Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Have decided to change skis... help needed!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I bought a pair of Rossignol S86W skis nearly a year ago. I love them in virtually all conditions, but as much as I've tried, I can't shake the feeling that they're too long for me. I find them very hard work on steeps - although I accept that's probably mostly me rather than the skis. They're best at doing big GS turns.

They are 170cms long, and I am 5'7" - and (obviously) female.

They're very heavy and feel quite cumbersome at times. I've finally decided that rather than 'bear with them' for another holiday (I've used them on four holidays), to just admit I picked the wrong skis, sell them and buy something else.

I want something which is VERY easy to turn, not too heavy, has a fantastic grip on ice/hardpack but also some float on fresh snow - and can cope with slushy bumps. I rarely go off piste, and try to avoid moguls.

I did like it that the Rossi coped very well with chopped up snow, deep fresh snow and slush.

I've boiled down my choices to:

Dynastar Legend Idyll in 158cms

Blizzard Black Pearl in 166cms

Advice would be gratefully received, plus any other suggestions!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
170 definitely too long unless they masses of rise in tip and tail, which I bet body parts they don't. I don't know girls skis, but try before you buy is, to me, critical. Gotta try some and see what you like...

Lots of info online review-wise, too, though less I fear for the ladies.

Assuming you're slimish: length-wise I'd go as tall as you are in cm (171), for a twin tip, no longer, for sure. Shorter for skis with rise only in front, flat at rear, maybe 160/165 tops.

Sorry I can't suggest any models!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks JaMMi - the Black Pearls have tip and tail rocker and (I'm told) feel 10cms shorter than they are.

But yes, although my Rossis have slight tip rocker, it's not really noticeable. They are too long, and too stiff for me to ski them well on steeps. Ah well.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
As luck has it I am flicking through the Jan issue of Stiftung Warentest (the German Which? equivalent). There is a ski test of womens piste skis (72-78mm waists). The most highly rated ski for experienced skiers is the Head MYA No4. It also rated very highly for build quality (edge thickness, edge blow out resistance and impact resistance). Let me know if you want more info.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Try whatever you are going to buy in a resort
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd have a look at the K2 Lotta Luv as well. Mrs Monium rather likes hers for the type of skiing you describe. Hard to find secondhand though, seems not many people are selling them.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've gone for the Dynastars, the deal was too good to pass up. I've read every review I can find, and I think they're far closer to what I want. If not, there's always eBay!

The Black Pearls have got rave reviews for soft snow, but not so much for hardpack/ice.

I know it's preferable to try before you buy, but I'm MILES from any snowdomes, and every time I've tried to demo in resorts, their range has been very limited.

So my Rossis will now be for sale..

Thanks everyone for your input x
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy