Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

bad gastein?

Poster: A snowHead
crystal ski has a deal to Bad Gastein in Austria on 24th March for a week.single room at Hotel Elisabethpark 4/5 star b+b for £390,flights from manchester and tansfers.I'm a new skier and was wandering if anyone has skied there and what the snow will be like late in the season.Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hidazman50, Sounds like a great price in a nice hotel - I skied everywhere in the Gasteins in late Jan and would say that it could be a bit stiff in most parts for a relative newcomer who isn't going to take lessons - most of the easy blue runs were linking tracks from piste to piste or goat runs which tended to be narrow and icy a lot of the time. There wasn't lots of easy wide blue cruisers around. Snow wise I think you'll be fine and if I had the spare cash I'd be heading back there myself, you could get in touch with Kooky on here she will have up to date info. Enjoy.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
briand6868 wrote:
Hidazman50, Sounds like a great price in a nice hotel - I skied everywhere in the Gasteins in late Jan and would say that it could be a bit stiff in most parts for a relative newcomer who isn't going to take lessons - most of the easy blue runs were linking tracks from piste to piste or goat runs which tended to be narrow and icy a lot of the time. There wasn't lots of easy wide blue cruisers around. Snow wise I think you'll be fine and if I had the spare cash I'd be heading back there myself, you could get in touch with Kooky on here she will have up to date info. Enjoy.

nice one matey.Not much for taking lessons just want to throw meself down the mountain haha.gunna keep me eye on that deal got a feelin it may go down.Thanks again Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
briand6868, thanks brian Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I'm a new skier

Quote:

Not much for taking lessons just want to throw meself down the mountain haha

Have you had any lessons? You'll probably improve a million times faster and be able to ge a lot more out of your holiday after a few lessons.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've stayed in the Elizabeth Park and it is a very nice hotel with a good spa area. Food was pretty good too.

The only downside of Bad Gastein is that it is built on the side of a vertical hill with the ski lift at the top and the hotels cascading down the hill. The Elizabeth Park is about halfway down. However, they run courtesy minibuses and as long as you chat nicely to the two guys who drive them they pretty much go on demand. They wait at the bottom of the main lift at the end of the day and leave to a loose timetable. But they will give you a phone number and you can just call them when you want them.

We didn't have enough snow for off piste skiing (went at Christmas) but the pistes were in excellent condition for the time of year. There are 4 different skis areas linked by bus. As with most ski buses once you've worked out the timetable they are efficient and generally run to time.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That could be an accident waiting to happen Shocked
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowbandit wrote:
Tiger2, i went skiing for the first time last year with an austrian.She is a very good skier as all austrians are.We went to Stubai glacier and i picked it up really fast.I was a good skate boarder and do lots of mountain biking and she said i was a natural Very Happy .So now i just want to spend time in the mountains and improve.Thanks for the advice Tiger Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowbandit wrote:

And it usually involves a totally unexpected innocent party.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kel, accidents happen to anyone and at anytime.That is why they are called accidents but alot of accidents can be prevented if yr careful and and i am very very careful
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
was in Bad Gastein 2 years ago. Would agree with Briand6868. The slopes wouldn't really be suited to those on their second week looking to improve. They can be pretty challengeing, and without experience, they could be dangourous. Don't want to damming your confidence, but we have all seen accidents happen on the slopes. (usally on reds towards the latter end of the week)
As such the slopes above Bad gastein dont offer much for 2nd weekers. The slopes in Dorfgastein may suit better, but still mainly reds. I wouldn't recommend Bad Gastein to anyone less than a confident intermidate, simply from the fact, that, you may not get to ski a lot of the slopes, whereas you may get better value for money another resort with a better mix of blue and red runs.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Slev, thanks mate,i appreciate yr advice.It was just a good deal and i'm sooooo eager to get back the mountains.I'm thinking of maybe going on the end of season bash.Have you done one of them? If a good deal pops up at the end of march though i prob won't be able to stop meself from jumping on a plane for another snow adventure Very Happy Thanks again bud
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
javascript:emoticon('dazman50,%20') And you should! there are great deals at the moment. Am off to the Skiwelt area nextr weekend for a 4 days booked it independently just afer christmas. A friend booked a last minute deal for the same week in the same place for 1/2 the price a few days ago. There's deals to be had.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dazman50, I've taken quite a few complete beginners to Bad Gastein and most have been fine - generally those with some confidence. However, they've all had lessons!

I'd echo the opinions of those above, there's not much in the way of easy piste to throw yourself down and hope for the best. Only maybe a few like S1 at Sportgastein, a few above Hofgastein and maybe some on Grossarl which is linked to Dorfgastein. I'd recommend you get an instructor. You'll get much more from your holiday, ski better and safer too if you have an instructor.

I have an apartment there so if you need any recommendations, let me know.

Cheers
Kersh
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
.. oh, and snow is great at the moment! snowHead

Cheers
snow report
Kersh, thanks alot Kersh for yr advice.As a new very addicted skier i appreciate and respect the knowledge of people who have skied for a long time.I'm still chekin a few places but bad Gastein is popping up with some sound deals. Very Happy
snow conditions
Slev, Thanks alot slev,have a great time on yr trip Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
dazman50, I would agree totally with Kersh. Bad Gastein is not the easiest for total newbies, but if you ski within your limits,and are confident there is nothing there that will freak you out. The tip of heading over to Großarl is a very good one, I usually take any nervous skiers there as there are some great confidence building wide runs, and it dosn´t get so silly busy as some of the other resorts round here.
latest report
dazman50, I reckon you'll be fine in Gastein. Sounds like you have the confidence you need but just make sure you come back in one piece and from what you've said, lessons will help there.

Have fun!!! snowHead snowHead

Kersh
ski holidays
Quote:

just want to throw meself down the mountain haha

Quote:

i am very very careful

Confused
snow report
pam w, don't be so serious pam,I'm not really going to throw myself down a mountain.I know my limits and i stay within them.Thanks for the concern though
ski holidays
kooky, thanks kooky,i do know my limits and am very careful but even the best skier and the most careful person can come unstuck.Hahaha i like yr delusional quote Very Happy i'm loving this sight.Lots of good advice from some sound people.Even if some over react to what i say in gest
snow report
dazman50, tell ya what, seeing as you joined :sH:heads the very same day as one of my favourite posters "left", when you are in Gastein give me a shout and I will come over and join you for a ski wink
snow conditions
kooky, nice one kooky,i'm just keeping my eye on the price.It would be cool to meetup with a local.None of my mates ski and i am new to the sport but its the best thing i have done and the mountains keep calling out to me Very Happy I have a Austrian mate (Claudia) from salzburg and she may join me for a day or two if she can get time off. Take care kooky and look forward to meeting you sometime Very Happy
ski holidays
dazman50, for sure........I am counting on it Laughing
ski holidays
Hi there.

Rather than start a new thread, though I'd hijack Dazman's!!

Am travelling to Bad Gastin on Sat 17 March and wondering is there a decent Irish or English bar there that would be showing the Ire Eng rugby that evening?

Also, would anyne be able to recommend good ski school with English speaking instructors - am a decent intermediate and probably looking more for ski guiding around the area with a few tips and exercises on technique along the way.
Other half a second week near beginner so she's looking for more on technique side of things but ideally would like to use same school as probably have same times and meeting points for all groups.
ski holidays
Hi Paul100, not sure where you'll be able to watch the rugby. The only place I can think of is the Krone Yooth Hostel Bar which is next to the Eurospar Supermarket near the railway station. I've watched the football in there but they may not show the 6 Nations. Even if it's not on, it's worth going to the Krone for a beer, one of my favourite bars!

As for ski schools, i've always used www.schneesportgastein.com. They've always been good. Give them a call to book some lessons.

Cheers.
Kersh
latest report
hi Kersh, rather than start another thread, saw all the comments re Bad Gastein and the black hole of calcutta ski storage wink . We're heading out there on 24th and will have guiding which covers the skiing side of things but wondered which are the best Apres bars? Do any have happy hour? Saw your 08 msg about the Silver Bullet http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=43923#1053501. Is that still the place to try?

Thanks
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi Kerch

Thanks for info - much appreciated.
Will check out the Krone - beer takes priority over rugby anyway. Happy
ski holidays
WayneC, ha ha ... i'd forgotten about the black hole of calcutta ski storage comments! Thing of the past since Sport Schrober built a new shop. The old shop (which ajoined said black hole) is now one big ski store so much better.

As for Apres bars, there are quite a few places. The best bars are Silver Bullet and Haeggbloms. The Silver Bullet was extended about 18 months ago and is a really great place. They have live bands every evening from about 5pm!

www.silverbulletbar.com

I'd never been to Haeggbloms until speedster introduced me to the place last December - before i'd always headed to the Bullet. It's quite small but just as good. So speedster tells me (and he'll be here to correct me if i'm wrong), there's a guy who sits on a stool and plays the guitar from about 4pm. After each song, he downs a shot of JD. This goes on until he falls off his stool ... and then they shut the bar, everyone goes home, has food and comes back when they reopen about 10! Laughing Another great place.

www.haeggbloms.at

The Krone Bar I mentioned above is also good. Been in there Apres when they've had a band. Also, later on go to the Stuberl which is under the Krone bar .... it took me years of skiing in Gastein to find the Krone Stuberl. Anyway, walk through the main bar towards the loos, go down the stairs and there's another bar.

The first time I went to Bad Gastein, I thought the Apres ski was the umbrella bar next to the main lift. How wrong I was!!!!!

Have fun. snowHead

Kersh
snow report
Thanks Kersh, will do.. snowHead
snow conditions
Just back from a great week in BG. The Bullet lived up to the hype... Eden and Haeggbloms close second and third... Oh and plenty of great snow, sun and saunas...

Don't go here, if you don't like walking up steep hills, but lots of character, with great austrian apres ski.

Not sure why they have an Indian bar in Austria but a great place all the same... Smile snowHead
snow conditions
Just back from Badgastein myself. Agree that it is a great little resort with a pretty village.

There’s just enough skiing to keep you occupied for a week. We were there for a bit of off-piste - Dorfagstein is great for tree skiing, while Sportgastein has some easily accessed slopes. Skiing spring snow for most of the week with an unexpected
powder day on Saturday. The Scandis with their uber fat skis and airbags were competing for lines off the North Face at Sportgastein, there was not much competition for the slackcountry powder Little Angel.

A must to eat out there is the germnoodle!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy