Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Off Piste Maps

Poster: A snowHead
Just found this:

http://www.monterosa.com/Portals/0/images/Pistmaps/Monterosa-off-piste-Map-Big.jpg

Do many other resorts produce this type of map?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wow, neat... I've not seen examples of this before. But I have seen off-piste guide books - notably for the 3 valleys.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That does look very useful, wish there were versions for all resorts. It give at least a decent idea of where to scope out out some off piste runs.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There are a whole series of 'Freeride Maps' (?) for various Swiss resorts (& others) - have never used them but look to be vaguely similar (with slightly more detail - partly topographic/proper map).

* In fact a quick google reveals they have expanded... http://www.freeride-map.com/?lid=2&cid=100
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ringingmaster, I like that a lot.

Hopefully a few more of that quality will turn up on the web.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
offpisteskiing wrote:
There are a whole series of 'Freeride Maps' (?) for various Swiss resorts (& others) - have never used them but look to be vaguely similar (with slightly more detail - partly topographic/proper map).

* In fact a quick google reveals they have expanded... http://www.freeride-map.com/?lid=2&cid=100

Freeride maps don't show routes as such, they have shaded areas indicating average gradient and closed areas. They have one or two arrows indicating access to areas that involve walking, and they also mark areas of particular high risk of avalanche. They look pretty, and they are indeed based on "real" maps, but in practice I find a guide book (or local knowledge) plus a normal map to be more useful. The colouring on the freeride maps makes the "real" map harder to read. That said I do have a couple and have used them in conjunction with a guidebook. They are also pretty expensive, but then so are the normal Swiss maps that the original freeride maps are based on...

For Switzerland you can get 1:50000 Swiss Topo maps showing ski routes. These are oriented towards ski touring, but they are pretty nice for lift-assisted skiing too. It's a shame they are only do this on the 1:50k though, they don't seem to add the same data to their 1:25k maps.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ringingmaster wrote:
Just found this:

http://www.monterosa.com/Portals/0/images/Pistmaps/Monterosa-off-piste-Map-Big.jpg

Ive heard of this incredible tool for the Web called Google.com You type in:

<resort> off piste map

and it shows you links to off piste resort maps.

for example:-

davos off piste map

amazing!

ps don't tell too many people about google, best keep this between ourselves.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I use different god mapping apps for android such as apemap that has free topo maps for Austria, these also Shiite summer walking paths which can be very useful reference points.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
That does look very useful, wish there were versions for all resorts.

Ummm...
To state the *obvious* - just buy the local 1:25K or 1:50K topo map for the appropriate region.
Along with a compass it contains all the information you need for navigating off piste.

The freeride maps mentioned above are quite good - but to be honest they are just expensive versions of the local regional maps printed on waterproof paper. The only extra information is colour coded regions (based on the steepness of the contour data) to designate 'extremo ratings' to the 'freeride zones'. Just as well buying the local Swiss / Austrian / French topo for 5/10 euros and learning how to read it ?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
waynos wrote:
I use different god mapping apps for android such as apemap that has free topo maps for Austria, these also Shiite summer walking paths which can be very useful reference points.

God Mapping?

Shiite Summer? (being the opposite of a Sunni summer?)

Are you getting into religion? (there is a funny little place just behind the Planai lift...)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sah, Have never used them myself - more a fan of 'real' maps it has to be said...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
davidof wrote:
ringingmaster wrote:
Just found this:

Ive heard of this incredible tool for the Web called Google.com You type in:

<resort> off piste map

and it shows you links to off piste resort maps.

for example:-

davos off piste map

amazing!

ps don't tell too many people about google, best keep this between ourselves.

Hmmm rolling eyes
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
offpisteskiing, sah,

Thanks for the useful comments.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think off piste maps would be good to have provided they give the names for routes and areas. The alpine 1::25000 maps I have give some names, eg they name a peak or a valley but they do not name the many well known off piste routes between them. If someone has problems off piste then they need place names to communicate their location to the rescuers? I know the names of many of the off piste routes I have skied, but sometimes I wonder whether all the guides and pisteurs in the resort use the same names?

I have tried Googling for off piste maps for couple of resorts, but most of the results seem to offer the piste map plus words about the off piste being wonderful. I have not found any maps of the off piste.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Adrian, grid ref is normally preferable... that is certainly what I would use if giving location by phone/radio for a rescue...
ski holidays
Adrian, you want a guidebook and a normal map. If you're heading out to anywhere you need a map to show you where the route is then you need to be able to map read anyway to tell if you are on the right route or not. A guidebook will typically tell you where to go with photos and the map will help you get there. Route finding in winter depends on the local conditions so no one route on a map is really adequate. Much better some directions and nouse. If you lack either then you'll realise there is a reason why guides are available in resort.
snow conditions
nozawaonsen wrote:
waynos wrote:

God Mapping?

Shiite Summer? (being the opposite of a Sunni summer?)

Are you getting into religion? (there is a funny little place just behind the Planai lift...)

Christ no! that will be the swipe keyboard on phone, using it whilst I was in a gondola. The swipe keyboard must have a god option. Apemap is correct btw. http://www.apemap.de/ looks like the latest version has a 3D mode - must upgrade and have a play. And that funny little place behind planai got bigger this summer, though there is an area behind the top of the planai gondola station where I frequently utter OMG at the quality of the powder.
snow report
offpisteskiing and meh, thank you for your thoughts. Off piste I mostly ski with good local guides. They give names to the routes or areas we ski. When I compare my memory of the routes to the 1::25000 map I find gaps. Then on other occasions people ask whether I remember skiing xxx or that they skied yyy in the resort and I my memory fails me, so I am not sure where I or they skied. It would be nice to have a map that shows names.
snow conditions
Adrian, with a map of that scale you will find gaps. Sadly terrain features get hidden. An online database ala the UK Climbing one would be really nice though. Means you don't need a million guidebooks to get an aide memoir or photos to remind you of a route. There have been a few attempts but weirdly none that have stuck. Skiing has just never taken to it for some reason.
snow conditions
Adrian wrote:

I have tried Googling for off piste maps for couple of resorts, but most of the results seem to offer the piste map plus words about the off piste being wonderful. I have not found any maps of the off piste.

Perhaps davidof could turn his/her sarcasm off for a moment and enlighten us with a constructive post regarding with he/she found?
ski holidays
I have used the freeride maps extensively and have become a convert. Very simple to read and discern what is skiable, and what is outrageous. The flagged danger areas are an invaluable addition, and yeah, the arrowed ascent routes make planning far more simple.
snow report
grab em' here at rather acceptable shipping prices: www.bergzeit.co.uk/freeride-map/
ski holidays
The only Swiss freeride map I have - of Andermatt - was too small to cover many of the normal local routes.

I assume you know the dual language off-piste guide books: Val d'Isere/Tignes; 3 valleys; Chamonix; St Anton; Polvere Rosa (Champoluc/Gressoney/Alagna), Also the larger format ones you cannot ski with: Paradiski (Les Arcs/La Plagne) and Dolomites? Plus there is now a guide to Scottish off piste around Nevis. There may be others but those are the ones I own. Of course you need the 1:25,000 maps too.
ski holidays
For the past five or six years (can't exactly recall) I've been using memory map to plan routes and then download my GPS files (this is all for ski touring) back on to maps, and or upload to Garmin and now Strava such as this http://www.strava.com/activities/48720396 plus I had the maps on my smart phone but was a little clunky.

Then last year Memory Map launched an app that enables you to use the mapping far better on your phone which helps navigation tremendously.

I'm not too sure whether for instance I'd trust the La Grave free riding map that phlo links to above Shocked

For those that don't know all the main ski touring routes (blue dashed lines) are on the 1:25,000 IGN maps - so below you can see many of the classic routes that go from around Col du Lautaret

snow conditions
Are topo maps cheaper to buy in resort? The one I am looking at on amazone is £10.60
snow conditions
Weathercam, do you download maps from your PC to an iphone. Memory map also have a gps unit out. I have seen poor reviews for it, it seems well locked down, for instance you can only licence two 4gb sd cards which seems a bit ott.
snow report
jbob, I'm using an Android Galaxy 2 - I do have all of the Alps on disk for PC - so I had to purchase the app license for £25 I think, which I though was a bit off having the full blown licensed version.

I select an area I want to download to my phone from the PC and then that appears as a map in the list within the app, hope that makes sense.

There is a reasonably good forum on Memory Map that does help better formulate what you can and can not do.
snow report
Weathercam, thanks, I have mm France and if I could easily put it on the mm gps unit I might buy one. However having struggled with various combinations in the past I'm very wary. I have the ign maps on my iphone which is very good shame about the battery life.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy