Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

skiing in warm weather?

Poster: A snowHead
Sorry if this sounds stupid but we are due to drive to Andorra at the weekend and the temperatures forecast for next week look high for the time of year (6 degrees). The snow depths are 80 - 110cm.
In these high temperatures will all of the snow melt and there be nothing to ski on? Or can this depth of snow last for a while?

Thanks in advance
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I doubt if that much snow will melt at 6 degrees especially the snow that has been packed down onto the pistes. The snow on roads, paths and trees may melt but it will unlikely affect your skiing.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

In these high temperatures will all of the snow melt

definitely not in 6 degrees, which isn't very warm - and as you're going this weekend there should be plenty to ski on. Skiing in freezing cold weather is overrated. wink You might find that first thing in the morning the snow is icy, if it freezes overnight, and possibly a bit slushy late in the day, but in between - should be great!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w wrote:
Skiing in freezing cold weather is overrated. wink

Skiing in hot weather is over-rated; skiing in cold weather is what you want. If you want a summer holiday, go on one! Wink

OP, 6 degrees isn't hot. 20 degrees is - as it was when I was in Tignes last April.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Was 8C for the entire birthday bash last year. Snow all week. It'll only disappear if it rains a lot.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks everyone for your comments. Much appreciated as I was panicking that we would be faced with grass and bare mountains, i.e. no skiing.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
we are getting bit worried too.... we are off to italy on the 3rd march...... temp's are raising mid-next week! .....we are hoping they drop soon........
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cbowls30 wrote:
we are getting bit worried too.... we are off to italy on the 3rd march...... temp's are raising mid-next week! .....we are hoping they drop soon........

We are coming back then but I did gulp when i saw the projected temperature for Wednesday next week. It was -20 or more a couple of weeks ago.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Fella I ski'ed in Andorra mid march last year and it was baking hot.

There was no snow at all for the week we were there and then on the last day, it came down a plenty.

As for what to wear, it was normal stuff until about 10.30 then t shirt and sunglasses till about 4.

Don't worry all will be fine
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
No way I'd be in a T shirt at 6 degrees. Mon/Tues, 4 - 6 degrees, wall to wall sun and a little wind chill. Sounds well-nigh perfect to me. Beats minus 20 in a fog, any day.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Maybe i'm made of stern stuff
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I was a bit worried when I saw the rising temperatures in Les Arcs we are due to go to 2000 for the first time on 10th March - having skied in Morillon last year when we had to jump puddles and mud I am keeping my fingers crossed. Sad
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
minus 20 in a fog during February half term holidays does tend to keep the pistes quiet, though ...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If it's sunny in Andorra, don't wear dark ski wear, you'll turn yourself into a walking solar panel and fry, especially in late season.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
if you are still worried have alook at
http://andorrawebcams.andorramania.com/pal.php
Covers most of the country.
snow report
migletski, Just got back from Les Arcs, with the amount of snow they have had there the temps would have to go tropical to shift it!!
Down by the 1800 village walkways there is over a meter of compacted snow, the sides of the roads are lined with 3-4 meters of the stuff.
Its going to be July before they turn the lifts off Laughing
ski holidays
Ricfrench, great news - guess I'm just paranoid after least year. Might have chance to get out again (looking into buying) so good news it could be long season
Smile
snow report
migletski, id say it will be a good year, when we got there the snow was baking quite nicely in -25, by thursday it was a balmy -6. I believe that the temps dropped back a bit this week.
Fantastic skiing out there. The run from Aiguille Rouge to Villaroger was in fantastic condition, it was the first half term week and, ok the top was busy, but lower down it was empty. Peisey vallandry was busy, 1600 very icy, Front du neige icy in places. the higher runs though were brilliant.
So much snow, when we left there was much more than enough coverage to ski down to BSM
snow report
migletski, this is on the drive to the apartment in 1800
P1010082_1079p

I think it will stay for a while Laughing
snow report
It is not the temperature particulalry that eats the snow but the cloud cover and the wind. We skied in la Plagne one year and the day time temperatures were 15 degrees and bright sunshine. The pistes were firm in the morning and soft in the afternoon but there was barely any snow loss because it really froze over night. Another trip the daytime temps were 4 or 5, but the cloud kept the nighttime temperatures above freezing and the gentle wind kept warm air in contact with the snow. We saw half a metre depth disappear in one day.

In short look for the words cloud cover and foen more than temperature.
snow conditions
The forecast for the week ahead in Cervinia looks amazing! Bring it on! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Oh FFS - In a normal year people ski at Mammoth Mt in California until July 4th. It's low latitude and certainly gets warm sunny days and temps well into the 20s. But it has this thing called a snowpack (not so much this year) which is slow to melt. So anyone worrying about Europe this year until at least April is insane.
snow report
fatbob, spot on
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy