Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rossignol Experience 88 vs Elan Amphibio Waveflex 82 XTI

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys

Im in the final decision process of buying my first set of skis! Its between the above two Smile

Im 6ft 95kg and an intermediate skier- ski the easier blacks ok although mogals highlight my poor technique. I have a lot to work on- mainly using my edges more and getting my posture right. I would describe myself as a fairly aggressive skier. I ski mainly on piste atm- but very much want the ability to go off piste. Not interested in park stuff. I love to carve but im rubbish atm!

I demoed the Rossi (177) yesterday and really liked them. They didn't seem *that* quick- but there was a lot of crud and fresh snow around which prob slowed them down. I have heard they can "top out" at high speed- but that speed is prob far above my abilities!

Im demo the Elans today- although to be honest i doubt i will have the ability to really distinguish the finer points between the two.

Any advice on the pros & cons of either- and which would be more appropriate for me would be great.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you consider yourself an intermediate the 82XTI will be too much for you. I have skied for 30 years 2-3 weeks per year, 100kg and 6ft. I can ski all blacks - sometimes my style is questionable! Like most week long warriors my idea of off piste is cutting down the side, if I had the time I would do a off piste week long course but with current acces I accept that 80% of my skiing is on piste.
I demoed a set of Amphibio 12, 14 and 82XTI over a week long period last year, at the end of the week I purchased a set of 12's from North Kent Ski Racing supplies, although you will not see them on the site if you contact Keith he will give you a price.
The 82XTi is a big ski that you really need to drive and probably need to be heavier than you are, if not heavier then you need to be confidently skiing all the runs in the resort.
I went for the 12's as opposed to the 14s as for me they just felt right.
A good debate here for you http://www.epicski.com/t/101038/2012-elan-waveflex-82xti-and-waveflex-14
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hmmmmm

Thanks for the info m8- you clearly know your stuff!

So i demoed the ski today. Its tricky to compare the two as the conditions were v different, the rossi had to put up with a lot more crud, flat light- the rossi had blue sky and if you hunted- 4" fresh power Very Happy

In my *highly* ill informed opinion- it felt like the rossi was better through the trees and a bit more agile- the elan was better at speed and coped with the crud a bit better- it did seem faster and glided more- but that may have been the conditions. I have to say i didn't feel like i struggled to flex it? Although perhaps i would only notice this in shorter turns- such as the trees?

Decisions decisions!!! I can get the rossi for 480 pounds, the amphibios are 620.......

Thank you pat- you do seem very informed on the subject. I am favouring the Elans atm but i think thats because i had a better day in them more than anything.......
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
With the price difference between the two I would give the Rossi another go.I had a week on them last month skiing off piste with the UCPA guys in Val Thorens and felt they were a fantastic all rounder.If the Elan you skied was anything like the Magfire 78ti I demoed a couple of years ago It may be stiff in the tips which made it a right handfull in the bumps but more than that the 78ti is bloody heavy.I have about 15 weeks on Scott missions (but have skied a lot more than that in total) and would certainly consider the 88's as a replacement fot the mission The Mission has been a bench mark all mountain ski for years and the 88 blows it away for stability at speed.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bump:

I'm an emerging intermediate (IO level 6) skier and have been skiing a set a Magfire 78 Ti's for the last three years hiliday skiing, I've just bought a set of these Amphibio 12's (lucky me!!). I've bumped the thread as I was looking for reviews for the Amphibio and noted adventureontheriverbank's, comment about the 78Ti's. Hopefully I should be able to comment once I've skied the Amphibio's on how they compare and whether I can feel the difference that the Amphibio tech. gives at my level. Any comments regarding what I might notice with them would be appreciated.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have Rossi 88 as one of my skis. They work well at most speeds and snow conditions, even deep new snow.Their forte is grip and precision on piste for light/ mid weight skiers.
They have been voted top all mountain ski [ with a predictable bias to piste and chopped up new snow].
If you are ambitious and want to move up the performance ranking, the Rossi would be a good choice. I know BASI Trainers and intermediates who use them.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
tbovey, are the rossi 88 suitable for groomers or are they just to big underfoot? i have been told they are very versatile but they just seem a bit big.
thanks
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy