Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Another what ski's question...

cran
cran
Ok, I've been skiing over a week now and I'm doing blacks and off piste and (small) jumps and almost skiing backwards (on purpose)... so reckon I'm good enough (although if you ask other people they might disagree) to get some decent planks.

I have some K2 Apache Stryker's which are great on piste and go quite fast and seem to work in powder off the sides of the pistes but I have nothing to compare them with.
I also have some K2 silencers, which are great fun for messing about on but are not great on steep blacks and ice.

What I'm looking for is:

Good on steep blacks
good on moguls
good in powder
twin tip

If that's not enough... can I have it on a stick as well Toofy Grin

Any recommendations?

So far I have line Prophet 98's on my list but haven't found anywhere to rent a pair to try yet.

Thanks!!!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kung Fujas?

Similar dimensions to the Prophet 98. My Seth Vicious are similar to the Kung Fujas. Not brilliant in moguls but thats because ive got the 189's

Theres also an Atomic Ski this year that is similar to the Prophet 98 but the name escapes me

Apparently 98mm is the magic number for this winter
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Scott Punisher? That's what I'm looking at as an every day fun ski.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
cran, I take it you will probably be straight lining steep blacks & moguls given the amount of snow time under your belt, have you managed to clock your speed because it may reflect on your final choice of ski?

I imagine you'll be laying down some big angles by now so maybe you will want somefin much wider than current something around 130 under foot & defo rockered tip to tail!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scott Neo?

http://www.scott-sports.com/global/en/products/2199849992156/ski-scott-neo-156/

Stiff underfoot. Softer at the tips and tails. *Semi* twin tip. I used an older 166 cm version, which feels more like 156 cm on the piste. Surprisingly good on bumps.

Edit: actually if you've only done a bit over a week, I don't think this ski would be good for you. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to lecture you about the merits of lessons. Smile

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 22-02-12 23:12; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh! Nearly forgot....you might wanna think about a helmet, I'm not suggesting you are likely to hit someone but those first day newbies probably haven't fully mastered speed control in their carving technique yet and are a little unpredictable!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Gosh! am I too late to suggest lessons....you really should consider it you know and "give something back" to those just embarking on this long road of leaning.
snow conditions
 cran
cran
gatecrasher, The just over a week was a little bit of an understatement / tongue in cheek Toofy Grin , just meant I'm not a beginner any more, but by no means advanced either. I've done about 10 weeks total, 2 last year and the year before, and 8 weeks since December. I ski 4-5 times a week, mostly half days at the moment.

I've had some lessons, a couple when I first started and a couple of hours since then every week or two.

I can carve reds, and skid blacks to control my speed, side slipping is no problem if I need to. I don't mind straight lining reds, but haven't really got the bottle to straight line blacks yet, especially bumpy ones Shocked

Have a helmet, have always had one since I wiped out on ice and got concussion on my first day Cool

Thanks for the advice so far.

kruked, shoogly, I considered Kunk Fujas, but I don't think they have a twin tip.
The Scotts and Atomics look interesting and I can probably hire them to try out easier than the Line's

Walter-Spitty, Neo's also look interesting, but I would need at least 176 (as I'm 5'11")

Thanks's for the suggestions, feel free to post more Cool

[edit] Just checked out the Kung Fujas again, and they are twin tip Cool
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

The just over a week was a little bit of an understatement / tongue in cheek

cran, Yep gathered that! wink I take it you missed this then! rolling eyes

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=86262&highlight=
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
HEAD Motorhead Rock n' Roll, love them to bits. Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Spyderman wrote:

Eh. do you like head, motorhead and rock n roll or all three?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
cran wrote:

What I'm looking for is:

Good on steep blacks
good on moguls
good in powder
twin tip

If that's not enough... can I have it on a stick as well Toofy Grin

I don't wholly believe in the idea of a 'quiver of one'. Seems like you'll have to compromise on something.

Still, you could have a think about something like the ON3P Jeffrey. Bit awkward to demo it this side of the Atlantic though.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
shoogly, agreed Smile Punishers
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Spyderman wrote:

I'd love to see a pensioner on 'em

http://www.freeride.co.uk/img/review/original/8064_pic1c.jpg
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tried Kung fujas, Prophet 98s and Movement Jams and liked the KFs least of all those. Ended up with Storm Range twinnies and they are great fun (can also be found very cheap on Ebay if you don't mind last years graphics. Storm are a local company to me and have met the guy who runs it and he is really friendly and helpful (and knows his stuff!). He tells me his biggest market for Rages are seasonaires who are after just one pair of skis to do it all so could be what you are looking for!
snow report
 cran
cran
Ended up getting Movement Source 177's.

135-94-121

Tried them out for a day, really liked them, and bought them for 200€ with bindings Toofy Grin

Would be silly not to at that price...

snow report
Great choice, always liked Movement skis
snow report
Nice one..

I found the tails of the Kung Fujas to be too soft for me, but it only really was obvious on piste. There was also the issue that all my local shops which stocked the KF only had the ones pre-drilled for the Schizofrantic bindings and I wanted Baron or Dukes.

The others I considered were the Scott Mission, but I settled on the Movement Jam based on the fact they were £100 cheaper than the Missions, and certainly aren't £100 worse a ski. Of course, of the three the KF is the only one that's twin-tip.
snow report
cran, nice choice. I've ended up with Prophet 98s. A bit softer in the nose than my current Hardsides, but around the same stiffness in the tail with the capwall construction. Semi-twinnies as well so I can learn that switch thing. Can't wait for next season to start now Very Happy Very Happy

Once you've skied them in anger, give us a review of the Source.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy