Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

travel insurance - loss of skiing due to injury

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
just making a claim on my travel insurance and whilst the full medical expenses are covered I am puzzled by the "ski pack" cover. This is meant to cover loss of skiing (lift pass), cost of lessons and equipment hire if you are unable to ski through injury. However the benefit is only £20 per day. given that a lift pass is the best par of £35-40 then this does not cover even that. luckily we dont have lesons and have our own kit. I was wondering if anyone else has claimed under this section of their policyand what the beneifts are. I lost nearly 5 days skiing and only get £100. lift pass was £240. I dont want to make a profit but feel it shoudl at least cover my loses. is this typical within the winter sport insurance industry ? I have used the same insurance company and had a claim last year (cancellation due to family illness) and they were very good with the claim so I am reluctant to move as they are great to deal with but it seams odd that this benefit is so low.
would be interested to hear your experience and views.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Typical - don't bitch. Ski pack cover or lift closure amounts only to nominal sums these days, same as delayed departure.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
backhojo, when my OH had to return to the UK because our house was seriously damaged by wind, all his travel expenses were paid by the insurance, which also paid for the unused days of his holiday package (I stayed on). However they said the resort should refund the ski pass. I didn't get anywhere in resort with this (my French was very basic at the time and the fact that the roof had blown off my house didn't cut any ice).

The amounts covered under the various sections of the policy are usually pretty clear in their initial marketing information. I never bother looking very hard at all the ancillary stuff - it's mainly the big medical bills I'm interested in.

Who were your insurers and how much did you pay?

Hope the injuries will soon be sorted out. Sad

If you buy the local insurance with your ski pass (about 2.50 a day) that covers refund of pass and lessons etc if you are injured. The local rules where we are say NO refunds without that insurance. It's worth taking - cost of a small beer per day.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
backhojo, I got whatever was in the policy. Quite a while ago, so I don't remember the details. Frankly, I regarded anything I got back as welcome, and left it at that. After all the holiday hads been budgeted and paid for, so I was not out of pocket, just out of skiing. No amount of compensation was going to get my skiing back - it was gone (and gone for the season).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've just cashed a cheque from my travel insurance company covering loss of 2 days skiing due to a broken rib. They took the cost of the ski pass, added the ski hire and reimbursed me for one third of it (from a 6 day ski trip). Plus the medical expenses less £50 excess. I didn't think that was too bad really.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
a pattern is emerging here that this is fairly typical. Its surprising as the cover they offer in other areas is very good. they will even pay for £350 of physio after you return to the UK which i think is generous so it seemed a bit tight to only pay £20 per day.
does the "carte neige" cover refunds for loss of skiing due to injury ?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just looked at one of the cheapo policies - Direct Line. their limit for ski pass is £20 a day too. That's probably quite common, and if that's what you paid for, that's what you'll get, I guess. Those basic policies really are pretty cheap, for the cover they give you. Can't expect the earth.

Ours cost £250 for annual cover for a couple and that excludes all that stuff, just covers the essentials, like medical and third party, to keep the costs down. Sad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
backhojo, I suspect the insurance company's logic is based on the expectation that if you have a medical reason for being unable to ski, the lift company will usually refund the unused portion of your pass. A few years back I broke my clavicle on my 2nd day skiing in Wengen. Went to the lift company with my arm in a sling and asked for a refund on my pass. They said get a doctor's note and we'll refund - doctor obliged and they did.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
backhojo wrote:
I dont want to make a profit but feel it shoudl at least cover my loses.

If you want an insurance policy that covers your losses then buy an insurance policy that will cover the losses. They cost more.

(I do wonder if you are reading your policy correctly, though. You refer to "benefit" - my insurance would give me a benefit (i.e. pure profit) of £20 per day if I were unable to ski; this in addition to £300 of ski pack (pass, lessons, ski hire).)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
backhojo, the carre neige does refund some of your pass/ski lessons but has a maximum of € 300 and a max of € 450 for your direct family if you are repatriated (I seem to have spent hours reading up on it today despite this being the third year in a row I've had a Carte Neige Embarassed)

I know it's frustrating losing out on skiing because of an accident and so loss of cash makes it that little bit sorer, but you will get the vast majority of your costs back and you are lucky enough to have BUPA (I assume through a partner's job seeing as you work for the NHS!!) and all in all that's not a bad place to be in compared to some. Best of luck with the knee.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
backhojo wrote:
a pattern is emerging here that this is fairly typical. Its surprising as the cover they offer in other areas is very good. they will even pay for £350 of physio after you return to the UK which i think is generous so it seemed a bit tight to only pay £20 per day.
does the "carte neige" cover refunds for loss of skiing due to injury ?

I had season Carte Neige & they refunded my ski pass after I injured my knee on Christmas Day. The reimbursed everything very quickly. You do, however, need to make an online declaration of your intention to clcaim, within 5 days of your accicdent.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy