Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

special birthday weekend in Crans - worth it??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking for affirmation, of some sort - celebrating my 50th end of March and looking at maybe a luxe weekend in Crans, staying at LeCrans and a couple of days skiing - the cost is extraordinary, though, and pretty much we're already in 100% cancellation mode - need some encouragement or warning away from someone in the know ... i understand it's mostly south facing, so what chance of decent skiing (despite all the snow recently), and has anyone stayed at this place? It looks spectactular and romantic, but worth the four figure per night cost?! Any chance they might have offers closer to the time or are they more likely to book up?

Can't think of a nicer bday celebration than a luxury ski weekend, but ...?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have stayed and love crans as a resort also - we have always have fantastic snow 2 years ago it was still snowing in mid march - the resort is quite large as you can ski montana and aminona, the run from the glacier is spectacular. There is a fantastic range of runs most are quite wide, the piste nationale is a great run and there are some challenging blacks as well as some deserted runs that run through cliffs in aminona. Sorry for waxing lyrical but I adore the place - crans village is also great especially the cafe on the corner that serves the biggest and most delicious hot chocolates. Mmmmmm
Any Specific Q's just ask
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
tartegnin, if you're bothered about the cost (and who wouldn't be....) there are heaps and heaps of places you could have a lovely luxury birthday weekend without spending that much. Somewhere in euro-land could be a lot cheaper. I've never been there - but Lech has always appealed greatly and I bet there are lovely hotels there.

In France, there are some very upmarket places in Megeve - not cheap, but less than 4 figures a night, I'd guess. It's not the ideal resort for the end of March though.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
tartegnin, Agree with pam w, Lech will give you loads of bang for your buck. Good enough for the Royals to camp out there occasionally. Fab hotels and restaurants both on and off the mountain.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
tartegnin, we have a place down the hill - skied at christmas, just had half term and will be there for weekends in march and then easter - the lecrans is a fabulous new hotel very near the pistes - not ski-in and out but they have a hotel car which will take you to the nearest access - if you walk 200m you are on a big piste down to Crans bottom station. Snow is great this year, and there are around 120km of piste, including the long tubang run from plaine morte to barzettes (around 18km and nearly 2km drop). It is mostly south facing, so a few of the very lowest runs can get soft, but at end of march we have had fantastic skiing for year after year. We have had some excellent late falls in some years, enough for the off-piste fields down to cabane de bois to be huge fun. The new chetseron restaurant is a wonderful place - boy it's tough lying on a sheepfleece on a timber deck in a modernist restaurant, looking at the Materhorn one way and Mont Blanc the other. And food of higher quality but the same price as Eurozone. Yves Caillet at the excellent SMS (Swiss Mountain Sports) provides great tuition or guiding. And if you book through the CMA tourist office you may get the 30pc reduction which is going this year for late season bookings.....
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd love to ski in Crans one day. I spent seven (I think it was seven) consecutive summer holidays there as a child.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
valais2, ...sorry realised that the final sentence was ambiguous - the 30pc reduction applies to accommodation across many hotels in Crans this season...see the Crans Montana Tourism website...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Spent a week in Crans Montana four years ago at Easter with my family, expensive but excellent. Do it.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks, all, for the recommendations and encouragement! Lech sounds wonderful, but Crans has numerous advantages (outside of cost), primarily, it's a 90 minute drive for us. We love Megeve, but not at the end of March. Happy to hear the snow should be good - I figured with the 3+m base at the moment, we should be ok. We will definitely want an instructer, so thanks for the SMS suggestion - we're at solid intermediate level, so if Yves is a great guide, he might be bored with us ... still, I'll contact him and find out.

I will definitely check the CMA site to see if we can get a reduction, but I've looked in "all the usual places" and haven't found so much as one franc off at that hotel ...

Pedantica - were you in Crans in the summers at camp? I was at the International Summer Camp Montana many moons ago ... turns out my bro-in-law was there at the same time ... small world, often.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
tartegnin,
Quote:

were you in Crans in the summers at camp?
No, family holidays. My parents played golf a lot and my sister and I kicked around with local kids. It was great fun and very good for our French (though not our accents, the horrible, sing-song Valaisan accent was hard to eradicate). The first chalet we stayed in was in Montana and it was long enough ago that the two villages were still completely separate!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
lucky you! and yes, when I was in camp, I recall the villages as separate too, and glacier skiing was available all summer ...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy