Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weird question - resorts with drag lifts...

Poster: A snowHead
Just back from a fantastic week in PdS with 2 daughters (9 and 11) who started the week as wobble-snowplough-indoors-beginners and ended as confident-on-steepish-red-runs-proper-skiers. I managed some more serious fun with a mate in the afternoons whilst they were at ski school too - but to be honest the best bits were when we were skiing with the kids and having a hoot whizzing in and out of the trees. The only thing that would make it even better is if Mrs AfE came along - but whilst she's been a pretty competent skier in her time, she absolutely hates the idea of chairlifts, bubbles and cable cars - it's a bit of a panic attack thing where she gets worried if she doesn't think she can get off or out of things.

So - before I start looking at rebooking another single parent trip (we were lucky that there were a load of mates going this time - 8 adults and 10 kids altogether, but not sure there'll be a big team next year) I was wondering if there is anywhere that would allow Mrs AfE to come along and do a bit of skiing served by drags/buttons/the dreaded-t-bar but also a decent amount of blue-red cruising and even the odd bit of steepish/off-piste stuff for an occasional adventure. Ideally it needs to be a large enough area not to be hideously crowded at half-term (I was amazed by how little we queued in PdS). Finally, as she's unlikely to ski all day every day it'd be great if there is decent chalet accommodation and the odd shop or two to keep her entertained. If it wasn't for the lack of tows then Morzine ticks every box (and where I suspect we'll go back to anyway!).

Long shot I know, and I'm not sure that tows would do the trick, but just thought I'd check.

Thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi not sure if this is any help as it is out of the way but finland might suit your needs I have been to both Levi and Yllas and I think there is only 1 chairlift and a gondola in each resort all the rest are drags etc.. The runs there are great very wide lovely cruisey blues and reds, some steeper reds and they do have a couple of good blacks, (world cup run in each resort) overall it is very picturesque and I have never queued for a lift at all. There are a few shops more in Levi than Yllas but there is loads of other stuff to do spas, husky treks, reindeers, visit northern lights.. plus transfers are only 15mins from airport to hotel. Sorry if this is not what your looking for.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hello, i've had exactly the same requirement when booking a holiday for friends. Basically one friend just wouldn't even consider any lift off the ground!! We searched high and low and the best option we found was Montgenevre, you can pretty much get to the top of the mountain all on drags. One problem is that the middle drag is pretty scary and even says on it the warning sign. This put our friend off considerably!! However for other members of the group, MTG offers great blue/ red cruising, a few gnarly blacks and some off piste. It also offers access to the Milky Way, Clavieres, Sauze, Sestriere etc. The other resorts we considered at the time have since upgraded key drags (for example La Toussuire). Also I think (although haven't been) that Alpe d'Huez has a beginner area with quite a few drags although the likelihood of progressing up the mountain is slim in ADH as it's all chairs, cables and bubbles after that. I'll have a think if I can remember any more from my extensive searching! Good luck!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks both. liz09, I had wondered about AdH - we went there for out honeymoon <mumble> years ago and I seem to remember drags on the big open beginner area. I'll check out Montgenevre too - not an area I've been to apart from a day out in Serre Chevalier years ago.

Forgot to mention - a shortish transfer would be good too (hence why Morzine ticks virtually all the boxes apart from drags!).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hubbies also reminded me that the middle drag in Montgenevre was closed often...... So maybe not so great an option tbh. One other small resort option is Praz de Lys, linked with Sommand. Small unknown resorts are probably a good bet, as they're unlikely to have the cash to upgrade!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There are quite a few drag lifts in the Espace Diamant but it's not easy to cover a lot of ground without using either chairlifts, or a car (with a car quite a lot would be open to you, though a bit disjointed).

Crest Voland, Flumet, Notre Dame de Bellecombe and Praz sur Arly all have quite a few drags, one seriously scary (but easily avoided) serving a challenging black and a cruisy red.

The drags are steadily being replaced with chairs - three Les Saisies drags have been replaced in the last two years, and it's not now easy to do anything very interesting for a good skier on drags.

Maybe cross-country skiing would be an option?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If that pesky middle drag wasn't shut often I'd be definitely recommending Montgenevre as it was the best resort we could find that would enable our friend to ski with us most and feel the most like we all do when we get to the top of the mountain and look out over the view etc.. And also to get to a mountain restaurant (which to be honest is our groups main requirement!!) In AdH obviously it would get a bit like a ski slope in the uk up and down without much overall satisfaction maybe. Though fab skiing for the others of the group.

Maybe a Montgenevre regular can confirm that lift's openness it's 96.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was looking at the resorts around Annecy - La Clusaz and a few smaller ones - yesterday. It seems there are a lot of drags there
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chatel seem's to have it's fair share of drags (certainly the most of all the resorts I've been to), most would require getting at least one chair up to the main area's though. similar transfer time to Morzine I'd imagine too.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If that pesky middle drag wasn't shut often I'd be definitely recommending Montgenevre as it was the best resort we could find that would enable our friend to ski with us most and feel the most like we all do when we get to the top of the mountain and look out over the view etc.. And also to get to a mountain restaurant (which to be honest is our groups main requirement!!) In AdH obviously it would get a bit like a ski slope in the uk up and down without much overall satisfaction maybe. Though fab skiing for the others of the group.

Maybe a Montgenevre regular can confirm that lift's openness it's 96.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There has been a few threads a bit like this one... I think the majority of posts end up being along the lines of... get using the lifts asap... practice falling off them as much as possible and 'man' up a wee bit!

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 20-02-12 22:13; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Would funiculars be alright?

If they are, I would suggest you look at davos. You can get up to the top of the main area by funicular and then there are quite a few good runs with T bars. You could then ski back down to somewhere else, like klosters or wolfgang and get the train back to davos.

There is also quite a bit to do as I understand it to do in Davos. (Iv only stayed in Klosters).

Also the transfer is about 2.5 hours by train or 1.5 hours by car from zurich.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
andy from embsay, If you enjoyed the PDS you could try Chatel. The area at Super Chatel is accessed by a gondola but if you can get Mrs AfE up that there are 9 "proper" drags plus a couple of beginner ones serving a range of runs of all standards (including a black) both sides of the border. She wouldn't need to use the gondola end of day as you can ski back down to the village.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good call DJL - I'm not sure about Gondolas - I suspect they'd be a no-no too, but I can but try!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As I recall Glenshee is all drags bar one (going for coat Twisted Evil )
ski holidays
flangesax wrote:
There has been a few threads a bit like this one... I think the majority of posts end up being along the lines of... get using the lifts asap... practice falling off them as much as possible and 'man' up a wee bit!

Sadly it's not a case of "manning up" - she's used gondolas, telepheriques, chairs and all manner of aerial things in the past - but there's some sort of anxiety/panic thing about not being able to get off when she wants to (as opposed to not being able to get off at the end) - I think it's a similar thing to claustrophobia - she knows it's not rational but can't make herself do it without getting panicky.
snow report
andy from embsay, it will be very difficult for her unless she can overcome this. I know it's not a case of "manning up". My daughter in law has a similar problem with flying. She found cognitive behavioural therapy helpful - she didn't overcome her fear but she developed means of coping with it, making flying possible.
snow report
pam w, She's not very keen on flying either! Not sure where this came from - she's developed it since her mid-30's. She's tried all sorts of things - hypnotherapy etc, but not cognitive whatnot. Will suggest it.

She's not terribly bothered about skiing to be honest - but me and the kids would love her to come out to play!

Thanks.
snow report
Quote:

She's not terribly bothered about skiing to be honest - but me and the kids would love her to come out to play!

that could be a key point - for the CBT to have much effect I think you have to be well motivated to get over your fears.

Maybe you should all take up cross country skiiing? wink
latest report
Quote:

As I recall Glenshee is all drags bar one

A whole 3 chairlifts there now. Baddoch, Cairnwell and Sunnyside. Main lifts for accessing the Cairnwell side of the ski area and I understand they don't always run the alternate surface lift.

Cairngorm is the only Scottish ski area with only surface lifts (funicular, button tows and t-bars but no chairlifts. Well none that work Confused )
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

that could be a key point - for the CBT to have much effect I think you have to be well motivated to get over your fears.

Maybe you should all take up cross country skiiing? wink

Noooooo....there's very little point being as fat as me and not taking advantage of gravity. Although my weirdy- beardy folk-music playing brother is very keen on it, so it could be worth inviting him along and sending Mrs AfE out with him.
snow report
Try Oberjoch, plenty of drag lifts there, but only a small resort. However it's in the Tanheimertal which has lots of other little resorts, many with drag lifts.
latest report
You can ski the whole Les Collons end of the 4V (well almost) on T Bars and Pomas - in fact it's the biggest complaint you hear in that area. Some lovely chalets but sadly virtually nothing in the way of interesting shops.
Will she drive - if so Sion is an interesting and attractive (large) town.
latest report
How about Are in Sweden, plenty of t-bars there! If you are over in the Tejgefel area, there is only the 1 chairlift if memory serves, and everything else is t-bars. in the main part of the resort there are a couple of chairs and gondola and a large cable car, but all can be avoided in preference of t-bars if you so desire.

There are not the miles and miles of piste that you get in the mega-resorts in france, but when I went there it was spectacularly quiet, you very often had the piste to yourself. Add in to that the little huts/tee-pee's with a fire in them to warm up by and cook your lunch on, the nice relaxed places to get a cup of decent tea (there is one place run by a brit that advertises free english lessons with your hot drink!) and it makes for a thoroughly relaxing holiday, though the beer is rather expensive (actually hideously expensive!). Oh, and when we went (with neilson in the cheapest self catering apartments they did) we had our own private sauna in the apartment too, great way to end a day of fun in the snow!.
snow report
The smaller resorts in Norway mainly have drags. The larger ones have other lifts too, but still plenty of slopes served by drags.
latest report
+1 on Are, my fave resort, my nasty ars£ boyfriend is out there now(WITHOUT ME), great resort, friendly people and not too busy. Ski school very good, some nice off piste and lots of blue/red runs. Nice family friendly trip off the backside of the mountain to a nearby mining village which can include some easy enough for the kids off piste should you wish it to. Check out skistar.com if you don't want to travel with Neilson. 100km piste by the way.
snow conditions
Quote:

there's very little point being as fat as me and not taking advantage of gravity

Laughing Laughing you wouldn't be fat for long if you took up XC skiing. wink
ski holidays
I think I'm what you call "resolutely tubby", Pam - run about 25 miles a week, cycle 75 miles, no beer for a month and still a bit of a fatty. However a week in Morzine with no running, no cycling and just sliding downhill at least didn't put any weight on!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Didn't see the answer to the "ok with funicular" question - the underground trains have no exposure at all - the Val/Tignes one is fantastic and you could pick loads of diffrent routes back down?
snow conditions
kewhoward, It's not exposure that's the problem - it's a fear of being stuck on/in something/somewhere and not being able to get off/out. It's so irrational it's hard to explain - trains are ok because they stop regularly (even if it's only once every hour). eurostar isn't because it goes under the sea. Driving to work is ok, even though it takes 15 minutes - a two minute funicular ride in Tuscany wasn't in case it stopped on the way.

So I suspect funiculars are out too.

I think I'll just take the kids back to Morzine...
ski holidays
andy from embsay, Is she fit? (No! I didn't mean that!) If so you could book an apartment at the top of Petit Chatel (around 1400m) and she could snowshoe up to the bottom of one of the drag lifts at Super Chatel (1600m) and you could take the kids up the gondola and meet her with her skis. You then have access to the 9 interconnected drags around Super Chatel/ top of Morgins and could probably ski back to the apartment unless it was a thin snow year.

It's not as mad an idea as it sounds. There are snowshoe tracks through the woods above Petit Chatel and I reckon it could be done in under 30 mins which is less time than it would take you to get the bus into the village, gondola up and ski down to meet her.
snow report
As a snowboarder I hate drag lifts so Super Chatel area would tick your boxes!
ski holidays
Quote:

I think I'm what you call "resolutely tubby", Pam - run about 25 miles a week, cycle 75 miles, no beer for a month and still a bit of a fatty. However a week in Morzine with no running, no cycling and just sliding downhill at least didn't put any weight on!

One unexpected upside of XC skiing, in "classique" tracks is that one is overtaken fairly frequently by skaters in Lycra with extraordinarily beautiful glutes and legs.

If you do all that exercise, andy from embsay, and still feel you are a "bit of a fatty" then either you eat absurd amounts or you are deluding yourself and are actually not fat at all.

It's not good for your knees, you know - running whilst overweight. wink
ski holidays
La clusaz has a number of drags. Certainly enough for a bit of variety. They're mainly in a couple of linked areas, so there's a bit of mileage available without having to travel a long way in between.

Also lots of cross/country and walking for variety.

The resorts in the val d'anniviers (sp) have quite a few drags (st luc, chandolin). La Clusaz has a lot more variety of things to do tho, and a bigger village with some 'stuff' in it. Annecy is a nice day trip on the bus too.
snow report
I think Pendodave's suggestion of La Clusaz is a good one. It is one of the nearest resorts to the Uk so you could drive and take the ferry to avoid Eurostar/plane. There is an open air town swimming pool (I think). Some of the hotels and apartments also have pools so Andy's wife would have an alternative activity if the lifts became too much. Annecy is definitely worth a visit - pretty old town and the lake.

Liz09 - when we were in Montgenevre a couple of years ago there were some newish chairlifts which I suspect have replaced some of the drags you are referring to.

Andy - surely you would have a more enjoyable skiing holiday if you went with the whole family. Once your wife gets to the mountains she may find her worries subside and if they don't she could enjoy other non skiing activities. I think it is common as one gets older to worry more about things and sometimes avoid them but if your wife can overcome some of her worries (maybe with the CBT Pam suggests) she will be able to enjoy holidays so much more.
ski holidays
Thanks all - La Clusaz and Chatel (particularly the latter as we loved the PdS) will be investigated.

Carrying out a parallel investigation into chalets in Morzine for me and the girls (and one of their mates) - best start another thread!
snow report
yep, swimming pool is great - open air and inside. Very odd swimming in the snow looking across to the chaine d'aravis !! nice fitness room and relaxing area too. There's also an ice rink and cinema with daily shows.
snow report
must admit on this subject we were the opposite in Montgenevre
we never used a single drag in a weeks skiing there.
snow conditions
snowymum - you're right Montgenevre have taken out that steep drag that used to get you up to the bowl. Can't see very well on the map but has the bubble up become a mixed lift - so bubble and chair? I'm sure that was just a bubble when we went, it's changed a bit hasn't it. We went in 2008 I think.
snow report
Liz09 - Yes there is a telemix lift (part gondola part chair) up to the bottom of the Godrans. The godrans has some slow older chairs. They have also put in a telemix lift up to the Serre Thibaud area on the other side. The new lifts are very nice! There was one very short drag near the beginners area which my daughter used a few times. I think there may have been a couple of drag lifts higher up the mountain but we didn't use them as there always seemed to be a chair option.

We are about to go back to Montgenevre and I think there is a new drag at the bottom of the serre thibaud side for the new accommodation in hameau de l'obelisque but I doubt it goes far up the mountain.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy