Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Injured knee - any advice please?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hiya,

I crashed my knee on the slopes in January (5 weeks ago) and wondered if anyone had any advice. I've read the specific post about ACL which is very useful and has good links.

At the moment I'm still trying to get a full range of movement. I've got an MRI appointment on the NHS but not for another 3 weeks, then 2 weeks to get the results. I'm trying to get a quicker appointment somewhere private at the moment. So I have no real idea of the damage done. X-rays abroad showed no bone damage so it's down to cartilage and/or ligaments.

I've been seeing a private physio weekly since the accident and doing the exercises she gives me. I've also started seeing a personal trainer who Ive seen in the past and know she's good with rehab to work on mobilisation and overall strengthening of my legs and keeping my upper body good too. When I last saw the consultant he said I had to get my leg straight, whatever it takes. On top of the exercises my physio has given me, this week I've also started hanging weights off either side off my knee (in an oven glove, lol!) whilst my leg is elevated. This was suggested by my physio.

But it doesn't seem to matter what I do I can't get it fully straight. Any ideas?

Thanks

Deb
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
debbiem, you're obviously pretty determined because what you describe with the weights is, I suspect, painful.
If it still won't go straight it implies that something is mechanically blocking joint movement - and the most likely suspect would be a torn cartilage (meniscus).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Freddie Paellahead, didn't genepi get her dog to sit on hers? Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
debbiem, do the private MRI scan as per the ACL thread in London, that's of course if you can get there without incurring to much in the way of travel expenses. Then worth paying for a private consultation to see what the actual issue is you're dealing with for "them" to assess the scan, the two have to be done in tandem as it were, again I think I spelt the strategy out in the ACL thread, but my all means "shout" if you have further questions.

If you're down South, then I know this guy http://www.mrjameslewis.co.uk can see people pretty quickly, though think he might be away for another week or two.

I'm really not too sure about hanging weights off is the best, but each to their own....

One of the critical things after any knee reconstruction is to get the leg fully extended, so scar tissue does not build up and calcify and subsequently restrict any range of movement, but must admit to not having come across the weights, but can see the logic after having had my knee pressed down by physio's and the like afterwards, but you're still dealing with post injury trauma = swelling etc so best to carry on with ice / anti inflammatories etc

To test your leg extension, or how far off you are, after a bath ( I always find this the best place) having let the water out, sit there and extend your legs flexing your quads etc and see how far your heel lifts off the bottom of the bath compared to your good leg, should be two to three cms, you'd think that fully extended a result would be that the heel is on the bath, but you should be able to lift it up - what a gem of information the interweb is Laughing

You sound like the sort of impatient sports junkie like me, so best of luck !
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Weathercam, debbiem, the cheapest place (in the S of England at least) to get a private MR scan is Cheltenham here http://www.cobalthealth.co.uk/

(PS I have no financial interest in the above organisation)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Freddie Paellahead, "MRI Scans from £218 for a one part scan, including Consultant Radiologist report. "

That's on a par with what I paid - if you can be really flexible I know you can get it for £175 - but that place (Cheltenham) looks good*, do you still need a GP referral though, if not even better !

*Still need a good knee surgeon / consultant that knows what he's doing though - not worth trying to do it cheapo cheapo when it matters!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hells Bells wrote:
Freddie Paellahead, didn't genepi get her dog to sit on hers? Laughing

I didn't exactly 'get' him to, he just threw himself onto it while I was sitting on the floor trying to straighten it - all 43kgs of him Shocked Laughing But it certainly straightened my leg & I avoided the threatened surgery..

Debbiem I'll lend him to you if you like wink Good luck with your knee, joking apart - mine is beginning to feel as if it belongs to me now, following my injury on Xmas Day. Its still rather unstable tough.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hey thanks folks, lots of useful info. Would love to borrow the dog Genepi, they're always happy to help aren't they!

I'm going to phone the place in Cheltenham tomorrow, I'm a couple of hours away but that's ok. My physio told me about a place in Milton Keynes which is only half hour from me, their website says scans within 48 hours and reports in 48 hours, but they've had my consultants referral since Wednesday and on Friday still couldn't tell me a price or give me a date as 'they had a list of urgent patients to deal with first'. They were very unhelpful and didn't care, just what I expect from the NHS but not what I expect if I'm a paying customer.

Maybe I'm being impatient, but its been 5 weeks and seems like a long time to me!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Weathercam, I know that they accept osteopath/chiropracter referrals - so I suspect that they would also accept a physio referral (and possibly a self referral) but don't know for sure.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I can highly recommend these people:

http://www.kneeclinics.co.uk/index.php

Hope you get it sorted soon.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all the info folks. I got an MRI yesterday at a private place in Milton Keynes (£300) and am booked in to get the results with the NHS next Tuesday, so not long before I know what's going on, fingers crossed!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
debbiem wrote:
Thanks for all the info folks. I got an MRI yesterday at a private place in Milton Keynes (£300) and am booked in to get the results with the NHS next Tuesday, so not long before I know what's going on, fingers crossed!
debbiem
You might need to relax it. I had the same symptoms (not being able to straighten the knee) after an injury which I don't even remember doing - didn't twist or fall - but Dr said was arthritis but turned out to be due to overextension. 3 weeks relaxing it (keeping off it) and then quad- strengthening exercises and stretching as well as acupunture from my physio seemed to sort it out, but the underlying cause is stiff ankles and tight calves which means that my knees take more of a beating when I ski. Maybe you are trying to do too much, too soon? Try Yoga? You may also like to get a knee brace for skiing - try www.firstaid4sport.co.uk for a good selection and great service (I am a satisfied customer)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
debbiem,? How did it go Puzzled
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Get it checked out by an expert. There is a mad keen skier / top knee surgeon called Charles Willis-Owen in london who is highly regarded
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy