Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do you book in advance or last minute?

Poster: A snowHead
I've been looking at ski resorts for the end of Feb, next year.
I've not been for 20 years and the price has increased...somewhat wink
Most the resorts I like the look at (and are within our budget of £800, HB to include ski and lift) are quite low lying
Morzine, Seefeld, St Johann etc..
The more snow sure ones are too pricey
I wondered whether to leave it until late next Jan and book last minute...
Any one got experience of last minute availability?
Good/bad etc
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rachiem, that's a pretty busy week, with lots of school hols in both France and Austria (some useful dates for Austrian and Dutch holidays in http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=86507)

If you can be flexible about dates and choose a less hectic week, you should be safe waiting till the (very) last minute. You'll also have a good idea of snow cover by then.

Late january/very early February or mid March onward would be better times from the point of view of availability of accommodation and last minute arrangements.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rachiem, if you're booking for the end of Feb a last minute booking would be booked,..... well more like the end of Feb. If you book in Jan there won't be much discount, but a lot of things will have been booked, so you'd fall into a bit of a no-mans land if you booked then.

If you want to book early some TOs have "Earlybird offers", so booking well in advance can bag you a deal.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
oh no...I thought that they'd finished by then...may bite the bullett and just book something?
Thanks for the link...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Agree with Rogg. To get a good discount/have confidence in the snow conditions, then you'll need to book in the last week. I've done this many times and usually helps if:
1) You can fly from Gatwick; If you can't it really helps to have flights already booked (flights are usually the critical part)
2) Are flexible with resorts/accomodation
3) Are in a party of limited size (2 is perfect, 4 is okay - odd numbers and larger groups are very limiting)

I booked a trip to Verbier on the Wednesday before flying on the Saturday for approx 60% of brochure price.
I regularly book last minute. I usually book flights in the summer before with a low price airline from the local airport, to Geneva, and then use Alpine Anwsers to find the best deal in the last week, accessed from Geneva.

Finally, I wouldn't worry too much about snow coverage, even in a relatively low resort, at the End of Feb. It'll have to be a very bad season to have poor snow coverage at that time.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm finding this so depressing Shocked
I didn't think that it would be so challenging...
we are 3 people going from Gatwick...I do like the look of Seefeld and people say that it's a bit of a snow pocket...so may just go for it
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There shouldn't be a problem with snow in Seefled at the end of Feb. If you want to reduce your costs look at organising your own flights to Innsbruck, take the train to Seefeld and book your hotel privately. I have already booked my week in Feb. for next year, and for a family of four the saving is almost £1000 by going DIY, and you get scheduled BA flights at sensible times of day. Having said that you do get stitched up by BA for ski carriage.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I didn't think that it would be so challenging...

what's challenging about it? There's likely to be loads of snow (and loads of people) in most resorts at the end of February.

You can book a few days before if you are flexible, and get a lower price and not have to gamble with the snow.

or you can book now and be 100% certain of your boking.

Or you can choose a less crowded week.

Choice is good, isn't it?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
too much choice!
I cant be too flexible as I work a term time contract and can only take one extra week...which needs to be booked in advance.
I think I've read into too much...now I can't remember what I've looked at!
I read in Morzine that one year the slopes were shut in Feb...so that's out!
Musher, when I looked at Seefeld hotels...they seemed really pricey to book independently.
I've seen a nice hotel, Krinserfof...for £800pp all in (half board, skis, lift pass, tuition etc)
Looking around this seems quite cheap?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I read in Morzine that one year the slopes were shut in Feb...so that's out!

that really doesn't make sense. just as good chance of snow in Morzine in February as there is in Seefeld. And it has a lot more skiing to offer!

All resorts, everywhere, have had periods of bad snow in February - you can't rule them all out.

But you absolutely definitely don't have to decide 12 months in advance, so no need to panic. Deep breaths. wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
you have to book your holiday week in advance - I can understand that - but does it HAVE to be the last week of February?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, +1 Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
yes the week is fixed with my work (work in a school)
I'm thinking either DIY or last minute
I haven't been for 20 years...too many Caribbean holidays on the beach have softened me snowHead
Thanks for your help, it's put my mind at rest
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My only bit of advice, if you're travelling in February is to ignore anything to do with snow reports. It takes a ridiculously dodgy winter for it to affect virtually any resort to the extent that it would ruin your holiday.

I'd go for the option you've already seen for Seefeld. Austrian resorts, whilst generally lower, do benefit in that they are generally found on fields, rather than rocks - so much less snow is actually required to make them skiable.

As for the late or early... There was a thread not terribly long ago, where someone did a bit of an analysis. The late deals were often no less than the earlybird offers (sometimes more), though, admittedly, cheaper than the standard prices. I would have thought that early bird deals still applied though, as a couple of weeks ago I couldn't even get a brochure for next season off one travel agent.

I usually book early if going with a group, with a tour operator. I book early if going solo and making my own arrangements (that way I get cheap flights), and wait until the last minute if I'm going solo with a tour operator. That's just me though.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rachiem, it really depends what you want. If you are a couple and can be flexible about dates and locations, leaving it to the last minute can be a great way to get a good deal. But if you need anything specific (single rooms, certain dates, departure airports and/or resorts) then it is advisable to book ahead to get what you want. My group normally books 9-11 months ahead because we have a specific list of requirements.

And yes, it has pretty much doubled in price in the last 10 years. I'm sure I paid about £500 in 2000 for a single half board room, flights, transfers and lift pass. Now I have to budget around £700-£900.
snow conditions
skisimon...very interesting point re the grass!
latest report
rachiem, but, just to confuse you further, despite what you might read the majority of French resorts have plenty of grass, too. wink

you might like to look at holidays through Action-Outdoors, in UCPA centres in France. They come in at about £700 all in including tuition, gear hire, lift pass and full board. Who will you be travelling with? If alone, you need to be prepared to share a small hostel-style room, though some centres (e.g. Flaine) have doubles at a small extra charge.
ski holidays
my mum 67, skier and son 14, first time snow boarder...
latest report
pam w, it just covers a smaller proportion of most of the main ones (by which I of course mean, somewhat erroneously, the one's serviced by most British TO's) NehNeh
ski holidays
rachiem, UCPA wouldn't be suitable for your party. Is your mum going to ski? If not, what sort of thing will she be wanting to do? Makes a bit difference to choice of resort because some which are excellent for beginner skiers/boarders, with very convenient skiing, might not have much else to offer. Which, if she likes beautiful surroundings and reading books, might not matter a bit, of course. I see that on another thread you're asking about Seefeld - that would probably be a very nice place for a non-skier.

There's a lot to be said for using a package, if all this is new to you - ski holidays take a lot of organisation, before and during.

Be absolutely sure, before you book anything, that you know EXACTLY how far it is from your accommodation to where your ski/snowboard lessons will take place, and how you get there (and back). If it's a matter of getting a bus, find out how far it is to the bus stop, and how frequent the service is.
ski holidays
rachiem wrote:

Musher, when I looked at Seefeld hotels...they seemed really pricey to book independently.
I've seen a nice hotel, Krinserfof...for £800pp all in (half board, skis, lift pass, tuition etc)
Looking around this seems quite cheap?

I'm getting an early booking discount of about 5% and a repeat offender discount of another 2% on top, but £800 all in does sound pretty good for a decent hotel like the Krinserfof. It's up by the top lift station Rosshutte which is great if you are independent, not so good if you are going down into the town for ski school with small children, but you should be OK.
ski holidays
How about Mayrhofen? Hotel Viktoria is about £60 a night, flights to Munichfrom Edinburgh are £150 ish (I assume cheaper flights will be available from down South including Innsbruck flights), car hire about £70 a head. That is near enough £800 inc lift pass. Skis and boots are 60 Euro.
snow report
thanks again for all your help...Yes my mum is skiing...
We have been to Mayrhofen, it was ok but I remember the 40 minute queues to the lift. (xmas some years ago though)
latest report
Ghost Dog wrote:
How about Mayrhofen? Hotel Viktoria is about £60 a night, flights to Munichfrom Edinburgh are £150 ish (I assume cheaper flights will be available from down South including Innsbruck flights), car hire about £70 a head. That is near enough £800 inc lift pass. Skis and boots are 60 Euro.

BA Gatawick to Innsbruck was about £400 for four of us (for next Feb), but assuming 7 nights at £60 / night doesn't that make Seefeld look cheaper or was that £60 / room, not per person?
ski holidays
I love the look of seefeld but I'm still worried about a lack of snow compared to the Italian resorts
snow conditions
Quote:

I love the look of seefeld but I'm still worried about a lack of snow compared to the Italian resorts

I think you'll find that the Italian resorts have a pretty erratic snow record. More erratic than Seefeld, I'd guess. They do have very good snowmaking though, so if it's dry but cold you get lots of long white strips. Early this season the Italian resorts did very badly for snow, whilst the northern Alps were sinking under the stuff.

If you're worried about snow, book the week before you go.
latest report
musher, I didn't claim it was cheaper, but Mayrhofen is snow sure, which seems to be preying on OP's mind. Just an alternative to Seefeld at the same price. Single room might not be a problem, the Viktoia has som apartments and a couple of single rooms.
snow report
easy

if you have fixed requirements or its a busy week or especially if both, then you book in advance. If you are flexible and/or especially if you are happy not to go at all, then you can book last minute.

To keep costs down, why not book well in advance, make your own travel arrangements and stay in an apartment and self cater.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The main benefit of booking in advance (for me anyway) is the looking forward to the trip which is greatly enhanced when you know where you are staying and skiing.

I have found Crystal seem to lower their prices slightly at the start of September but this is probably a supply and demand thing. You are also fairly certain of getting the best price for flights with budget airlines if you book on the day their prices come out if you want to go independently. Once you have your flights you can then look at accommodation for which there will always be plenty of availability.
latest report
I've always booked holidays (skiing or otherwise) in advance, as we tend to use low cost flights which are generally cheaper the earlier you book. I've just booked a chalet for next Feb half term, and have only half-filled it so far, so hoping to find another family to get us up to capacity! I was surprised by how many people were saying they had already taken half-term bookings (this is Morzine so a popular families with children resort with the Brits I guess.
ski holidays
Andy ............
Please check out some of the clearing houses for late ski deals as well as some independent operators

www.skiworld.co.uk usually have "Late Deals" page with up to 50% off
www.alpineanswers.co.uk check out their late deals pages that list available chalet holidays by week and then by discount
www.last-minute-ski-deals.co.uk worth a look
www.igluski.co.uk

Skiworld are worth signing up for their email newsletter. In fact they have a "Flash Sale" that ends tonight with some pretty good prices for some fairly decent chalets at Easter. Snowsure and High resorts.
latest report
pam w wrote:
rachiem, UCPA wouldn't be suitable for your party.

Without knowing her Mother, how can you be sure?

I believe UCPA have dropped their age restrictions in the last year or two - probably had to due to equality legislation.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy