of all three businesses and can vouch that they're genuine and reliable.
latest report
Just wanted to say "Thanks" to everyone who responded.

Got my lift passes from American Ski Classics - cheaper and super quick response to my email query. Passes getting delivered to my hotel. Easy.

Also, have exchanged emails with Ultimate ski hire people and they have come up trumps and confirmed that I can chop and change between skis/board at no extra cost throughout trip. About to prebook some stuff with them this afternoon. Easy.

Thanks Snowheads.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy