Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Question to Instructors and Coaches...

Poster: A snowHead
I've had a very strange realisation as I ski in Austria this week. I much prefer teaching or coaching to free-skiing.

Pretty much all of my skiing for the last three or four years has been teaching or coaching (save for a course, or two, and an AT trip with an Army unit). I've thoroughly enjoyed them all (even the more challenging groups). I was looking forward to this week - my first ski holiday in several years. Somehow, it seems to have disappointed, whilst still being enjoyable. The snow has been excellent (not sure about the next couple of days mind), and the people I've met and skied with have been great; but I just don't seem to be getting as much satisfaction from it.

Has anyone else had this after making the switch to teaching or coaching (whether part-time or full-time)? It just struck me as rather odd that I'd been expecting to have a whale of a time doing what I wanted, when I wanted, only to find out that I prefer the structure and experience of a course or the satisfaction (or power, not sure which Shocked ) that goes with teaching. Maybe I just need some more beginner classes to set me straight!

Sadly it seemed to be rather difficult to get work from my usual source this year, forcing me to holiday instead. Sad
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I enjoy both teaching and skiing, probably equally. But other than a couple of trips to Japan it's been a long time since I considered skiing as a holiday. Different kind of mindset, but it's definitely different now that I ski a lot.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I never really switch off from analysing performance, whether it's of my own performance or anyone else I see on the hill, can't help it. When holiday skiing, I'm skiing with Kitty anyway, so we're constantly giving each other feedback on our own skiing.
I feel the need to do some more courses recently, just for some outside opinions and a differing viewpoint.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ever since I went full time teaching in 2003 I really love and live for the buzz of teaching as opposed to free-skiing. There are definitely days and times when the skiing itself is the attraction but teaching is my passion these days and I guess passing the passion onto the next generation and 'sharing the love' is my motivation day in day out.... but like others have said it is a long time since I a) considered skiing as a holiday or b) took a skiing holiday..... maybe will go heli-skiing in Alaska for my honeymoon - perhaps if we can afford it - THAT would be the first ski holiday in a LONG time.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skisimon, Go ski and teach off-piste for a bit, I got fed up with teaching again! Bloody pistes get more dangerous. Just do hours of private just-off-piste, or afternoons or mornings Off-piste, challenge will bring the enjoyment back. Problem is you won’t want to go back.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The same thing for me - going to austria next week. Thinking over about lessons for me in bumps etc with a "stadtliche ski lehrer" (level above me), instead of skiing all week with my lads.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skisimon, I really enjoy both, but I don't think it's an 'either or'.

If you are going down the BASI route, you may have got very used to practising all the demos, analysing your performance etc... and not left enough space for some fun.

My recipe is as follows; 1) smile wink 2) really bad jokes Shocked 3) doing different stuff (Tele, blade, snowboard) 4) Doing different slopes (bumps, off piste)
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skisimon, I'm sure you could always find someone willing to tag along for your weeks holiday that you could throw some tips at whilst you are away wink Toofy Grin

Mind you, despite your thread title, is this just a problem for instructors and trainers and is it only linked to skiing? I have always found it far more gratifying to teach and explain something to someone than to just get on and do it myself. I think there is something very fundamental about satisfaction that can be gained from passing on knowledge. If I ever had my time again, or was made redundant with no other option I'd retrain as a science teacher.

Mind you I will follow this thread with interest - on more than one occasion I've wondered whether instructors still enjoy their skiing as a holiday experience so it's interesting to see the thread posted.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have yet to go on a ski holiday. But, at home I prefer to teach than free ski, probably because I always seem to be training for something and I'm basically lazy. snowHead
When I'm free skiing I can't turn my brain off.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I find a blast around with a bunch of fellow instructors once a week always clears the head. I try and aim for something that I'm not so good at and get feedback. Maybe I should try a little more Park skiing if the knees can stand it!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I enjoy both and if I ever get a little jaded from too much teaching I find that a good blast out skiing for myself re-kindles my enthusiasm for teaching.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I`ve had this year off from teaching in Canada, for the first time in 4 years, to take my wife on a three week holiday and save a bit of cash for next season. I had a great time, but found myself envious of all of the instructors around me, and really missed the snow school vibe. Having said that, its nice to muck about , not wearing a snow school jacket, especially if you face plant hard ! Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Someone once said to me, if you make a career out of a hobby, you need to find a new hobby.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jbob, +1
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just my opinion for what its worth!!!

My idea at one time was to become an ISTD and teach in France. Having moved to France where I have many friends who work for ESF and othe English ski schools, the balance of teaching good skiers to spending days with children and beginners is an interesting conundrum which I have observed from the side lines. Consequently I personally only want to teach at peak periods where regardless of your ability, the mountains are so crowded that unless you are an instructor, the queueing can make any day frustrating but with a ski school uniform on, you get to use the ski school line so queues are overcome. I agree with jbob that there is a danger of your hobby or passion becoming your job and having seen it for myself, some grow to see it just as a job regardless of what it is.

I took up telemarking because alpine was becoming a bit stale but if thats not for you, go on some BASI Courses where you will certainly find out a lot about your own skiing and how the terminology/teaching techniques have been updated. I taught Army novices for 20 years and having recently completed another BASI Level, it has enthused me to analyse my skiing and those around me but I will still only ever do part time due to wanting to have the freedom to be on the mountain on those special days when it dumps rather than stuck in the kiddy cage teaching ploughs to punters. Don't take this the wrong way, I think that full time instructors are amazing and very patient to be able to do what they do 7 days a week from Dec-Apr but thats not for me.

know what you like and like what you know!!!
snow conditions
Maybe the question should be "Do you teach so you can ski, or ski so you can teach?"

Personally, I ski so I can teach - I like teaching beginners, and I love teaching very little kids. Very Happy
snow conditions
skinanny wrote:
Maybe the question should be "Do you teach so you can ski, or ski so you can teach?"

Personally, I ski so I can teach - I like teaching beginners, and I love teaching very little kids. Very Happy

+1

18 seasons of teaching and I definitely ski so I can teach... enjoy all levels and ages, ski and snowboard, on piste and off piste, group and privates. But as they say 'variety is the spice of life,' so mixing it up is what floats my boat. e.g. yesterday on piste red run private sort of level (skis), today 2 adults basic snowboarding freestyle.
latest report
"Do you teach so you can ski, or ski so you can teach?"

Does it have to be one or the other? I like both!
latest report
kieranm wrote:
"Do you teach so you can ski, or ski so you can teach?"

Neither

OK then, this is going to make me REALLY popular with all other instructors who have worked hard to get their ticket and now want to start earning some real cash rolling eyes Laughing rolling eyes Laughing

I run a TO and we have to employ instructors for our clients as some of em want lessons. Around 3 per week (6 hrs per day, 6 days a week) most weeks and between 15 and 20 at half term and New Year.

I teach so I don't have to employ yet another instructor.

This saves my around 15,000 to 20,000 euro per year - remember I have to pay the school not the teacher so the cost, to me, is higher. And yes it means that another hard working instructor is left with nowt to earn, but........ Blush

Don't misunderstand, I enjoy teaching but, given the chance, I'd rather be whizzing around having a laugh. I go on as many ski "holidays" as Mrs_W will allow me to and I have time for.

I'm not racist thought - given the chance I will not employ a British, French, Italian, German or any other nationality instructors Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy