Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

OFF PISTE COURSE MARCH - TIGNES OR GRESSONEY - BETTER SNOW?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
All,

other half and I can't decide between a SCGB Off Piste Progression course in Tignes or a Snoworks Backcountry course in Gressoney for mid March. We know Tignes fairly well from years gone by (though no off piste back then) but have never been to Monterosa area. All I can really find ref the Monterosa area off-piste in general is that it can be amazing at times, but a lot of time it can be icy crud and snow is often better in other parts of the alps. This is just a general impression I've gained so could be very wrong.

Would really appreaciate if any other snowHead s have any experience of skiing Gressoney backcountry and Tignes off piste during march and can explain pros and cons of both?

Thanks

Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd deffo go to Gressoney : superb area, particularly with the terrain accessible from the Punta Indren cable (More than 2,000m of vertical : 3,275m to Alagna 1,212m) . Plus the scenery in the Monte Rosa is superb, and it's much cheaper than France.

Unfortunately weather is weather, and it can have a reputation for excellent conditions getting spoilt by strong winds - I've been twice - first time great snow but yep:somewhat windblown : However March last year had some of the best snow ever, whilst most of NW Alps were whingeing about lack of snow Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tignes Val d' off-piste superb in March and this year even better having just come back; some excellent itineraries which are only "stable" later give you full range of a fantastic area, there are no cons I can think of apart from getting burnt if you don't put on enough block and of course avalanche. I only ski off-piste- from lifts and uphill boot flogs of maximum 1-2 hours without skis, so cannot comment on the touring element. Do not know Gressoney at all.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
sd2010,

If you are worried about the snow conditions in Gressoney why not try the Tarentaise Safari with Snoworks? Based in St Foy and skiing St Foy, Tignes/Val D, La Rossiere/La Thuile no need to worry about snow conditions only your legs wink
Details here http://www.snoworks.co.uk/dates_detail.asp?dateid=319
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
geoffers, that is a beautiful shot and your comments ref the weather sum up nicely what we were thinking Very Happy .

Cynic, we probably do under-rate Tignes as a resort as have never ventured that far off-piste whenever there.

stewart woodward, you're a man after my own heart - I have indeed looked at that as St Foy and La Rosiere have been on to do for a long time. However, understanding grandparents are only available for week starting 10/11 March so very narrow window of opportunity for us! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm going to Gressoney with Snoworks this March, I have never been before but this will be my fourth Snoworks backcountry course, and my third Snoworks course this year. From what I've heard Gressoney is the favourite amongst instructors and clients, and the hotel they stay in is meant to be brilliant with gorgeous food. The backcountry format is excellent, we had our best week ever in St Anton in January. The guides they work with are always excellent and the instruction, as ever, is first class. And being backcountry, it's always that little bit more intrepid than you get on their (also amazing) off piste and all terrain courses. Gressoney always sells out too, and they only run me week a year, whereas you can do that kind of course any week of the season in the EK. Don't get me wrong, I love the EK too, but if you can get a place on the Gressoney trip it would win hands down!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lovessnoow, unfortunately I think it may be moot point now as believe all the hotel rooms in Gressoney have gone and OH doesn't fancy the other hotel - pity - but we've been having to play the waiting game with work to confirm we could get away that week. Sods law Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy