Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bansko

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just back from 2 weeks in Bansko. Conditions off-piste are amazing - it snowed constantly and in 15 seasons we have never seen so much snow. Very Happy
Pistes are getting a bit chopped up in the afternoon but the snow is soft and fluffy so not too bad. In town, it's quite difficult to get around as most if the roads are single lane now so you can't get anywhere in a rush!
Off-piste is avalanche prone but in the trees is fine, loads of untracked still to be had and apparently yesterday (when I left) the sun came out and it's blues skies all the way.
Can I go back now? Laughing
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
did you see any big avalances, apparently the mountain to the right as you look up at the ski area from the town is the most avalanche prone area in the Balkans.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sounds amazing Victoriac! 5 of us heading down there next Wed and can't blood wait, is it pretty cold at night walking around? Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's been crazy cold but it's meant to be warming up a touch so you shouldn't need quite so many layers next week! Smile
You could only see a couple of little slips but I think there will be a few bigger ones as the weather changes.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For those of you who have not been to Bansko before here are some suggestions on where to eat:

ZEHTINGIEVATA HOUSE MEHANA – Chicken liver starters very good, The Pork Knuckle 27 Leva is absolutely fabulous and comes with homemade chips and gravy and is enough for around 3 people with say a Vegetable Sache.

AXEMANS – Pork Fillets in a cream sauce with mushrooms, garlic and cheese, accompanied by mashed potatoes - 13.90 Leva, also excellent tender Beef Steak (hard to get in Bansko) with chips and sauce of your choice - pepper, chili, barbecue or Rockford - 23.40 Leva, Excellent Homemade Cheese Cake and Baked Banana & very nice house wine. Good meeting place for British & Irish etc at the top end of town, 7:30 prompt! They have a new chef here so much improved.

DUMANOV HOTEL - Excellent Beef steaks c29 Leva, with pepper sauce etc (enough for 2? with a vegetable sache) Nice puddings, especially the Baked Banana with brandy and also the baked apple. Good House Red & White Wine & local Brandy. Can negotiate a 20% discount.

BARYAKOVA – Excellent Roast shoulder of lamb (cooked for 7 hours) superb comes with homemade chips/boiled potatoes/risotto type rice, 88 Leva for a whole one and enough for around 7 people with some extra accompaniments like vegetable sache or you can buy a roast lamb portion. Chicken Fillet, not nice, reconstituted meat?

BANSKI HAN - Chomlec (veal stew) excellent, try with Perlenka (flat bread to dip) & their home made chips. Chicken with Rockford sauce & pork fillet both very nice as is the House red & white wine. Update Dec 2011 Chomlec a bit dry! (5/10 instead of 10/10) hope it’s a one off?

ST IVAN RILSKI HOTEL - The pork cutlet chops were very big, char grilled and excellent, 12.60 leva plus 1 leva for wild mushroom sauce. Excellent homemade chips. For desert I can recommend the pancakes with apple and cinnamon, that come with nice ice cream and you get 2 big pancakes which is enough for 2? I did not like the cheesecake here. Nice house red but served to us very chilled!

BISTRO PIRIN – V Nice chicken soup 1.80 leva, try the fried rice with chicken (makes a nice change) 8 leva, my lads like the breaded chicken fillet (v big) 10 leva. Proper homemade chips and you get a big plate full.

HAPPY GRILL – (Todorka sign above) Opposite the Fortuna Hotel. Very nice local food, good for lunch. I can recommend the following, all homemade: local sausage 8 leva, chips with/without cheese c3 leva, Chicken soup & excellent bread.

BOYANOVI PIZZA - Great Pizzas etc

MOMINI DVORI – For lunch/starter try the homemade Chicken or Tripe soup with their excellent Parlenka (Flat Bread with/without Garlic)

THE PESHERITE - Local sausage 7 leva, chicken “chop” 6 leva, both BBQ`D, first class homemade chips 2.50 leva (big bowl), Very nice omelettes & “poached” eggs (you actually get 3 fried eggs on a plate!) try the homemade ketchup.

TEMENUSHKA - Very nice coffee with milk, cakes etc.

From my “Pete’s Bansko Winter Guide” if you’re not on my mailing list and want a copy e mail me: pete@explore-bansko.com
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
petethefeat,

Go away please. rolling eyes
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have to say we got back from Bansko (trip 29/01 to 09/02/2012) the snow was amazing off piste. The last day powder on the main slope they are using for the competition was like surfing through a foam party!! It as the first time in Bansko for us and exceeded our expectations, the powder dare I say it was better than my season in Red Mountain, BC Canada last year!

Smile
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
petethefeat, great for vegetarians then rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Packed and ready to go tomorrow morning! Whoop! Very Happy

Another quick question,what's the smoking laws in the the town? I don't smoke but the 4 others I'm with do! Razz
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
smoking is a bit of a mixed bag. Some places are non smoking, but others are more relaxed. Typical Bulgarian laid back approach to applying a policy wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy