Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flying with Thompsons from Manchester - Hand Luggage checks

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Mr Marmot, it's no easier for me dude; red, white or beer to go with my sarnie on the flight? And which pair of skid-marked reeking underpants to wear on the journey home?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mr Marmot wrote:
davidthornton wrote:
Flew with Thomson last winter to Innsbruck, having previously used various other outfits. At check-in they insisted ski boots are included in 15kg limit, I wasn't taking skis as I pointed out, no they said I still had to pay £50 excess, one way! For the return I stuffed what I could in my pockets, round my neck, down my trousers, down my socks, wore as much as I could, just about managed to walk to the check-in desk with a very suspicious gait! Even contemplated wearing the ski boots, no doubt the cabin crew would have chucked me off. No problem on return at Innsbruck, check-in there didn't bother to weigh the cabin bag. Ski boots? No problem sir, our pleasure. The sweat was pouring off me!!
15kgs? Back home I weighed the gear. My hard Delsey case weighs some 5kgs empty, ski boots 7kgs, total 12kgs, leaving just 3kgs, if you travel with Thomson, for all your clothing and mountain kit!!
A couple of years ago I flew with Thomson to the Caribbean, I took snorkelling kit with me, at check-in they said my case was over the limit by 2kg, suggested I put something from my case into my cabin bag, they made me open it up and virtually unpack it at the check-in desk and on seeing my snorkelling gear said take it out and put it in your cabin bag!! Now I have ocean fins and they measure 63cm in length, my cabin bag is regulation size. I boarded the plane with these bloody great things sticking right out of the bag! The cabin crew were amazed by the check-in suggestion.
Thomsons- never again!!!! Evil or Very Mad

Sorry to hear about your tribulations with Thomson, David. Hopefully they will go out of business because others join you in not using them again because of their dismal service.

IME they don't generally have a "dismal service", although they certainly aren't a premium quality carrier.

But if they were to go out of business, then package holiday prices for skiing would go through the roof, since they are the in-house airline for TUI group - by far the largest TO for ski holidays from the UK.

Incidentally, David was talking about last year. The basic allowance on ski flights has changed this year to 20Kg.

And his complain seemed to be that he wasn't allowed anything extra for ski boots when he hadn't paid for ski carriage. I would not expect any airline to give you that.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dr John wrote:
Mr Marmot, it's no easier for me dude; red, white or beer to go with my sarnie on the flight? And which pair of skid-marked reeking underpants to wear on the journey home?

Dr John, my mental image of you is see-sawing between both ends of the spectrum with your every post! Shocked
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
queen bodecia, Thomson checked-in baggage allowance is and was 15kgs. Which pistes do you need hair straighteners and cosmetics for?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
davidthornton, I'm flying with Thomson and baggage allowance clearly states 20kg. As it did last year, and right back to 2008. I wonder if it's different if you book a flight via Thomsonfly.com versus a package holiday with Crystal?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There was a question about this on the Neilson website, Thomas Cook flights, their explanation was their "late deals" have reduced baggage allowances as most people looking for late deals are price focused/

I've started pricing up for next year, with Neilson, Crystal and Ingahms, and all are showing 20kg allowance.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
davidthornton, 20kg for most ski trips. Flew with them in January, so my info is current.

snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidthornton wrote:
queen bodecia, Thomson checked-in baggage allowance is and was 15kgs. Which pistes do you need hair straighteners and cosmetics for?

Not this year on ski trips it isn't.

I flew with them in January.

And it is clearly stated here:
http://www.thomson.co.uk/editorial/legal/baggage-allowance.html
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Certainly has been 20kg since 2006 on ski flights!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Puzzled Chris Bish, alex_heney, SkiG, link clearly states 15kgs free allowance on Thomson Airways. It was in 2011 as well. As I stated above, it cost me £50 extra at check-in!
Somebody is going to get an expensive surprise at check-in!!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just checked my Thomson flight from Manchester next week - 20kg plus 5kg hand luggage. It also clearly states that boots are part of hold allowance and skis cost an extra £35.

Whats the confusion?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just checked the link above - maybe you should scroll down to the ski luggage allownce section?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sounds nasty and tedious:

BA have a 23kg check in bag allowance http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bagchk/public/en_gb for Europe plus 23Kg for hand luggage and a laptop/handbag http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bagcabin/public/en_gb too = All included in ticket prices which are bookable nearly a year ahead.

I only fly with Easyjet as a last resort between Geneva and Nice.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidthornton, No it doesn't.

snowHead
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ajpaul, Chris Bish, Yes, sorry, stand corrected. Embarassed However, for my flight with Thomson January 2011 it certainly was 15kg, because check-in made me fork out for the ski boots because those took me beyond 15kgs.
Somebody earlier in the thread suggested that there might different allowances if you booked a package with a TO. I was flight only.
This year I have used Lufthansa, 23kgs, ski boots free.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy