Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dutch Prince caught in avalanche in Lech

Poster: A snowHead
BBC reports he was dug out in 15 minutes and is now in hospital.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17077390
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
15 minutes - marginal. Poor man; the report says his condition is "critical". Sad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The wife and dead gangster angle is a nice bit of background.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Do we know any Dutch in the Alberg area?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
According to the Austrian ORF he was dug out after 20 minutes, not 15, and had to be reanimated. Doesn't sound good. He was off piste without a guide in the Zugertobel area, but I'm not sure whether he was on the actual ski route and whether that was open. With current avi level at 4 I don't think I would be going off piste right now, especially without a guide!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
fatbob, poorly worded too. Must have been thrilling, a relationship with a "dead gangster".

15 minutes seems ages.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Steilhang wrote:
According to the Austrian ORF he was dug out after 20 minutes, not 15, and had to be reanimated.!

It disney look good for him.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof, Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A report here http://www.kleinezeitung.at/nachrichten/chronik/2950078/mitglied-niederlaendischen-koenigsfamilie-lawine-verschuettet.story
My german not good enough but mentions the area was either closed or not closed, anyone care to translate.
"Der Bereich, auf dem die beiden abfuhren, sei nicht wegen Lawinengefahr gesperrt gewesen."

Does say the victim had avalanche beep and the ski buddy had an avalanche bag that saved him.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
davidof, Laughing Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
davidof, Pedantica, Don't really know what there is to smile about rolling eyes You guys are so clever
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Am in Lech at the moment, skiing with the kids...so being eminently sensible....! Had a big dump tuesday night until thursday lunchtime...not sure how much fell as was windy as well, but drifts of >1.5 metres are pretty common and had 1 metre of new snow on our balcony. eldest daughter strayed off the path and ended up up to her shoulders (she is 5ft9). I was amazed on thursday morning (when it was still snowing heavily) how much dodgy avalanche territory off-piste was being skied by all and sundry...... even through quite sizeable slides. We saw the helicopters for this rescue, and whilst I have done some pretty silly things in my time, I would not have ventured into the territory where this accident happened even when I was a mad 20something year old with little sense (spoken as a 50 year old fart who still tries and kills himself occasionally).

That said by 4pm on thursday, when the sun was shining nicely, everything was virtually skied out off-piste.....and anybody being sensible would have got no easily lift served lines...even though we saw several big slides through peoples tracks, and one person being avalanched...and deploying his ABS (and skiing away from it).

Suspect in the Arlberg, to obtain easy lift served fresh lines, you are always going to have to take considerable risks....glad I was with the family and circumstances made me be sensible!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
humble, sounds like a very lucky escape for someone
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

We saw the helicopters for this rescue, and whilst I have done some pretty silly things in my time, I would not have ventured into the territory where this accident happened

but some reports say it was on an open piste?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Neilski wrote:
davidof, Pedantica, Don't really know what there is to smile about rolling eyes You guys are so clever

? smiling, along with myself, about a play on words, not about the situation for the guy involved.
snow conditions
Lou, +1, obviously. rolling eyes
snow conditions
Oesterreich suggesting the Prince may be in a coma.

http://www.oe24.at/oesterreich/chronik/Lawinen-Drama-Prinz-Friso-im-Koma/56643814#textBegin
ski holidays
According to the above link the prince may have a skull fracture and due to suffocation he may have been already brain dead when they dug him out. He was skiing off piste with one other skier (who had ABS) and they released the avalanche.
latest report
Lou, Pedantica,i get it obviously rolling eyes i just dont think there's much room for humour, when someones life hangs in the balance. but thats just my opinion, so sorry for being judgemental Sad
ski holidays
Neilski, some people like black humour, some don't. I respect your opinion. It's worth noting, perhaps, that most people in the medical professions do enjoy black humour, despite (or maybe because of) being dedicated to saving lives which hang in the balance.
snow report
He has been diagnosed as suffering from Traumatic Brain Injury according to Oesterreich.
snow report
It is funny but anyone who posts here skies seriously and anyone who skies seriously must have spent time thinking about the risk reward. The guy is in a very bad way and its not in taste to laugh because it's him not us, when it could well be us and may yet.
ski holidays
It is funny but anyone who posts here skies seriously and anyone who skies seriously must have spent time thinking about the risk reward. The guy is in a very bad way and its not in taste to laugh because it's him not us, when it could well be us and may yet.
ski holidays
Further rumours in the Austrian press that there are no signs of brain activity. His body temperature was apparently 32C when he was found (which is not good).

Lech authorities are holding a press conference at 1600 local (presumably on the avalanche as I'd have thought Innsbruck hospital would comment on his health).
snow report
Quote:

not in taste
a) taste is a subjective thing and many would consider some mild word play not to be tasteless; and b) it's probably a mistake to go looking for what you perceive to be good taste on the internet.

I feel sorry for this man and, in fact, what I personally consider to be tasteless, is the newspapers reporting, or more likely speculating on, every detail of his condition, while he's still alive but lying in a coma.
snow conditions
Dutch government say much of the press speculation is untrue and have repeated their earlier statement that the Prince is "stable, but not out of danger."
ski holidays
nozawaonsen, good. Let's hope he recovers.
snow report
8611 wrote:
It is funny but anyone who posts here skies seriously and anyone who skies seriously must have spent time thinking about the risk reward. The guy is in a very bad way and its not in taste to laugh because it's him not us

Actually threads relating to injury and death as a consequence of ski accidents and avalanches are treated with a whole lot more respect on this forum than any other "RIP" threads, where all manner of sick jokes occur, including speculation about whether people brought it on themselves and so deserve any sympathy etc, presumably because

8611 wrote:
it could well be us and may yet.

I'm sure, like many people, the posters above find most* untimely deaths or severe injury incredibly sad.

*there are obvious exceptions e.g. murderers/terrorists and so on.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was in Lech yesterday when this occured. At the time, no one helping in the rescue really knew who the victims were at the time.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1986474#1986474
snow report
Hope this turns out for the best.
latest report
[quote="humble"]Am in Lech at the moment, Had a big dump tuesday night until thursday lunchtime...[quote]

Wow that is a big dump....must have read the newspaper cover to cover!......how come you didn't get dead legs sat there all that time?! Laughing
snow report
nozawaonsen wrote:
Further rumours in the Austrian press that there are no signs of brain activity. His body temperature was apparently 32C when he was found (which is not good).

If his body temperature was only 32C after being buried for 15 to 20 mins that implies that his body temperature must have fallen quite rapidly. In this case that might actually be good - this article says that the brain's demand for oxygen decreases by 6% for each 1 deg C drop in temperature (down to a lower limit of 28C). I believe there have been cases of cold water drownings where victims have recovered after being submerged for 30 minutes or more, but in these cases as well as hypothermia reducing oxygen demand the mammalian diving reflex also plays a part.
snow report
Just seen this thread, was down exactly the same place 3 weeks ago, Av Level 1-2 not 4 though. Been watching my headcam footage just now and can see the gully he was likely in, theres absolutely no way i would have been down there in Av 4..............we dipped into the gully but came straight out, it was clear there was a lot of snow in there. Hope it all works out OK.
snow conditions
There is going to be statement later today. The news from the Hospital is grim
latest report
stanton, Sad
latest report
The statement was a repeat of the earlier one. Stable, but not out of danger yet.
latest report
HAT has something to say about the reporting:

http://www.henrysavalanchetalk.com/false-misleading-statements-telegraph-article-dutch-prince-johan-friso-buried-alive-avalanche-austri
snow conditions
Oops, edited post as I previously provided links to the tirol avi reports thinking that was useful reference following the HAT report, but then realised Lech is in Vorarlberg. I can't see a link to historical avi reports for Vorarlberg.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 19-02-12 17:52; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I've never skied in Lech, but it sounds quite similar to Chamonix in that the off-piste gets tracked out very quickly. Many people in Chamonix don't seem to think too much about the Avalanche risk. As soon as a lift is open, everything that can be skied from that lift WILL be skied. As such, many of the lifts in Chamonix are closed when you could open them. The Pisteurs simply know that the public will often make poor decisions. However it seems that in Lech they may be quicker to open the lifts.

This is a very unfortunate accident, but it may bring home the reality of avalanche danger to skiers. Prince Johan is likely brain-damaged after 20 minutes under the snow. Others have died recently in avalanches across the Alps. The sad fact is that most of these accidents were completely avoidable if the skiers had just looked at the information available to them.

If anyone is in Chamonix in the near future I give a FREE Avalanche Awareness lecture every Monday night at La Terrasse bar in Chamonix centre at 7pm. Come along - it might just make the difference.

Stay safe folks......
snow conditions
waynos, as it happens the Vorarlberg (where Lech is) had an avalanche warning of 4 on Friday.

http://warndienste.cnv.at/dibos/lawine/
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy