Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski Advice Please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am 5'10'' and weigh in at around 14 stone.

I am 90% piste cruiser but like playing in the soft stuff just off-piste.

I am currently using some Volkl Ac20's at 163 (I think).
I went with them as when I was learning someone said that shorter skis will be easier to turn so I stopped using 168-ish length skis and moved to the shorter ones and then ended up buying these guys. The theory was correct but now I have moved on. The problem I have with them is now I am a decent skier, going quicker etc they tend to wobble about at speed. I had a lesson earlier this season and the instructor suggested longer skis would be better for my body type, ability and balance.

I started to do some research and one shop suggested Salomon 24 hours, and another Salomon Enduro. I had a mini lesson on rocker etc and it made sense at the time but now I'm scratching me head again.

Frankly I havent a clue and havent the time to test them in a fridge or at a resort but am keen to buy some new skis for my last trip this season in 3 weeks time.

Advice please?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Basically if it's got a little bit of rocker you can get them slightly longer as the effective edge is less. Don't worry about all the other rocker related jargon for the mostly on-piste skis you'll probably be looking at (adaptive rocker/piste rocker/all mountain rocker etc etc etc) as they're all effectively different terms for more or less the same thing... i.e., a little bit of tip rocker.

I reckon about 170 would be fine.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I also have the AC20'S and find them unstable at speed. Have been informed by an instructor that he thought the same thing with them too.
I am trying to find a ski that can handle the speed without being to skinny, just incase i find any powder.
Rossignol zenith z76 seems to have won a few awards for frontside reviews, although maybe the Salomon enduro Xt 850's might be a bit more versitile.
Anyone have any thoughts on these?
Cheers...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hi, bit of the same issue for me here too, im also 5'10", do we think i can get away with 175-176 freestyle skis or is that a bit big? thanks,
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Peter Leuzzi, Salomon 24 hrs vs Enduro= and the winner is...Enduro!

drjarvis2003, both great, got 850s but would also buy z76s for staying on piste.

danho23, sounds ok, not too long at all.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Buying skis without testing them seems like a gamble to me, but then I spent ages reading about them and testing before I bought mine. Most decent rental shops won't mind if you try out new skis every day, as long as you make that clear from the start. That's what I did.

I'd assume you need stiffer and longer skis now that you're a better skier. You're also no lightweight, so a stiffer flexing ski might be more appropriate.

How many weeks experience do you have? What sort of level are you? Mainly skidded turns, or using the edges a bit more, or carving?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks everyone for your inputs. worthy of some replies to assist

bobmcstuff, not worried about the length of them too much as skied 168's when I was very green and raw and was actually okay if not a bit worried by the speed

gatecrasher, Okay Enduro's. Why do you say that? What else would you suggest I should take a look at?

drjarvis2003, I had my eye on the Zenith's as well.

Can anyone give an opinion on the Enduro v Zenith?

Walter-Spitty, I am using my edges/carving most of the time and reverting to the skid a lot less these days (I'd like to think!). I have 16 weeks experience in total. The instructor scoffed when I suggested I was intermediate - he said I am advanced although I would never have thought that but also dont think he was the type to pee in my pocket. I'd say I'm an upper intermediate/lower advanced; red runs in any shape with ease; blacks if I have to but not in love with them; can ski moguls, powder, slush but love groomed fast pistes.
Quote:

You're also no lightweight

How very dare you! wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Peter Leuzzi, the enduro wins over the 24 because of the 10% off the sides you suggest you like to do, 84mm vs 70mm under foot, ones a piste ski the other will take you all over the place easier, the 24 is very close in geometry to their slalom skis but more forgiving.

I got to try the 850s and z76s on plastic, they both came out my favorites of the bunch I tested, I bought the 850s being I bit wider, I may still buy some z76s for plastic/fridge use, and keep the enduros for best! wink

After using the enduros on snow I don't think I would gain any advantage going to the narrower z76, I got caught out with waist deep stuff at Christmas with only these in the bag, maybe they didn't float as well as the skis left at home but they were no problem either.

Hemel & S&R I believe are doing free demoing until the end of the month when buying a day pass, so probably a good option if you do get the chance Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Peter Leuzzi, how very dare me indeed!

I am also 5' 10" and use 163 cm skis, but they are quite stiff and I'm only about 10.5 stones at the most, so they are completely stable at the fastest speeds I'm comfortable with.

I did a ridiculous amount of reading about skis before I bought mine. The consensus seems to be that the average manufacturer makes its 'standard' length for a man who weighs 12.5 stones and is roughly our height. Taking HEAD as an example, their website always shows the standard ski length in any images.

Have you looked at these two?
HEAD i.Supershape Titan - 128-78-114, R13.5 @170 cm
HEAD i.Supershape Magnum - 121-71-107, R13.5 @170 cm

You will probably find plenty of feedback about them by searching these forums.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
182 Salomon Czar with Marker Baron does everything, although a little slow in gates.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Supershape Magnum is a great ski. Nice and stiff, easy to carve and get to silly angles of lean if you want. Very stable at high speed. Certainly stable enough beyond the limits of my ability and I ski quite fast. When I rented these I was skiing with someone who was as close to ski racer as it was possible to get without being one. I didn't feel any flappy tip syndrome when keeping up (for the first 90 minutes then my legs stopped working).

Do bear in mind though that one man's stiff ski is another man's floppy ski as there isn't really a metric for it. I haven't skied a pair of Volkl anythings since I was an absolute beginner and I can't remember. You either need to ask someone who has skied your target ski and the AC20s or demo something to get a benchmark.

Nearly bought a pair myself but went for the Atomic Blackeye Ti in 168 which, I hope, will be better for more conditions than the Head. I am 5'7" and would like to be 11 stone Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy