Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chalet Fireplace Inspiration needed.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The boss wants to redo the living room in our chalet, and wants the kachelofen replaced.

We are looking for some inspirations for a traditional chalet fireplace and what it should look like.

So far we are a little unimpressed with the local offerings.

We have plenty of space but would prefer something not too deep or monstrous.

If you are at a chalet somewhere where you think the fireplace is really nice and can post a link or a picture that would be great.

If you are really an expert yourself or know someone who might help, then even better.

Thanks,
Nixmap.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Get a woodburning stove instead - much safer, more efficient on fuel if you spend a bit of money on it, and better with kids around.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Monium wrote:
Get a woodburning stove instead - much safer, more efficient on fuel if you spend a bit of money on it, and better with kids around.

That is exactly what we are trying to get rid of - thanks anyway though.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
sounds like a backward step in the name of aesthetics over function.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nixmap, Some thought provoking stuff on Chalet fires here

There is also the insurance aspect. I have to prove that our Chimney is swept each year. (I think it's the law?)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Do a google search for chalet fireplaces and check out images, there are loads, hopefully one might provide inspiration
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
dudders wrote:
sounds like a backward step in the name of aesthetics over function.

Precisely so.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nail a big mooses head with massive antlers over it....it'll look way cool.

Or better still, nail a boarders head up there instead.....you can't beat a bit of 'mountainkill' to up the authenticity on a gaf.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nix if it's aesthetics she is after, you still don't have to throw away the concept of a stove. There are some really nice contemporty wood burning stoves on the market, both freestanding or harth built in.

You can have aesthetically pleasing, and efficiency with a decent contemporary stove.

The modern one's have back secondary wash vents that recyle the gasses back down the front of the window where it reburns in the stove again, making it both efficient (compared to an open fire where most the heat goes striaght up the the chimney) and clean - the hot air being vented back down the glass cleans it so you can enjoy watching the flames without it spitting embers at you Happy

Worth a look, just google contemporary stoves and look around.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Then again I just read you said "traditional". Surely whopping great kachelofen's are exactly that ! Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
When burning wood, an open fire is at best about 5% efficient, once the fire is out and the warm flue is vacuuming the warm air out of the building, they have negative efficiency and are making the building colder, stick with a stove, the open fire is an inefficient monstrosity that has no place in the 21st century.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
tangowaggon, I've got one and it's quality in the winter. I am in a big old terrace flat though so with any luck it's vacuuming the warmth from my neighbours flats, through mine then out the door.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy