Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Moguls

Poster: A snowHead
Have they changed shape over the last few years? From personal experience they seem to have become more "truncated" ie a sharo drop off on the back side. Am I imagining this? Or is it because I am not avoiding them as much as I used to? And what causes it, I suspect a combination of snow boards and fatter skis may be responsible. Any views?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just twist and scrape with asile on your face Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lots of variables, more than enough to keep a sedimentologist amused for a while. My perception is that "big" moguls that are left to develop through a sustained dry or low snow period do get very large with very deep troughs below them.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My observation suggests that moguls are a different shape on the slopes and hills where snowboarders like to play. I associate long ridge-like moguls running down the mountain with our boarding friends, rather than the short, almost conical variety left by skiers. I imagine that's because skis are more nimble than boards in the bumps.

I might be imagining this, though.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snowboards don't do moguls, so whatever the cause of this mystery, i doubt it can be blamed on boarders.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
monkey wrote:
Snowboards don't do moguls, so whatever the cause of this mystery, i doubt it can be blamed on boarders.
That's true in Europe. North American boarders are made of sterner stuff, though. I see loads of boarders in the bumps over there.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Tend to agree (as a boarder).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Moguls tend to become diamond shaped if used by boarders and agree with jonny jones, although the only day to ski moguls is when they are being formed IMO
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I imagine that's because skis are more nimble than boards in the bumps.

Probably true but that could because skiers have a more stable platform of two edges most of the time?
Imagine doing it on one ski (only one edge contact all the time). Maybe why you don't see many boarders on the bumps.
I still like to give it a go but after a few slides and crashes the novelty wears off!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
A board in soft bumps is good fun. Not so sure about hard icy ones though I'd probably take the same view on ski's.

PsychoBabble, I think the shape tends depends on the pitch and how hard they have been skied. Bumps on a steeper pitch with lots of skiers form as you say. Less so on shallower pitches.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I teach skiing and snowboarding here in Val d'Isere and I have taken and taught people in bumps on both... it is totally possible (and assessable part of the examination process) to board moguls.

In the old days of longer straighter skis more skill was required to learn how to pivot skis effectively whilst maintaining balance.... modern technology has meant people can be less skilful yet tackle more challenging terrain then ever before and therefore your average skier on the mountain is not as able to turn a ski in a nicer effective and technically better arc so bumps become cut off on the back as opposed to rounded.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The shape is down to the shape of turns that has formed them, and that is largely governed by the terrain. I remember mogul fields 20 years ago with steeper starts often having sharper drops as more skiers had traversed once the bumps had formed, but then lower down the bumps would get rounder as people got into the rhythm as the gradient decreased. Maybe you are now tackling moguls on steeper terrain so encounter this more often?

I think that ski shape/evolution has made very little difference to bump shape, although there may be fewer shallow bumps fields these days?

In moguls competitions the shape of bumps after a day of training by World Cup athletes is dramatically different to that after a day of training by lower level competitors. This is purely to do with the turn shape and how much people are putting the brakes on.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Steve Angus, That's an interesting take on it. I can probably agree with it!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You are all wrong.

Moguls (from the Latin Moocall) are formed when slow moving herds of cows (hence “moo” call) cannot get down to below the snowline at the start of the winter and are frozen stiff by the first of the winter’s blizzards. Due to global warming, older, fatter cows are now able to stay higher up much longer than they would have been able to do in the past. The occurrence of larger cows under the snow in recent years has been evidenced by the larger, more round shape of the Moguls/MooCalls.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wayne wrote:
You are all wrong.

Moguls (from the Latin Moocall) are formed when slow moving herds of cows (hence “moo” call) cannot get down to below the snowline at the start of the winter and are frozen stiff by the first of the winter’s blizzards. Due to global warming, older, fatter cows are now able to stay higher up much longer than they would have been able to do in the past. The occurrence of larger cows under the snow in recent years has been evidenced by the larger, more round shape of the Moguls/MooCalls.

If I have very noisy kids and im teaching them moguls then I tell them a similar (sort of story).... that they are sleeping bears in their dens and they cannot be too loud otherwise they'll wake up and gobble them alive!!!! haa haa. Usually ensues a quiet few mins.
snow conditions
Steve Angus wrote:
they are sleeping bears in their dens and they cannot be too loud otherwise they'll wake up and gobble them alive!!!!

Excelent Toofy Grin - I'll use that in the morning. My 11am to 1pm class this week is a mixture of Italian and English 6 and 7 year olds, your trick should work on them ( I hope )
snow conditions
monkey wrote:

That's what they said about the global financial crisis...

Yeah boarders. That's right. I'm looking at you.
snow conditions
I found some moguls on the red above the Achterjet in Flachau. I felt they were rounder on the steeper top part of the hill and more lozenge shaped further down.

I hadn't considered that boarders didn't do moguls, though I think I can see why it would be difficult. However, if they are difficult for them how do they cope if they arrive half way down a strange piste and a faced with a substantial mogul field?
ski holidays
Steve Angus wrote:
they are sleeping bears in their dens and they cannot be too loud otherwise they'll wake up and gobble them alive!!!!
Are you sure? I always said that they're made by little creatures who live under the snow. Closely related to moles, these snow-based cousins are known as mogues - and they make moguehills (aka moguls).
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
I hadn't considered that boarders didn't do moguls, though I think I can see why it would be difficult. However, if they are difficult for them how do they cope if they arrive half way down a strange piste and a faced with a substantial mogul field?

They sit down just below the brow of the hill and chill out with their mates. Just like boarders do everywhere.
snow report
snowboard moguls

http://youtube.com/v/c_6PSjS5lB8&feature=related
snow conditions
cbr7, Hmmmm,

Lacking a little something to my eye, vs skiing them.
latest report
under a new name, That's some fairly mad skillz though - alpine boards really aren't build for moguls.

The whole boarders don't do moguls thing is bollux however. While I'm sure there aren't many boarders who actively seek them out it's a fair indicator of a difference between someone who is at recreational "holiday" level of skill and a more advanced boarder.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy