Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wide skis with regular bindings ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have some Icelantic Nomads (110 wide) and a pair of Salomon Z10ti and some 110 brakes. For normal use rather than extreme would it be a problem?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 22-02-12 15:22; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The only problem is likely to be the plasticyness or otherwise of the binding. While some of the freerando/freeride bindings claim benefit of a wider footprint if its screwed in tightly engough it should be transmitting the same forces to the ski.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fatbob, The Ti is a good solid binding. The only difference that I can see is the smaller wings on the toes. Would a nomal rather than extreme skier notice the difference?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
BertieG wrote:
.....The Ti is a good solid binding.....

Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

The Ti is a good solid binding.

So does that make you a normal or extreme skier? Or is that Xtrem skier?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
BertieG, what is your actual need here?

When I first read your post, I thought you were on about width between the screws [which newer bindings sometimes offer in a wider stance between the screws = alleged better power transfer], but now I look again I'm not sure. Are you worried that the brakes will catch on the skis when you clip into the bindings, since they have the same width (on paper)?

The former could only be compared between bindings with "normal" and "wide" screw mounting points [no one brand makes both types in the same model to my knowledge] and I bet a blind test would show it's impossible to repeatedly guess which bindings had the narrower screw holes [though I'd be interested to see that confirmed, for sure].

The latter... Most brakes labelled "110mm brake" would be designed to fit, with no issue, a 110mm waisted ski, but it will depend on the brands in question perhaps, though it's a fair assumption to make I think that all 110mm brakes will fit 110mm waisted skis...

When you're talking about "wings" .... do you mean the width of the actual binding parts/housing? Again I'm confused!

The width of the foot grips (or whatever they're called) isn't going to impact your user experience/safety/level of gnarl, it's just like the shape of a car (it's a design consideration, unlikely to actually impact ergonomics, I believe). There's probably ways for this to not be true, I'm sure, but focus on the important stuff:

DIN first [does it match your requirements, including if you "tub up" in the future; avoid the top end of the available DIN range if you can, using the bottom end I've heard is fine though],
Build quality/reputation second [you want a binding that people rate and get good innings out of]
Then... Cost, I suppose [some of the best bindings cost a BOMB, but typically cover higher DIN ranges, where the build has to be more "bomber", so you need to consider if you need such a sturdy binding, at your current and likely future ability levels....]

Other than that, get a brake that fits +/- 15 or max 20mm difference [+15mm/-0mm max if you like to play things safe] and crack on...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JaMMi, Thanks for that. My concern was:- a. the width of the screws and and b. the width of the toe piece as "freeride" bidings seem to be wider.
Assuming that the brakes fit and I'm well within the DIN range would there be any safety implication and/or any noticable effect in the "feel" of the skis.
My guess is that these effects would only be noticed at the limits of the ski and binding.

spyderjon, The Z10ti seems to my untrained eye to be a well made, lightweight binding that will work fine for it's DIN rating. Am I wrong?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BertieG, not really, watch out for willy waving, it's the internet. Wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy