Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can you ski before 1030?

Poster: A snowHead
I can't ski before 1030. I'm reasonably fit and like to think that I'm not too bad a skier, but every day it takes me until 1030 before I'm skiing well.

This is obviously a distressing affliction. On powder days, I have to watch all the best lines being skied out before my legs have reached their peak operating condition. If I try any decent skiing like powder, bumps or steeps before the magic hour is reached, I fall over, my quads quite literally catch fire and my feet weep icy tears of cramp. Then, suddenly, the clock strikes 1030 and I'm a changed man with the whole mountain as my playground.

Does anyone else have this strange disease. And is there any hope of a cure?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Start drinking earlier?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Do you have a gluhwein at 10.30? Seems to coincide with my skiing improving
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Put your watch forward by 1.50 hours and see what happens
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd guess that it is because you aren't doing any warm-ups before hand.... so your warm up time ends up being your first few runs pre 10:30....
give that a go first!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I can relate. It usually takes me an hour or so before I'm warmed up and as such often have to avoid more challenging skiing early in the mornings.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jonny Jones, avoid ski-in ski-out accommodation, or anything close to the slopes. Make sure you have a good kilometre or two of walking to do (whilst wearing ski boots and carrying skis etc) before you get to the slopes. That should warm you up nicely. Additionally the extra exercise will be good for your overall fitness. Also, do what stewart woodward recommends.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Adrian, agreed. After a good walk in ski boots, carrying kit, with even a slight incline and after getting kids out of bed etc, it can be quite enjoyable to pull the bar down and feel cold air on your face Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nope. Nuff said.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Definitely avoid ski-in-ski-out accommodation. I really welcome the walk/journey to the first lift in the morning. It gives me a chance to digest my breakfast and sharpen my senses for the day ahead. However, I don't start the day in my ski boots, I'm a firm fan of the lift base station storage facilities! Very Happy

I find my best couple of hours on the slopes each day are those after the morning drink stop. I seem to be full of energy by then. After lunch I can definitely feel myself tiring. But this really isn't an issue for me, skiing is a holiday, I want to enjoy myself and soak up everything being in the mountains has to offer. My 'performance' is not an issue, I'm not competing. If I ski a run badly either first or last thing in the day, so what?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jonny Jones, I agree with the 10.30 thing, I always take 1/2 an hour or so to get re-dialled in first thing, mine is about 10am and then I do my best skiing between then and 1-2pm. I think it's just a natural muscles warming up thing, I now try to do a better warm up and get on it sooner, and it does work. Also a sauna/ steam between après and dinner relaxes the legs and really does the trick for the following morning.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Protein deficiency.

Change your diet.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jonny Jones, Are you taking any medication that is slow release?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I agree on warm-up (and on stretching after getting back from skiing the previous day) but a two kilometre hike in ski boots would not be my warm-up of choice! Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I guess that it's a warm-up thing, as most people have suggested. But 90 minutes feels like a long time to warm up.

What pre-ski warm-up exercises are recommended?
latest report
Jonny Jones, Perhaps it's your brain that needs the warm up, not being funny, try Red Bull or two shots of espresso before skiing, it is sometimes perception which needs changing as Joubert says go and race the mountain
snow report
A coffee and a bowl of porridge in the morning.

Walk to the lift

should stretch but rarely find time (no one else in my group bothers)
latest report
My son walked me through his on snow warm up he does with his club yesterday. He does a dynamic warm up , then puts on ski boots, then at teh top of the first lift he does a few in boot off ski excercises. Then he does two runs as a warm up. From what he showed me he does a warm up whilst skiing that warms up ankles, knees and hips. he works through a progressive set of targeted drills

Then he does his normal skiing
ski holidays
Coffee = Fag if you so wish = half a mars bar et VOILA!
latest report
Nadenoodlee wrote:
half a mars bar

wtf? thats just unpossible
ski holidays
to quote wiki " The oldest and most accurately documented evidence of skiing origins is found in modern day Norway and Sweden. The earliest primitive carvings circa 5000 B.C. depict a skier with one pole, located in Rødøy in the Nordland region of Norway." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skiing

So I guess the answer is YES you could ski for 1030, if you had a time machine and didn't dial in a date too far back.
snow conditions
Not had this problem. Perhaps the first 10 minutes I'm skiing very slightly less well.
Perhaps I'm not old enough - I'll see what happens in a few years.
snow conditions
Seriously?

Warm up with dynamic exercises. It's all muscular after all. Sounds like you're overdoing it and/or getting dehydrated. Why not prepare for powder the day before?
snow conditions
When inflicted with 0930 lessons, I used to find a swift run from the highest achievable point, followed by a cheeky vin chaud always worked (it's all about the relaxation, doncha know..?)

However, I find that having nothing solid at breakfast works wonders for a.m. skiing - odd, but true.
snow report
I find life in general hard before 10:30. Don't think I'm on my own there either.
snow report
So, what are we saying here? That the phaff of getting your gear on, stamping into the boots, lugging your skis, and (if you have one) camelbak 100m to a piste (if you're lucky) and then skiing a half km to the lift for 9-9.15 isn't sufficient to warm you up? I'm usually ready for my first hot choc and rum stop by then... Toofy Grin

In all seriousness (almost), usually half a run is ample to remind those poor memory muscle groups I depend on to shape up and get ready for action.
snow conditions
Take small children skiing with you, you'll have been up since 5am and getting them all kitted up and off to ski school will warm you up.
latest report
Legend. wrote:
I find life in general hard before 10:30. Don't think I'm on my own there either.
+1
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Legend., bobmcstuff, + another one
latest report
At 46 years of age, I'm nicely warmed up by 3 or 4 pm !! Too much to eat at lunch is the real killer.
snow report
parlor wrote:
Start drinking earlier?

+1
or continue drinking through so you are suitably lubricated Laughing
snow report
Compression leggings and top (Skins.net) and keeping my legs really warm all the time works wonders for me. I used to ache a lot at the start and end of each day. At 41 I now find that I need to do much less stretching than when I was younger.

Seriously, those compression leggings do seem to work but I cannot wear them as a base layer or they make me feel cold for some weird reason. So they go over cheap M&S merino leggings that are rolled up around my knees.

Do you eat well enough at breakfast? I like protein, fat, carbs, coffee & nicotine for breakfast.
snow conditions
MTFU Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I hit my best quite early normally - usually after about the first half a run once as I loosen up - if it's later in the week and I'm stiff in the morning wink then it perhaps takes me perhaps a full run or so to properly loosen up.
snow conditions
Walter-Spitty wrote:
Do you eat well enough at breakfast?

Oh, yes! Breakfast is one time that I never skimp - a typical skiing breakfast last week was a huge mound of scrambled egg, sausages and hash browns, oatmeal, pastry, fruit, orange juice and coffee.

I ski pretty hard. I always catch the first lift and I ski until the hill closes. I probably spend no more than 10% of my time on groomed runs, with the rest being bumps, steeps, powder and glades. That's a fairly tough ask from my middle-aged legs, so my problems are probably partly a function of tiredness.

I can ski well on piste within 5 minutes of getting started; it's the more energetic stuff that I have problems with. The infuritating thing is that other people seem to fly down the powder runs as soon as the lifts open, and I want to be able to do the same.

Perhaps I'm just too old Sad
latest report
Maybe don't knacker your legs up the previous afternoon by doing those silly bump things wink then you'll have some strength for the powder the following morning Happy
snow report
I'm getting too old too, my problem is more on a proper powder day my legs and muscles and totally spent by lunch time.
ski holidays
stretch it out and warm up properly and you'll be running fresh lines from the first lift no problem.
ski holidays
Jonny Jones, that sounds like a proper breakfast to me!

Like Gazza wrote, maybe do less big bump skiing. Big bumps give my knees and the surrounding muscles a hard time these days, despite the fact the physiotherapist tells me there's nothing wrong with my knees apart from a "normal" build up of scar tissue and a lack of muscle bulk.
latest report
Agree with a warm up. Works wonders.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy