Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What to do?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there

I don't know why i am posting this as my head is all over the place.

My 91 year old Gran is in hospital and we have been told that they are just making her comfortable. I am booked to go to Courmayeur on Sunday for a week and was really looking forward to it. Obviously, family and especially an ill member of family comes first. I phoned my travel insurance to inform them that I might not be going to ask them how I was placed regarding that - apparently, Grandparents are not covered if I have to cancel or curtail. The woman (who was very apologetic and helpful - she is only doing her job) did say that she would send out a claim form just in case and that that there would be no harm in trying. What amazed me, during my telephone call with the insurance company, is that they cover Brother-in-law and Sister-in-law but not Grandparents which is not that fair, considering a Grandparent is a blood relative.

The other thing is, and I don't want to sound selfish or uncaring/unkind - do you think I should go on Sunday and, if anything does happen to my Gran, I can always come home fairly easily (its not like I am away in Australia or somewhere like that). I hope I don't sound bad.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sad situation, sympathies.

Only you can decide, but I'd probably go and see her before the holiday, then go away but be prepared to come back if you get word things have changed. Although you'll need to be comfortable that the visit before the holiday could be your last one alive. Depends how important 'being there at the end' is to you and her.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, it's sad - and a tough one indeed.

At the risk of sounding horrible, I'd go, and fly home if necessary. As above, see her before you go.

She's 91, and there's nothing you can do for her by staying at home.

I can't believe insurance doesn't cover you!

Now everyone else is going to say "I can't believe you're even THINKING of going, how could you?"
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Piccadilly wrote:
Yes, it's sad - and a tough one indeed.

At the risk of sounding horrible, I'd go, and fly home if necessary. As above, see her before you go.

Now everyone else is going to say "I can't believe you're even THINKING of going, how could you?"

I know the fact that she's 91 and that there is nothing I can do for her comes into play, but maybe I should stay to give my Mum support.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Was in a very similar situation last week...

Piccadilly wrote:

+1, go and enjoy yourself, she wouldn't want you missing out.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We had close family friends left with the same dilemma recently, when meant to be heading to a relatives wedding abroad. It's a personal choice at the end of the day, but they ended up asking themselves which they would potentially regret more, going or not going. They stayed home in the end deciding that they wouldn't have enjoyed it even if they had gone, and although they are gutted they weren't there, they would say they made the right choice (she has since passd away, although weeks after the trip).

Obviously it's a personal choice, no one can tell you what to do

Have you considered seeing if you could sell the holiday on?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My grandad died, unexpectedly while I was on my first hols with mates post a levels. My folks didn't tell me till I was home and he had been buried. It's what my grandad would have wanted. I would see your gran, then go. Sounds awful but what are you going to do - sit by her bed 24/7? What good would it do. Tell her your going nag you're sending a postcard and bringing her a fab prezzie back. The only fly in the ointment is your mum. Talk to her - see what her thoughts are.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What would she want you to do?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Intuit wrote:
What would she want you to do?

I think she would probably want me to go or maybe stay and give my Mum support - oh I don't know.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
jb1970, Does your Mum have anyone else to help through this time? Other family or close friends?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm just thinking that if my Mum was in danger of falling apart and breaking down emotionally, I know she would rather have a friend with her than us kids. As close a family as we all are, she still feels this (ridiculous, at our age) need to 'protect' us from stuff like that.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jb1970, I would go - nothing is likely to happen in a hurry is it even if the worst occurs. Does your mum have other family members around?
Does seem a bit rough that the travel insurance doesn't cover you though.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jb1970, The reason you have posted, is that you are in a real dylema, not one I envy, a definate catch 22.

In my experience I think kat.ryb, & Piccadilly, sum it up.

It depends on whether you can go & still enjoy yourself, without carrying any possible self perceived guilt for the rest of your days, if anything were to happen.

You also have to weigh it up against any possible emotional blackmail from other relatives.

Personally I would go , but then that is me.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
noisey wrote:
It depends on whether you can go & still enjoy yourself, without carrying any possible self perceived guilt for the rest of your days, if anything were to happen.

And that's probably it, in a nutshell.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
noisey's entire post seems like sound advice to me.

In my limited experience, people who are reaching the end of their days want their younger relatives to get on with their lives and live them to the full. Go and see her before you go and discuss with your mum what she would want you to do if the worst happens while you're away.
ski holidays
^ ^ ^ +1
latest report
another vote for go, as long as you discuss it with your family and folk agree/understand - you need to decide whether you would be told while you are away and you don't want anyone saying the wrong thing later.
My dad died while I was skiing in Canada, not unexpectedly but sooner than we had thought. I didn't know for 2 days, and I didn't go home - absolutely nothing I could do, arrangements were in hand. BUT that was a well known rule in our family, everybody knew the score.
snow report
Quote:

I'd go and be prepared to fly home promptly if necessary. However, I certainly CAN believe that insurance doesn't cover you. If a mother or sibling were receiving palliative care only and you knew that before you went, I don't think any insurance company would cover you - their cover is for unexpected illness or bereavement.

Only you can judge the extent to which your mother needs your support - and I understand why you feel that is the key issue.
ski holidays
Just back from the hospital - my Gran passed away early this morning.
snow report
jb1970, sorry to hear that. But I'm sure neither you nor anyone in your family would have wanted her suffering to drag on. Sounds as though she has had a fantastic long life, I'd be proud of a nan like that.

Condolences and best wishes xx
ski holidays
jb1970, if there was nothing more they could do for her then its probably for the best that she went quickly.

As qb says, my condolences and best wishes.
latest report
jb1970, So sorry to hear thast. You will still have the same conundrum re her funeral. Perhaps speak to your mum as to what she wants now regaqrding the funeral. All very difficult.
ski holidays
It is quite amazing how quickly you can get home if you need to. Courmayeur is not far from Turin, Geneva and Milan airports. From each of these there are frequent flights to most of the UK.
What would be your thoughts if your Gran lived in, say, Eastbourne and you lived in Newcastle, would you be taking time off work to be with her and your mother?
You appear to have two problems facing you: one moral - should you be with your gran when it appears she is approaching the end and one financial - does the travel insurance cover you if you have to make a rapid change of plan. Personally I wouldn't give the second a moments consideration.
snow report
jb1970, Deeply sorry to read of your loss, hopefully she was in the right place, receiving the best care and was able to go without any pain.

At 91 she must have lived through tumultious times and seen great changes, both in the world and her family, I hope you can celibrate that and allow you to remember her how she would like to be remembered.

Deepest sympathies
Noisey
snow conditions
my condolences to you and your family

I find the mountains incredibly meditative and restorative, so take some time to reflect and celebrate your time with your grandmother while you're in Courmayeur - I often find myself thinking about my grandparents while I'm up in the mountains, even though they've long since passed - there's a lot of perspective up there ...
latest report
jb1970, Condolences and all the best to you and your family. Sad

My grandad is also 91 and has just been moved into a macmillan hospice and we go on holiday in a couple of weeks, with my folks. Horrible circumstance.

Keep thinking happy thoughts/memories Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
jb1970, sad news for you but what a long innings for your Gran and you were able to be around at the end.
AsFrosty the Snowman, says the next thing is the funeral but from what I gather nowadays it often is two weeks before this can be arranged so you may be able to still go away and return for the funeral.
We were in France when my MIL died (93) and that was a bit of a surprise but not really, early morning call from SIL - in fact we stayed on and said that we would be back in about ten days as planned, all details sorted out on the phone and e mails. There wasn't anything that we could do at that stage.

On the other hand when my ma died 24 years ago (only 65) my OH was abroad and he immediately flew back to support both me and my dad and help with various arrangements.
latest report
jb1970, So sorry to hear of your loss. And so glad you were able to be there. Big hug xx

tartegnin, Funnily enough, I do that too. You're right about how restorative the mountains are. Always brings everything into perspective for me. Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jb1970, my condolences. This helped me when my gran passed away:

Do not stand at my grave and weep;
I am not there. I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.

When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry;
I am not there. I did not die.

[Anonymous]
ski holidays
jb1970, Sorry to hear about your Gran, hope you are ok. Condolences from Graham and Elaine
ski holidays
jb1970 Condolences. I hope the funeral can be while you are not away. If not could you do most of the holiday and miss a couple of days. EasyJet are cheap.

Walter-Spitty, although originally anonymous, the poem has since been proved to be by Mary Elizabeth Frye.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 21-02-12 14:18; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Walter-Spitty, A lovely poem. My gran had that read out at her funeral. I still think of it often, it does help. Nice one.
latest report
jb1970, so sorry.
ski holidays
jb1970, sorry to hear of your loss. 91 is a great age to reach, and at least (I hope) she did not suffer.

My condolences to you and your family.
snow report
jb1970, sorry to hear, but as others have said, 91 is a good innings. Hope you're OK.
snow report
My Gran's funeral is on Monday - so can't go on holiday which is a bit disappointing but that's life and my family need me. Just wait till I see her on the other side (I'll pull her up about this!!!). Got to have a bit of humour!
snow report
jb1970, So sorry to hear this, condolences to you and your family

Might be worth seeing if you coukd sell the holiday on to someone else here, try to get some of your money back, although I'm sure your thoughts are miles away from that now
snow report
jb1970 wrote:
My Gran's funeral is on Monday - so can't go on holiday which is a bit disappointing but that's life and my family need me. Just wait till I see her on the other side (I'll pull her up about this!!!). Got to have a bit of humour!

condolences but why not fly on tuesday morning to GVA and hire a car or similar to drive to Courmayeur - with an early fligtht you could probably be on skis before 12noon, and surely looking at mont blanc with a grappa is a better place to remember the nan than moping around the house. ok so you'll only get 3.5 days skiing but if you've already booked the accommodation and the lift pass/kit hire than no point in throwing that money away
snow report
bertie bassett, he's put a new thread up asking about that very thing.
ski holidays
jb1970, sincere condolences, to you and your family.

Walter-Spitty wrote:
jb1970, my condolences. This helped me when my gran passed away:

Do not stand at my grave and weep;
I am not there. I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.

When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry;
I am not there. I did not die.

[Anonymous]

I love that poem. Read it at my Grandad's funeral two years ago.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy