Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hinterglemm - January 2013

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello

I'm looking to join family out in Hinterglemm, who have already booked for a week in Jan 2013. I'll be travelling solo and am therefore looking for advice on potential cheap tour ops who go there or a good cheap DIY option.

Having looked on the Saalbach website and priced up flights, the DIY route looks likely to be more expensive than the cheapest tour-op quote (£580 for half-board) so I'm hoping someone can recommend a tour operator who I've never heard of (i've already checked Inghams, Crystal & Neilson) or maybe let me in on the secret to keeping solo-DIY cehap.

Also, does anyone have any good knowledge of hire shops in Hinterglemm? Again, cost is the main priority for me, but my last set of boots hired through a tour-op were atrocious so I'd rather go direct to a shop this time.

Thanks in advance for any help.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
milzibkit, unless you are trying to be there over New Year, I'd be amazed if you couldn't manage a DIY trip for much less than £580. Flights to Salzburg are likely to be around £90 return, train to Zell am See and postbus to Hinterglemm will be around €50 return, and you should be able to find a single room in a pension for about €35 per night B&B. I make that about £300.

If you are trying for New Year, fly to Munich or Vienna instead and get the train via Salzburg - Munich and Vienna have scheduled flights which don't sell out so fast at peak skiing times, so the prices will be a lot lower.

All of the hire shops in Hinterglemm are reasonable, with good kit at a price which isn't too expensive. Depending on where in the village you are staying, the ski school Activ at the Zwolferkogel and Intersport Breitfuss in the central area are the ones I'd recommend.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ousekjarr, thanks for the reply. Flights released so far work out at £130 return and I had priced up a direct transfer from Salzburg to Hinterglemm - if I can get the train to Zell for less then I'll certainly investigate the possibility.

Thanks for the info.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
milzibkit,

For the train Salzburg - Zell am see use the website : http://www.oebb.at/en/index.jsp You won't be able to buy a ticket until a few months before your trip. Cost of € 50 quoted by ousekjarr is about right. Journey time is about 90 minutes

Once in Zell make your way to the bus station (5 minute walk). There are hourly buses to Hinterglemm - cost is about €8 return. Journey time is about 40 minutes.

Enjoy! Saalbach Hinterglemm is a great resort!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
milzibkit, Up until Sat 12th January, Hinterglemm will be full of Russians celebrating New Year & Christmas, so few bargains to be had on accommodation, but try the Toursit office anyway. After 12th you'll be OK and should find a Pension/B&B for €30-€40 a night. Beware of being offered rooms in Lengau or Hochalm - these are way outside of Hinterglemm if you're looking for nightlife, although quite well located for the Hochalm pistes.

Absolute cheapest transfer from Salzburg Airport is the 260 Postbus, which runs to Zell am See. You change at the crossroads at Maishofen, just outside of Zell, and pick up the 680 Postbus to Hinterglemm. About €12 each way. The train is a faff, as you have to get into Salzburg on the trolleybus from the airport. If you do take the train to Zell, the Hinterglemm bus (680) stops outside the station, so no need to drag your gear to the bus station. The other alternative is a transfer - Google 'Holiday Shuttle Hinterglemm' or 'Vorderegger' - about €50 - €70 for a return transfer.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
quinton, The Holiday Shuttle has just increased its price to 75 euros for the return trip (39 euros one way), but from what you say the public bus seems to represent a worthwhile saving. I've never used the bus - am I right in thinking that it leaves regularly and reliably from the Airport, and from your experience are there any downsides or things to watch about using it. Presumably you don't pre-book the ticket? (I realise that www.oebb.at will give me the schedule).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tatman's Tours wrote:
quinton, The Holiday Shuttle has just increased its price to 75 euros for the return trip (39 euros one way), but from what you say the public bus seems to represent a worthwhile saving. I've never used the bus - am I right in thinking that it leaves regularly and reliably from the Airport, and from your experience are there any downsides or things to watch about using it. Presumably you don't pre-book the ticket? (I realise that www.oebb.at will give me the schedule).

Wow that price is nuts! I've done the public bus trip from Salzburg Airport to Saalbach a fair few times for around €10, or about €6 from Lofer (if going from Innsbruck). A very easy trip, the hardest part being walking 20 metres down a hill in Maishofen to get the connecting bus.

You would need VERY cheap flights to Munich or Vienna for that to work out cheaper inc. transfer
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
milzibkit, I agree with clarky999 about the flights. You will get cheaper flights maybe, as low as €50-60 return from Munich or Vienna, however, they will both seriously add to your travel time compared to Salzburg. Munich by 2 hours each way and Vienna by nearer 4 hours. Salzburg is only about an hour and a quarter so think carefully about how important the flight price is? €130 at that time of year is not bad for Salzburg.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
clarky999, As a matter of interest, do you pre-book the tickets or buy them as you get on the bus. Have you ever been concerned about not being able to get a bus (or on an already full one). Presumably you check the schedule on www.oebb.at and plan accordingly?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tatman's Tours wrote:
clarky999, As a matter of interest, do you pre-book the tickets or buy them as you get on the bus. Have you ever been concerned about not being able to get a bus (or on an already full one). Presumably you check the schedule on www.oebb.at and plan accordingly?

Just check the schedule and turn up - to be honest I've never really thought about there not being enough room (I'll be worrying about that next time now lol)! It's never been a problem so far though.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy