Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Choosing a ski resort

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Back from ski trip this year and need to start planning next one to cheer me up. Just wondered what criteria people use for choosing a place and how they check out places.(obviously different needs for different people).I picked Serre Chevalier this year due to advice given from a someone we were chatting to last year at Valberg and ski reviews - That and looking at the piste map as we wanted a larger area and green/blue runs to ski back on alongside challenging blacks and reds as we are a mixed ability party. Resort worked out well (some great runs)-could have done with a better snow but even with all the research it was a disappointing to find that the green was just a narrow road back to the base but not sure how I could have checked this out for my friend. I only ski for one week a year love the planning - thought a general thread of pros and cons for favorite ski resorts would be helpful.

Have posted a report on Serre Che somewhere on here- so will start of with last years resort -Valberg.

Valberg
pros – Friendly town, cheaper in the southern alps . Short transfer form Nice airport. A couple of pretty blue runs and one long easy red. Some reasonable reds but on the short side. Can get across whole area on chairs. Great for someone who detests buttons. Quiet area – not good for après ski but good if you just like a few nice restaurants.
Lots of good quality chalets and apartments to rent.

Cons Not high altitude so not snow sure Blacks were short icy moguly. Not a very big ski area. You ski across the area in very short runs. Only one mountain restaurant. Only one way up mountain therefore queues in morning. Not good for beginners as long green is at the top of the mountain and has a steep start more like a blue. (cant tell this from the piste map) If you ski to the far side of the area you will find you cross a short but difficult stretch of red ( the only way) to get back. So area was very limited for one of my friends. Only bars at base are across the road so no sipping drinks and watching people ski down.

Actually wondered why I went now…but remembered was going to Pra Loup but couldn’t get decent self catering accommodation for 8 at the higher level got talked into it OH kept saying ‘ Too Low and short runs’ but it was pretty – but will not return.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good bit starting val but add d'Isere, never fails just pick your price range.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have a look at Italy. Virtually every French resort is stupidly busy in February so I'm a firm convert to Italy. It's much cheaper (1 euro for a cafe maciato on the slopes) and the food is better too. For a mixed ability group consider Champoluc (Ski Monte Rosa). I think there's a tour operator that goes there but I'd recommend DIY. Just book a hotel, some cheap flights to a Milan airport and hire a car or cars. Or you can drive there. It's no further to drive than Val D'Isere. We've just had our 3rd half term week in the area and the longest queue was about 5 minutes.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for that - We always do DIY much prefer it and don't mind a drive. Was thinking of Italy as have been to France many times now. Have to go at Feb half term as I teach. (Serre Che not that busy as only one french zone on holiday and not many brits but will look into Monterosa - Champoluc sounds good and french prices even in the south are getting ridiculous. Glad you had a great holiday - hope the snow was good ! snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kay, a general "pros and cons" doesn't work, because one man's "con" (e.g. rowdy bars) is another man's "pro". Many resorts divide opinion - Meribel and Val D'isere are good examples; some people love them, others (including me) don't. Weather makes a huge difference too. Being very high, and above the tree line, is a massive "pro" in mid April if it's warm and slushy further down, but is horrible when it's foggy and freezing cold.

You need to be very precise about dates and holidays too. BenTisdall is wrong about French holiday dates (holidays mid Feb to mid March, not the whole of February) and beware that some Italian resorts are stupidly busy at weekends. During half term week people reported French resorts pretty quiet, because it wasn't the Paris week, which is the busiest. Some reports at the same time of long life queues in Austria.

In many resorts it is NOT possible to ski to the bottom on easy, comfortable runs. Even if they're easy they're sometimes very busy and get icy and horrible (there is a famously unpleasant green to the bottom of La Daille in val D'Isere. Often, it is much better for beginners to have nice easy runs at the top, then take a gondola down. If you insist on having enjoyable resort runs for all skill levels you'll massively limit your choice.

So, when you know when you want to go, and exactly what you are looking for (and what is not important), ask here on snowheads and you'll get plenty of opinions from people who know the resorts. they won't all agree; that's the nature of the game. Particularly if people have only been somewhere once, their views will be highly coloured by the conditions they experienced that particular week, and whether they fancied their ski instructor. wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
3 valleys in france is amazing!

Courchavel if you want up market skiing, Meribel if you want a family chalet and Val Thorens if you want to party. Its all there in one massive skiable area.

if you don't believe me check out this vid from a few weeks ago.

Amazing off piste from a week ago! bloopers and wipeouts at the end!

http://youtube.com/v/JVwiihKl4HM
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy