Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Somewhere like Jungfrau region/Wengen but not Jungfrau region/Wengen

Poster: A snowHead
1st post Embarassed

So hello everyone, been lurking for a month or so...
Just back from a week in Wengen hiking and sledging, not currently a skiier or a boarder - but have intentions this year (must admit I said that this time last year - and did do a dry slope ski beginners course in Warley (Brentwood/Essex)... but family commitments prevented any further lessons.

Didn't seem fair on the Mrs (I'm a little more practiced) to go with lessons in Resort - so we decided to have fun with Sledges for a week Madeye-Smiley

Onto the subject... Can anyone recommend or suggest somewhere *like* Wengen but not Wengen ?.. as we'd like to open our horizons a little, but be safe in the knowledge of not choosing some place we'd regret and wish we'd gone to Wengen AGAIN (been a few times now).

By that i mean sort of fills the following criteria:

1. Quaint (car free) & not too busy - we will always go out of UK/Eur school holidays
2. Sunny aspect (ie not north/east facing slopes)
3. Good for beginners (appreciate that Wengen/Jungfrau/Mannlichen actually is not that great in this respect).
4. Nightlife is not on our must have list... see #1 Embarassed
5. Cheaper than Wengen ? - would be nice.. but appreciate CHF/GBP is mainly to blame at present
6. Hopefully better connection/travel time

Appreciate any pointers people may or may not have... and look forward to contributing where i can to a good forum.

thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to active Snowhead status gamer2471 - you may find it addictive.
Not many completely traffic free places - might it be enough that there is only light traffic and no through traffic to somewhere else? The best slopes for snow are normally North facing so resorts tend to develop those slopes more. Austria is even quainter than Switzerland on the whole and much cheaper. Someone will probably be on who knows Austrian resorts better than I do. Switzerland is the most expensive largely because, as you say, of the exchange rate.
La Plagne in France might suit some of those requirements except, like most French resorts, it isn't quaint (someone may be on later to say which La Plagne village). The transfer from the airport is fairly long, but you can go out and back on the overnight train instead of flying, if you wish, which gives you 8 days skiing instead of 6 for your week at the hotel. The Sella Ronda area in the Dolomites in Italy are spectacularly beautiful and the slopes sunny and the skiing not difficult but the transfer can be difficult.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi, from another first-timer Embarassed

Maybe have a look at Les Gets? Although it isn't car-free and doesn't have huge mountains you can reach out and touch (though there can be nice views of Mont Blanc), it is pretty, very good for beginners (as well as more accomplished skiers), and fairly close to Geneva. We started going there ?? years ago, mainly due to the British-run ski schools (who have always served us very well), and have always enjoyed it. There's quite a strong British presence. Nightlife exists but not obtrusively. There are prepared paths for winter-walkers but no long sledge runs of the Jungfrau sort. It can be busy at peak times but out of school holidays I wouldn't have thought it would be a problem. Not sure about relative costs ...

I hope this helps - I'm sure others will have other suggestions!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
gamer2471, snowmum123, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead

Zermatt is "car free" but probably fails to qualify on a number of the other counts. Avoriaz is car free but not "quaint" - though it is very unusual.

I suggest you drop the "car free" and then your choices will be much wider. Plenty of resorts, throughout the Alps, would be worth looking at.

You might also find, depending on when you travel, and the weather that year, that you would regret being anywhere where almost all results are sun-facing.

But one such is La Rosiere - it's not car-free but it's small and manageable, there's good skiing for beginners, the views are lovely and there are good ski schools.

Of the places I know the one which comes closes to fulfilling your brief is Megeve. The town centre is car-free and very attractive. There's loads of very well groomed easy and intermediate skiing, plenty of sunny slopes (but also shadier areas, for when the snow on the sunny slopes is suffering too much) and stunning scenery (Mont Blanc "in yer face").

One specific suggestion is Simon Butler skiing http://www.simonbutlerskiing.com/

I've not stayed there, and have no connection, but they get good reports and because the ski instruction is fully integrated with the holiday it's a good formula for people on their first trip, as it takes a lot of the uncertainties out of the picture.

Megeve can be an expensive resort (few places outside Paris have more Michelin-starred restaurants) but if you are in a catered chalet you don't need to patronise them! And don't go to the "chalet nick-nacks" shop where large amounts of Alpine tat is on sale at silly prices. Nowhere but Megeve could charge you several euros for a pine cone. wink

There are beautiful shops in Megeve centre, with very covetable clothes, boots, ski gear. But again, you don't need to shop there.

The slopes are quiet out of peak season - a lot of people seem to go there to stroll around the shops looking chic, rather than go out skiing and risk their mascara running.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pam w, thankyou for taking the time to write such a comprehensive reply.. Megeve is now on shortlist - the Mrs is a bit fussy Laughing

Snowmum123.. going to look on the Internet more about Les Gets, so thanks for the direction.. will investigate further now.

Snowball, hmm Austria.. unless some others can pinpoint a few resorts ?... I'll have a general search online for Austria too... Cheap and quaint sounds good to me. Hopefully find something of interest..

anyone know of any websites that lists resorts so easy to click in and out and compare ?

it's all want want want with me Toofy Grin
Hopefully be able to actually contribute, further down the line (if anyone wants to know about Wengen or Jungfrau region in general i can defo answer a few Q's there Laughing )

cheers
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The obvious website is this one: http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/skiresorts/default.aspx. I hope it helps. Happy choosing! (Megeve does sound nice. If you want to know more about Les Gets, do ask.)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Consider Zell Am See in Austria. Very easy short transfer from Salzburg airport (80 minutes), very quaint, beginner friendly, sunny slopes & much cheaper than Switzerland.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oooo! thanks Ben..

looks just like the sort of place we were thinking... found this website and has GREAT interactive piste maps :

http://www.zellamsee-kaprun.com/en

probably top of our list now - been looking at this place with great interest - so thanks a Million ! Cool
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How about Murren ? Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've been to megeve and stayed at the Simon butler chalet, I liked it so much I've now been 7 times, the tuition is excellent as is the chalet but most importantly the ski area is superb.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just to throw a curveball... anyone any opinions on Obergurgl ? (the resort name makes me laugh Laughing - I'm a simple soul Embarassed )
1 hour from Airport sounds good.. looks nice enough and so far looking at a few Chalets a bit cheaper than Wengen... Although what's the betting we just end up with what we know and head back to the BOberland

Simon Butler's place is impressive (92% repeater rate) - Certainly in my little book of places to checkout.

Also Timh - don't suppose you know any places in Murren ala "Chalet Services" in Wengen - who we could approach for S/C Chalets in Murren ?

thanks
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
gamer2471 wrote:
Just to throw a curveball... anyone any opinions on Obergurgl ? (the resort name makes me laugh Laughing - I'm a simple soul Embarassed )

thanks

Went to Obergurgl a couple of times in the 90s. Nice place, but limited terrain. I'm a Wengen addict (22nd season this year!) and Obergurgl didn't do it for me. It's a high-end sort of a place though, smart and expensive.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Obergurgl? High, treeless, purpose built. Lots of good points, I'm sure, but "quaintness" can't be one of them. Look at Obergurgl on google images.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
Obergurgl? High, treeless, purpose built. Lots of good points, I'm sure, but "quaintness" can't be one of them. Look at Obergurgl on google images.

True. Not as bad as e.g. Avoriaz or Flaine, but not quaint either.

this is quite a flattering view.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
those were the views i saw on the net... looked small and , well... "quaintish" Happy
I'll bow to your better judgements.

Still searching for S/C places in Murren - we have a good relationship with Dorothee of Chalet Services in Wengen - need someone like her but over in Murren for a change..

BTW - do the Von Allmen's have a monopoly on Wengen ? - or is it just a co-incidence i see plumbers, electricians, residential sales/estate agents even their "shopping service" goods come from a shop registered to that Surname...

Quite a little empire ?
ski holidays
gamer2471, Several different families with the same Name they may be related in the distant past but it's certainly not an empire, for instance Paul Von Allmen owner of of the Hotel Alpenrose has a sister Margrit who is married to Erich Leemann and they run the Park hotel in Wengen but that's it as far as his immediate family is concerned, however the family has been in the village pretty much since it started, they owned the very first hotel there, so it should come as no surprise to find it a common name, up until well past the middle of the 20th century it was still uncommon in the mountain villages to marry anyone from any great distance away so you get certain common names
snow conditions
gamer2471, Have a look at Lech, and OberLech. Lovely places, Oberlech is entirely car free, you get to it through a network of underground tunnels. Close to (skiable distance) St Anton if you want gnarly stuff, but Oberlech in particular is gentle blues and easy reds. Not cheap, but nor is Wengen, and IMHO Oberlech is far better, more modern lifts, better groomed pistes, not living of old glories etc etc etc.

Plus they are in AUSTRIA! Madeye-Smiley

If it's of any interest we stayed in the Hotel Petersboden which was very comfortable indeed and literally on the side of the piste.
snow report
gamer2471, what Axsman, is spot on, especially if you like some sledging. The Rodelbahn is open till 10 at night and starts right outside the Petersboden (think it's actually the Sporthotel Cresta) but only 20m of a difference. It is expensive to stay there (ie accomodation) but ok pricewise to eat and drink on mountian - ie cheaper than the big French resorts and probably most of Switzerland.
snow conditions
Sledging was great fun down from Mannlichen, crossing the pistes was a matter of timing it right not to scrub off too much speed but also being responsible enough to give way and let skiiers and boarders through... Eiger runs were brilliant if a little short...
Also "think" it helped a newbie skiier with getting my mind set in putting weight on outside to turn opposite direction... I've ridden bikes for too long, to want to keep lean into corners.. Well not lean but at least put weight on the opposite side.. Idea By middle of the week I could slalom and turn on a six-pence Cool

Anyway I digress...thankyou for the info on the resort and hotel recommendation.... One thing that I notice... Not too many of these places have s/c chalets for 2 people....Don't want to keep harking back but the s/c chalet place we use in Wengen (Breithorn Residence) is 50% of the reason we keep going back to Wengen.

I guess s/c chalets for 2 or 4 people are difficult to find in all resorts... I'll keep looking though, if anyone has any good rental sites for those resorts suggested it would be good ... I have looked but if anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears.

Thanks again to all those replying... Good forum this !
Very Happy
snow report
www.oberlech.com and use the search facility for apartments. A few apartments in oberlech and the ones I've seen are in great locations.
snow report
gamer2471, what exactly do you mean by a s/c chalet? Do you want an entire building/small house to yourselves? If so, there are plenty of very nice ones available but they would be for more people, and be quite expensive. But if you want an apartment for 2 or 4, there are loads of them, everywhere. In France you can get a very wide variety of apartments, from very cheap to very expensive, and loads of different locations (slope-side, middle of town, etc etc). I daresay Austria and Italy have plenty of apartments to rent, too. Where are you looking? Or are you looking for a hotel where you can have your own suite?

What are your requirements?
snow report
Axsman, You are aware that HMRC read this Stayed in Lech by the piste! where is his return?
ski holidays
Cynic, All funded with tax paid monies. Honest guv. Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy