Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

20 minute workout

Poster: A snowHead
I'm doing well getting fit to go skiing (two weeks until I go) and thought I'd top up my programme with a quick early morning workout.

I current do:

Pilates - 1 session
Zumba - 2 sessions
Body Pump - 2 sessions
Plus extra few minutes of cardio in the gym after some sessions

In addition, I'm generally very active with housework, etc. so I'm fairly fit and I think the combination of the classes I've been doing is good for a skier. Oh, and I'm a 50 something experienced skier who will be skiing quite a bit in Portes du Soleil.

I was thinking of something like:

stretches
squats
crunches
lunges
stretches

but does anyone have better ideas?

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You are doing quite a lot of cardio/aerobic stuff and little resistance (weights) training (not sure what body pump is though...guess it's more aerobics with throwing around some light weights wink ) so weighted squats/lunges would be good...also do the other basic weight exercises for chest/shoulders/back.

I also really like Tabata sets which I think come closest to the muscle burn you get from skiing (short intervals: ski a pitch/rest/ski next pitch/rest/etc).
THis girl is really impressive especially with these weights (which I cannot do and I am a pretty fit guy!!)...if you do this right then you can get the same benefit from 4min of this then most ppl achieve from their training session:

http://youtube.com/v/peLFTePbfDQ
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowman, that made me feel slightly nauseous by the end! How often do you do it? How would a weakling like me start something as fierce as that (i.e. how do you know what is the right weight in the beginning)?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
As a beginner, like with anything else, you start off easy - with very low weights or maybe no weight at all to get the movement right then take it from there. With the right weights for your fitness level you can take this to unreal levels and it will hurt a lot (you should go full out in every interval) but it's over very quickly. The thrusters above are like a full body workout in just 4mins.

On second thoughts I am not sure a complete beginner should even try a complex movement like that above. The great thing with Tabata is that you can apply the same principle to any exercise (as long as it involves large muscle groups so don't use this to do biceps curls), eg I also like to do this on a stationary bike changing the gearing (20secs hard/10secs easy or use 30secs/15secs intervals - you can play around with that). Basically go hard until your legs start burning, rest briefly and do all over again....just like skiing! On a treadmill I would use an incline (hill running) to achieve the same effect. You can do this as a closing set at the end of a workout or you could do 2-3 4min sets (with 1 min breaks between each set) as a stand alone workout. Enjoy.

PS You probably want to have a rest day the next day. I do Tabatas 1-2x a week.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowman wrote:
Enjoy.
Laughing

Thanks for that, though, very interesting. Sorry for thread hijack... pandora205

I'm just aware that aerobic stuff is fine but I really need to build some muscle (not bulk up which I think would be very difficult anyway) in my thighs and arms and back... actually everywhere! I saw ZeroG's thread about swimming but I hate swimming pools and love playing about in the lakes here in summer, but don't really do any one stroke well enough for it to be effective.

Really hoping the high-protein raw egg diet isn't going to be necessary spoo (a diet of steak fine... raw eggs, not so much).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Miranda I love swimming...have a look at my comment on that swimming thread...I posted some helpful links for improving your swim technique. Unfortunately many ppl do not realise that swimming is highly technical and (unlike running) you can't just get better by doing it more often. Need to invest time in learning the right technique. Best to take some lessons.

For building/strengthening muscles weight training is the best/most effective. Twice a week full body workout 30min is all you need, but you need to do each set to failure.

For a beginners workout check out this...also well worth checking this guy's other vids to learn the basic weight exercises (his instructions are very good)

http://youtube.com/v/sMQPtwoxplw
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowman, thanks again for the tips! I did see the swimming video you posted... got a bit technical for me Embarassed

Those rowing resistance band things look good in the video above though, might try and get hold of some of them.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Best skiing exercises I ever did were as follows:

warm up stationary bike (or jogging on the spot for 5 mins) + stretches

box step ups (5 x 10 rep) - alternate lead foot
wall holds (90 degree holds for 3 x 20 secs rising)
straddle jumps (5 x 10 reps)
thigh crunches (basically knees + lower leg on the floor and lean backwards w/straight back, hold 3 x 20 secs rising) - this stretches out the thighs and makes you feel the burn. Once you hit 3 x 40 sec reps start to hold weight across the chest)
box step ups with a leap (one foot up, push off with your toes, raise other leg to 90 degrees then return raised leg to floor) - alternate feet (If you can get of the box or go weight neutral, so much the better)
line jumps – find a line in the floor, isolate your arms and then jump from side to side trying to raise your legs to 90 degrees each time (start with 2 x 10 then add five each week until you hit 3 x20)

finish off by warming down on a rowing machine (or jogging on the spot for 5 mins + stretches)

NB: this is geared for minimal/no equipment and I still use a reduced version for a warm up prior to skiing. I used to use a step work out set of benches as they are stable and height adjustable but some people finds they are too wide for the straddle jumps. Whatever you use, make sure it can hold at least three times your weight. These exercises were originally geared for an old school style gym bench (long wooden thing usually with folding hooks on each end for wall bars and the line jumps were from side to side over the top of that). Otherwise find some suitable stairs. DO NOT do these if you have knee injuries. Start out slow and build up gradually (doing this will help bone density, rushing it will simply get you injured).

If you can take these up to the max prior to skiing I absolutely guarantee that you will ski better, have less initial aches and pains and recover much faster.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
not skiing exercises, this was the morning exercise plan I followed for my climb of mont blance. If you watch her though, I'm sure her knees extend further than her foot on her lunges..

http://youtube.com/v/pC4Q9dngtHQ&feature=channel
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I can't help but feel she would be the death of me.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
tiffin wrote:
I can't help but feel she would be the death of me.
she was nearly the death of me but it is a good morning workout, especialy for strengthening the legs! Little Angel
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
All that silicon is throwing the brunette off despite a valiant effort to keep it centre mass.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sack the Juggler,

She had knees? I didn't notice them Blush
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arrrr...she can be the death of me anytime she likes. Very Happy

Jokes apart, that is a fantastic demonstration of fitness. Hats off to her.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Look up the bodyrock.tv workouts there are some great ones on their youtube channel.
ski holidays
This website has some ski specific Flexibility & Strength exercises
http://www.putneychiropractic.co.uk/sport/exercises
look at the Ski Fitness section &
Ski stretching and flexibility exercises &
Ski strength and power exercises

there was also articles in Ski & Snowboard magazine recommending some yoga positions
& other flexibility & strengthing exercises they have a website .
snow report
Hey guys!!Different workouts for keep good fitness and the weight loss.Different peoples in the world
like the different workouts for keep the fitness and health.But these workouts are the best
for fitness like,running,jogging,swimming and cycling.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy