Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tobogganing and Ski Holiday Insurance - Is there an issue?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I thought i'd start another thread about insurance as rather than have this clutter a trip report.
alex_heney wrote:
Andybag wrote:
alex_heney wrote:
Minimum_1 wrote:
ed to do the toboggan run!!!

Make sure you check your insurance first.

A lot of winter sports policies don't cover tobogganing, so if you got hurt, you would have to pay for evacuation, and possibly for repatriation if you needed a special flight.
Some policies do cover it.

You are having a laugh aren't you? Just do it and enjoy it, that's all I'd do if I was tobogganing or sledging at home or abroad (although other people seem to have more health and safety concious views then myself)

No, I wasn't having a laugh.
At home, I'd have no problem doing it without insurance either, but abroad there is always the possibility of hurting yourself in a way that will be expensive to get you home.
You do need to check that it is covered, and I was just raising the issue because a lot of people might not realises that it is often excluded.

Smile

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 18-02-12 7:33; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think it's one of those where you check your policy. The winter sports cover part of mine includes: on-piste skiing, snowboarding, mono-skiing and ski-bobbing, ice skating, curling, tobogganing, snowmobiling, cross-country skiing on locally recognised tracks plus off-piste skiing or snowboarding with a qualified guide or instructor.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I believe it's true that toboganning has one of the higher injury rates - certainly the case in our immediate family. Only fracture so far was on a toboggan, in Alpbach. Serious surgery in Innsbruck followed.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My understanding is that it depends entirely on how it is organised and if it involves copious amounts of alcohol before descending. Some of the toboggan trips that used to be organised in resorts as part of the entertainment packages offered by TOs were very wild and not too safe in my experience (I have the bruises and scars to show that wink ).

If, such as in Radstadt and some other resorts, you are using a specially dedicated and prepared toboggan run, you are covered. The only proviso being the same as when injured skiing, if your blood alcohol level is considered high enough to have inhibited your judgement, your insurer may decline to cover costs. If the medical centre treating your injury believes your were drunk or had been drinking, they usually run a blood alcohol test these days which will be part of your medical report.

I think there is an awful lot of scaremongering about this as well as misinformation/understanding about insurance policies. Far too many "anecdotal tales of dire consequences" muddying the waters and way too little facts. People should do as queen bodecia, her example from her insurance policy cleared her and we had fun. If in doubt, read your policy and don't do it if you think you'll be tipsy or drunk.

[edited to clear an ommison and for clarity]

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 18-02-12 16:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
queen bodecia,
Quote:

it's one of those where you check your policy
Exactly
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Samerberg Sue, I think the kids might like it at Easter; might even give it a go myself (goes off to check all our insurances...). That and a trip to the Therme might be a way of entertaining them through the week.

Are you coming over at all that week (31st March)?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
holidayloverxx, I'll put it in diary and see how the work set-up is as well as the car situation. Still not got mine back yet although they think it will be fixed by the end of this week! rolling eyes
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Samerberg Sue, cool, and fingers crossed for the car
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Samerberg Sue wrote:
My understanding is that it depends entirely on how it is organised and if it involves copious amounts of alcohol before descending. Some of the toboggan trips that used to be organised in resorts as part of the entertainment packages offered by TOs were very wild and not too safe in my experience (I have the bruises and scars to show that wink ).

Yes, on one of my first ski trips with a TO ( I think it was to St Johann in Tirol) they advertised a tobogganing evening on an "Illuminated" toboggan run. It turned out their "illumination" was what was probably a 40W bulb every few hundred metres (half of which weren't working anyway)! Shocked Quite disconcerting when you're hurtling down in the near dark and you say to yourself "I think there's a bend coming up from the sounds ahead (shouts of panic/pandemonium)Toofy Grin, but it's so dark I can't see anything"! Skullie
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
queen bodecia wrote:
I think it's one of those where you check your policy.

Absolutely, and taht is all I was saying in the other thread.

The policy I used this year and my last trip (Direct Travel) covered it. The one I used a couple of trips before didn't, and when I was looking for alternative quotes, there were a couple of others didn't (and I only looked at 3-4).
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Samerberg Sue wrote:

That certainly affects how risky it is, but the insurance policies don't go into that much detail. They just simply either exclude tobogganing, or they include it. Whichever way, it is usually explicitly mentioned.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Alastair Pink wrote:
Samerberg Sue wrote:

Yes, on one of my first ski trips with a TO ( I think it was to St Johann in Tirol) they advertised a tobogganing evening on an "Illuminated" toboggan run. It turned out their "illumination" was what was probably a 40W bulb every few hundred metres (half of which weren't working anyway)! Shocked Quite disconcerting when you're hurtling down in the near dark and you say to yourself "I think there's a bend coming up from the sounds ahead (shouts of panic/pandemonium)Toofy Grin, but it's so dark I can't see anything"! Skullie

Yes, the one in Schladming when I tried it (about 10 years ago) was very much like that. A not particularly bright "floodlight" on most (but not all) of the bends, with nothing in between. And we had all had at least one gluhwein at the top before starting down, as well as drinks with dinner in teh hotel before going out.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

That certainly affects how risky it is, but the insurance policies don't go into that much detail. They just simply either exclude tobogganing, or they include it. Whichever way, it is usually explicitly mentioned.

I guess even if a specific activity is "covered" in an insurance policy that doesn't preclude the company's arguing that an injured party failed to take reasonable steps to protect themselves. Getting completely smashed then hurtling down a hill in the dark might be regarded as demonstrating such failure. wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy