Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing with music

Poster: A snowHead
This may have been discussed before, but just wondering what thoughts are about listening to music whilst skiing.

I am planning to have the ipod on at times whilst skiing next week, but haven't in the past. A couple of friends routinely listen to music whilst on the hill, and I like the idea. Helmet threads have discussed the concept of reduced awareness of surroundings etc, and there is little doubt that listening to music prevents you from hearing what is going on around you.

So how important is it? Any other considerations/experiences?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
leedssteve,
Quote:

This may have been discussed before

It has indeed.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I used to ski with music a long time ago, but now I find it too distracting. Might be because I now ski at a higher performance level and need more awareness of what's going on, or it might be that my advancing age means I have less "spare mental capacity" so listening and skiing at the same time isn't viable option. Whatever the reason, I'm a better skier without music so I no longer bother with it.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I used to cycle a lot in Central London and that experience alerted me to the importance of auditory feedback for staying safe: that undoubtedly influences my views on (not) skiing to music. Many people don't agree.

Other, more personal, reasons for not using headphones on the slopes:
1) I don't actually enjoy having music pumped straight into my head and very rarely listen through headphones at all;
2) the older I get, the more important music becomes to me, and the less I like detracting from the listening experience by doing other things at the same time. I like to concentrate fully on the music and, if I'm doing that, it follows that I wouldn't be concentrating too well on my skiing. (After a steamy Wagner moment on the M40 many years ago, when I nearly came off the road, I don't listen to good music while I'm driving either.);
3) if I'm enjoying a visual experience, which is often the case on the slopes, I don't want to detract from it by adding music to it. I don't suppose I'd go round an art exhibition listening to music on headphones either.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I know a lot of people who do but I don't find I need it or like it.

If I do listen to music, normally if I'm skiing on my own, I tend to put on fairly chilled out stuff at a low volume. I don't really like skiing on my own though so that doesn't happen often.

Basically points 2) and 3) from Pedantica's post. I listen to music all the time when walking to work etc. though.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If it's quiet on the groomers I ski better with a little music. In particular I definitely ski tele better with a bit of ac/dc kicking my lardy ass to encourage a little movement. Plus there's nothing better than a bit of Theme from OHMSS to convince yourself you are actually James Bond. I wouldn't ski Euro off piste with cans in as you need to hear what's going on with snowpack and the surface.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

After a steamy Wagner moment on the M40 many years ago, when I nearly came off the road

Laughing I missed my exit of the M5 once, having got caught up in the audio book of the "Girl with the Pearl Earring", which I was listening to in French, to improve my language skills. It was beautifully read. I felt a mixture of shame at such extremely neglectful driving, thanks that nothing bad had happened, and feeling terribly pleased with myself because my French listening had improved to the level that I was fully immersed in the story, not just listening to the "words". I'd listened to the CD several times before, and not had that feeling before.

I ski with music when it's "easy skiing" (which is most of the time) because to me, skiing is a lot like dancing, and I don't dance without music.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I tried in the 80s when Walkmen were new but gave up as the rhythm of the track never quite suits the rhythm of my skiing and it made me ski worse. Nowadays, I prefer to be immersed in the whole mountain experience including the sounds or silence.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sometimes it helps and sometimes it does not. There are moments when you just do not want to share a T bar with a particularly talkative snowboarder, and it helps to be able to feign deafness from having music on too loud.

Sometimes people shout warnings from above which you might not hear. Also, avalanche noises are best heard without music to drown it out. Dangerous avalanches usually occur from behind you rather than in front of you.

Volume control is important if you do take a MP3 player. Turn it up on the T bar and turn it down when skiing in avalanche or beginner prone areas.

I usually take a MP3 player, and sometimes a small FM radio with a torch. They do not take up much space and are not heavy.

NehNeh
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I always have headphones on when boarding. I have a pair of Skullcandy Icon 2's just for up the mountain. I find they strike a good balance between music quality, price, and the ability to hear what's going on around me. Plus, with the mic/button on the cable, I'm able to make/answer calls without having to take my gloves off and dig into my jacket for my iPhone.

I tried with in-ear buds before, and I found they either fell out regularly (iPod headphones) or cut me off from my surroundings too much (in-ear buds) and it was mildly disconcerting. With on-ears, I can hear just enough of what's going on around me.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
for me I ski for the peace and quiet, especially off piste, the sound of birds, snow falling, whatever nature throws at me, so music is a big no no.

I also think it masks so many sounds you need for input when skiing, the scrape of ice, the "scrunch"of a dodgy off piste slope, the mates shouts of "skiers left to avoid the rock", or even worse, "Avalanche"etc etc etc
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Why do people have to always have music/distractions? What is wrong with a bit of peace and quiet and your own thoughts?

Right that's got rid of my 'old git' rant for today Little Angel
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I listen to music while skiing but have found that I don't actually listen to it while skiing. I concentrate to much on my skiing and completely forget about the music

The only reason I have my ipod on is for on the lifts
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Why do people have to always have music/distractions? What is wrong with a bit of peace and quiet and your own thoughts?

People become very judgemental when music is discussed!! What is wrong with sitting on a beautiful mountain, far from the noisy and polluting ski lifts, having walked up under your own steam? Why do people need machinery to carry them up and other machinery to smooth out the bits they ski down? Why do they want to go skiing at all, why not sit by a stream and think. Or read?

Skiing is a "distraction" too. One man's peace and quiet with their own thoughts is another man's despoiled mountain environment.

My old git rant for today. wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bought some skull candy things to fit into my helmet for this year. Like the idea of a bit of 'background' music rather than ear buds. I'll have to play it at a level where I can still hear what is going on around me.

Mute is the most important function as I do love to 'listen' to the peace and quiet whilst up on the mountain.
snow report
pam w,

I'm out of rants for today!

I love the peace of skiing on the mountain. I don't see how listening to music enhances that. That's my own issue I suppose - each to their own!

By the way - noise cancelling earphones to eliminate the Austrian ooompah music - now that might catch on! Cool
latest report
People who listen to 'music' whilst on the slopes, are invariably listening to shit music.

I can't imagine very many people cruising around listening to Stravinsky or Scott Walker or Miles Davis. It's almost certainly some kind of unbearably simplistic 4/4 'dance' music.

There's a generalization for you.
snow report
Scott Walker????

Whooooooooooooooooooooooooo???????
ski holidays
Pedantica wrote:
I used to cycle a lot in Central London and that experience alerted me to the importance of auditory feedback for staying safe: that undoubtedly influences my views on (not) skiing to music. Many people don't agree.

Other, more personal, reasons for not using headphones on the slopes:
1) I don't actually enjoy having music pumped straight into my head and very rarely listen through headphones at all;
2) the older I get, the more important music becomes to me, and the less I like detracting from the listening experience by doing other things at the same time. I like to concentrate fully on the music and, if I'm doing that, it follows that I wouldn't be concentrating too well on my skiing. (After a steamy Wagner moment on the M40 many years ago, when I nearly came off the road, I don't listen to good music while I'm driving either.);
3) if I'm enjoying a visual experience, which is often the case on the slopes, I don't want to detract from it by adding music to it. I don't suppose I'd go round an art exhibition listening to music on headphones either.

Fair enough. So you don't like theatre then? wink I trust all audio visual experiences don't become a multi tasking step too far....
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

People become very judgemental when music is discussed!! What is wrong with sitting on a beautiful mountain, far from the noisy and polluting ski lifts, having walked up under your own steam? Why do people need machinery to carry them up and other machinery to smooth out the bits they ski down? Why do they want to go skiing at all, why not sit by a stream and think. Or read?

Skiing is a "distraction" too. One man's peace and quiet with their own thoughts is another man's despoiled mountain environment.

My old git rant for today. wink

Well said
snow conditions
Of course there are implications for safety, but each to their own. I won't listen to music though, much prefer to hear the wind rising, the sound of the snow under my skis, and the whispers of Megan Fox, telling me about all the sordid things she will do to me once I get back to the chalet.

She never delivers.
ski holidays
c0Ka|Ne,

Your sweaty thermals must put her off!! Laughing
snow report
I like to listen to music whilst skiing onpiste, especially alone or skiing bumps. Just have one earphone in though, on half volume. I like the rhythm.
snow report
Why anybody would want to pollute the beautiful mountains with the sort of racket that is more normally found in a nightclub is beyond me. That said I wouldn't want even the most beautiful lieder either.

Music IMO is either to be listened to and appreciated, or to tickle an otherwise bored part of the brain. I certainly get less distracted at work when doing dull tasks if the right side of my brain is being amused by music.

When on the mountains I have no such need.
snow report
I challenge you all,

Ski a Red or a Black, with Adele " Rolling in the Deep" playing in your ears at turbo volume.

Well it makes me feel like i am Bode Miller Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
zellmaniac wrote:
c0Ka|Ne,

Your sweaty thermals must put her off!! Laughing

Probably!! But my sweaty thermals allow me the opportunity to chloroform any bears that get in my way when out on the slopes wink
snow report
leedssteve,
Quote:

So you don't like theatre then? I trust all audio visual experiences don't become a multi tasking step too far....
Unfortunately your logic is at fault. We were, specifically, discussing music. I love theatre and I also like (some) opera - but that is because it's an art form in its own right, music, words and production form a unified whole (sometimes!) I do however hate the fact that, nowadays, almost all television plays and documentaries have non-stop background music, which is for the most part both intrusive and meaningless. But there again, some film music is wonderful and appropriate, again when it combines seamlessly with the action and the cinematography.

I can't see that 'live' mountain scenery and all the natural sounds that go with it, are enhanced by music, but that is a matter of taste. I said it was a personal view. If you like to have music - what sort of music, I wonder? - while you ski, go right ahead! Smile

James the Last, yes, here beginneth an old git's rant of major proportions: I cannot BEAR Folie Douce-type music or, even worse, Austrian oompah that is so loud you can here it ten miles away. Noise pollution in the mountains is even more unacceptable than the noise pollution emanating from the average car being driven on the streets of south London, and that's bad enough. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
latest report
Pedantica wrote:
Noise pollution in the mountains is even more unacceptable than the bangin' choonz emanating from the motor being driven on the streets of sarf Landon innit, and that's bad enough. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Just corrected for more appropriate vernacular.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pedantica,

I'm with you on this. I do find the loud oompah music intrusive and tacky.

However if someone wants to listen to music using headphones then good luck to them. Skiing is about enjoyment, if h/phones enhance that experience then great - but it's not for me.

Maybe I'm getting old and gittish Smile
snow conditions
leedssteve wrote:
This may have been discussed before, but just wondering what thoughts are about listening to music whilst skiing.

I am planning to have the ipod on at times whilst skiing next week, but haven't in the past. A couple of friends routinely listen to music whilst on the hill, and I like the idea. Helmet threads have discussed the concept of reduced awareness of surroundings etc, and there is little doubt that listening to music prevents you from hearing what is going on around you.

So how important is it? Any other considerations/experiences?

Crank up the music as loud as it will go.

No rock allowed, though. That is sad.

If the dolly or buddy wants to talk, pull out one bud or one can and leave one in. The hybrid method.
snow conditions
fatbob, Laughing

zellmaniac,
Quote:

if someone wants to listen to music using headphones then good luck to them
Absolutely.
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:

Why??
snow report
Legend.,

You wouldn't want to fall on one. You might injur yourself Cool
latest report
fatbob wrote:
...I definitely ski tele better with a bit of ac/dc kicking my lardy ass...

SHURELY you tele-types only rock out to some Whispering Bob Harris fisherman folk to go with the knitwear and beards, perhaps wind it up a notch a Gregorian chant or madrigal whilst in the Church of St.Freeheel.

Or maybe just the soothing beat of a metronome... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I don't think the type of music you listen affects the type of crash you have does it?

Do those listening to House crash into log cabins, those listening to Garage zoom out of control into car parks etc?
snow report
Legend.,

Or those into jazz crash into small Hondas?
ski holidays
Legend. wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

Why??

Rock is tragic.

It is for old people with greasy hair.
snow report
Do those into Jazz go skiing?
snow report
Music always playing through my headphones. Even have a mini amp/equaliser fitted to block out all the numptys moaning
snow conditions
Legend. wrote:
I don't think the type of music you listen affects the type of crash you have does it?

Do those listening to House crash into log cabins, those listening to Garage zoom out of control into car parks etc?

Personally whenever I listen to Jukebox Hero I crash HARD. Always forget I'm not really Shane McConkey...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy