Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thinking of Niederau for next Feb...any thoughts?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
After looking through loads of brochures this resort seems nice.
I am going with my mum, 65 and my younger son, 14 and looking at the end of Feb 2013
I haven't been for 20 years and my son wants to learn to snowboard. My mum is an intermediate.
I've been to Mayhoffen...to busy, La Thuille...ok and Andorra, fab resort but too long a transfer.
The prices are good for this resort...coming in at £700pp half board plus lift pass and ski hire and tuition for my son...flights etc...4 star hotel
I'm looking for some info on the area though...ie any shops, I'd imagine it's expensive...any other activities...skating etc.
Any thoughts would be most appreciated
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not many shops in Niederau: a few small supermarkets and a some ski shops, but little else. But Worgl just down the hill has all the shopping you could need.

XC is popular, and swimming down in Worgl too. No skating AFAIK. Niederau itself is pretty limited skiing-wise for intermediates, you'd need to get the bus some days to Auffach (same pass), or going the opposite direction to Hopfgarten gives you access to the Ski Welt (but it's a different pass).

Which hotel are you looking at?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sonneshein...

I'm starting to look at a few other Austrian resorts too now (rolls eyes)...I feel that I may need some shops thrown in!
Off to look at Seefeld next
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rachiem, if you need some shops thrown in forget Niderau then. Hardly any shops to speak of - one or two sports shops, a Spar, an MPreis and that's kind of it really. Not long back from Niederau (14-21 Jan) with family and we paid under £300 a head, flights transfers and half board - brochure price was £900 for half term and I would have been mightily peeved off if I'd paid anywhere near that.
I may offend some Niederau fans (of which there are many) but I think there are better places for your remit. That said it is a very good value resort.
Your son will probably want a fun park or similar???? There was allegedly one in Niederau and Auffach but were absolutely cr4p. Fantastic snow conditions when we visited.
Have a look at Serfuas/Fisss/Ladis - although you might have to go independently. Some of the Ski Welt resorts would probably be better too.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rachiem wrote:
The prices are good for this resort...coming in at £700pp half board plus lift pass and ski hire and tuition for my son...flights etc...4 star hotel
boabski wrote:
Have a look at Serfuas/Fisss/Ladis
I doubt you'd be able to get 4* half board, flights, transfers, tuition and liftpass at Serfaus in February without going well over rachiem's £700 pp budget.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rachiem wrote:
After looking through loads of brochures this resort seems nice.
I am going with my mum, 65 and my younger son, 14 and looking at the end of Feb 2013
I haven't been for 20 years and my son wants to learn to snowboard. My mum is an intermediate.
I've been to Mayhoffen...to busy, La Thuille...ok and Andorra, fab resort but too long a transfer.
I'm looking for some info on the area though...ie any shops, I'd imagine it's expensive...any other activities...skating etc.
Any thoughts would be most appreciated
We did a week in Niederau 12 years ago.

It was really good snow, but the runs there are limited to say the least.

On the plus side the lift pass used to include Auffac (sp?) which had a couple of decent runs.

If you want somewhere nice with options, have a look at Kirchberg (linked to the Kitzbuhel ski area) which is quieter, and has some lovely long blues as resort runs which are excellent for beginners - we've stayed at both the Park Hotel and the Zentral (which is excellent).

Or look at St Johann in Tirol on the other side of the Kitzbuhlerhorn.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi, Not sure wht the above comments say about the people, Niederau is a fantastic resort ski wise, al though not many shops!
GB junior ski team are based here for 4 months so skiing cannot be bad!! Austrian youth champs alo held here in 2012!! Austrian`s are pretty good skiers in my book!
The ski bus to Auffach is free and you can ski to Alpbach from Auffach giving many miles of great skiing!
Go the opposite direction a 10 minute taxi ride to Hofgarten gets you into the ski welt and 1000 kilometres of the best skiing in Austria!!
All in All a great place ith very friendly people!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
brinty wrote:
Hi, Not sure wht the above comments say about the people, Niederau is a fantastic resort ski wise, al though not many shops!
GB junior ski team are based here for 4 months so skiing cannot be bad!! Austrian youth champs alo held here in 2012!! Austrian`s are pretty good skiers in my book!
The ski bus to Auffach is free and you can ski to Alpbach from Auffach giving many miles of great skiing!
Go the opposite direction a 10 minute taxi ride to Hofgarten gets you into the ski welt and 1000 kilometres of the best skiing in Austria!!
All in All a great place ith very friendly people!!
I must confess we had the best snow I've ever known when we were there in 2000, but as resorts go (the town) it's very limited and the skiing is limited to say the least, albeit that the terrain is reasonable.

The reason the british ski team are based there is that it is a)cheap, and b)it is in easy reach of other more challenging terrain - doesn't make it a great ski resort IMHO snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This winter will be 43 years for me in Niederau, including 4 winters working for the ski school. For 10 years, I held the record for the number of runs in a day, although, 2 years ago, this was beaten by two 18 year old Austrian sh*ts. wink

It is an old Tyrol village, and was the first place in Austria to install a mountain chairlift, in 1946 ~ by Ingineur Sepp Hochmuth, who I skied with. The Willdschoenau also has a place in napoleonic history, the fight against the French was organised through many of the local wirts, (inns).

This year, the ski area changes from 45km to 175km, with the addition of the link to Alpbachtal.

I have been fortunate to ski in places all over the world, but there is nowhere, where I can ski as much in a day, as I can in Niederau.

Anyway, as my wife says, size isn't everything.....
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy