Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Peisey Nancroix

Poster: A snowHead
Off to Peisey Nancroix in ten days.. Very Happy

How easy is it to get back to the village at the end of the day? I know there is a free lift but is there a skiable route.

Also want to get across to Les Arcs 1800, is that pretty straightforward.

Also are there any shops, bars or restaurants in Nancroix and are there bus links around the Peisey Vallandry area.

Sorry to have a mass of questions but getting excited!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Very, yes, yes ,yes, probably not.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
martyngb, I'm assuming you mean Peisey at the bottom of the little bucket lift? I think Nancroix is a seperate village further up the valley, but there are so many Peisey somehtings I'm probably wrong!!!!

Yes you can ski down to the village snow conditions permitting. But it is not pisted or marked (I don't think) but my boys went their with ski school, whichever way you went you'd need to cross a road or two so unless you're desperate for a ski, take the bucket lift!

Yes easy to get to 1800 - take the chair out of peisey, head across the bowl follow signs to Derby, then down Matix to 1800.

Yes a variety of shops etc and a short walk over to Vallandry for others as well

There is a free shuttle bus which rattles around Vallandry, Peisy, Plan Peisey, Nancroix and all points in between
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Boris,

Thank you, re assured that I'd not booked somewhere miles from anywhere! Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
martyngb, had a week in Plan Peisey last year.
The ski down was not possible while we were there due to lack of snow, and as Boris said, there is no piste as such. The "lobster pots" are fine but close at ?5.30pm.
Very straightforward to get to Arc 1800 - up the lobster pots and then up Peisey (they must have thought for ages about that lift name) and then head left along a long blue.
A couple of bakeries and a couple of bars and a deli-type place if my memory serves me correctly.

Have a great time.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
martyngb, at teh bottom of the lobster pots - it i sreally nice- like aFrench Village (which it is) rather than a housing project on the outskirts of Omsk- or a Disney pastiche. (But don't tell anyone).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ed123, yes it is a pretty little village. If you look carefully, you may even spot some cows in the undercroft of one or two of the buildings.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
They are certainly skiing all the way down to Peisey ( & beyond!) this year - but as Boris says, its unpisted. I watched a dad & toddler spend the afternoon sledging down to Peisey & coming back up in the yogurt pots time & time again last week Very Happy

Freddie Paellahead, & don't forget to mention the goats wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
genepi, now Megamum will be there like a shot! wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Freddie Paellahead, Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cynic wrote:
Very, yes, yes ,yes, probably not.
Forgot there is a cow shed which serves as a bar, many years ago I skied quickly to the entrance hit a boot scraper went across bar floor like a torpedo and cleared a table full of drinks, several francs later and to much ribald cheering I left. Very good off-piste in the trees, I must go back.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Boris wrote:
martyngb, I'm assuming you mean Peisey at the bottom of the little bucket lift? I think Nancroix is a seperate village further up the valley, but there are so many Peisey somehtings I'm probably wrong!!!!

To answer the 'which peisey' are you question then this thread might help http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=53223

or if you're more of a visual person - http://www.peisey-vallandry.com/documents/plan_vallee.pdf

Enjoy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
martyngb, as you are coming out to the Les Arcs ski area shortly. The best place to get up-to-date info about the resort and skiing is either on the snow conditions thread

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=79067&start=1080

where you can also ask whatever questions you like about the whole area and shops etc or on the Les Arcs Winter facebook page. Link below.

I try to update these daily about conditions and many people can help with your questions with current info.

As for the questions you asked. Yes, you can ski down to Peisey Nancroix right now, but it is off piste and you do need to be quite a good skier/boarder.

Going to Arc 1800 is very easy, just follow the signs from the top of the Peisey chair.

There is only one place to eat in Nancroix and it is very expensive. No shops or bars very near. You must go down to Peisey village or up to the cross country area.

There is a bus from Nancroix every half hour on the hour/half hour approx. It is free and goes to the lobster pots lift. The bus runs during lift opening times I think.

If you have any more questions please ask them over on the main season thread which I check each day. Hope this all helped. Have a good holiday.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
martyngb If you're not in 'Nancroix Nancroix' and are, in fact in 'Peisey Nancroix' then disregard Snowcrazy's post - you aint in the sticks.. Gregs bar is fine in Peisey. He's talking about 'L'Ancolie' in Nancroix, you wouldn't want to go there in a month of whiteout Sundays!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
martyngb, I agree with allanm, last comment regarding the bar if you staying in the main Peisey village rather than Nancroix village. But you will still need to be a good skier to get down the off piste to where you are staying I would expect. Where will you be based exactly, then I can be more specific.
latest report
snowcrazy,

Hi, We're staying in Peisey Nancroix, apparently a 5 minute walk from the bottom of the lobster pots

Very Happy
snow report
martyngb, Which chalet are you in? I'm wondering if its the one Freddie Paellahead stayed in last year, that advertised itself as being in Peisey Nancroix & 5 mins walk from the lobster pots, but was Villaret - the new end of Peisey. No problem with that - just a bit further to walk to the bar wink
latest report
genepi, Chalet Chazalet?
snow report
martyngb, That's the one! You could PM him.
snow conditions
Generally, 'Peisey Nancroix' (where Gregs Bar is) is refered to just as 'Peisey, 'Nancroix Nancroix' up towards the Nordic centre - where L'Ancolie is, is just plain 'Nancroix' and 'Plan Peisey' above Vallandry (old squirrel bar, La Vache etc) is just... 'Plan Peisey'. Hope that helps...

The navette timetable isn't so easy....
ski holidays
genepi, How?
ski holidays
martyngb, He's posted higher up in this thread. If you click on the mega-snowhead title under his name, it will come up as a PM. Or at the top of your screen, there's a read/send message box. You'll need to look at that to see his reply Very Happy
latest report
Thanks, bit of an IT FW !
snow report
Each to their own of course, but I've never skied back into Peisey and not found the last bit icy.

There are IMO more options to drop back into Vallandry, including right from Arc 1800 along the little cut through onto Foret, so could then take the Navette from their back to Peisey.

Not that getting back to peisey doesn't provide multiple options of course!
ski holidays
Thnaks for the inputs

Am I likely to need snow chains?

Cheers
latest report
martyngb, Keep an eye on the weather. They're pretty slick about snow clearing generally, but the intense cold makes it difficult.. When we were ther last week everyone was using either chains or winter tyres. Also, I seem to remember your chalet is up a bit of a hill....
snow report
genepi, Cheers, I was thinking of waiting to see what the weather was like before committing to hiring them.
snow conditions
Boris wrote:
Each to their own of course, but I've never skied back into Peisey and not found the last bit icy.

Doing well to ski back to Peisey... more of an off-piste route..

Now skiing to plan-peisey - yes I agree that it can get a little icy at times.

has that helped the peisey confusion..

As to the chains question - did a season in plan-peisey on winter tyres and didn't use chains once, but then I could pick and choose when to go up/down the hill. Given we've know you're located Martyngb in peisey no wait Villaret then that's at about 1400m so you might not need them, depending on the conditions.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
martyngb wrote:
...Am I likely to need snow chains?..Cheers

Well... If it snows and you need to drive up (or down) the hill, then yes.... otherwise no.

Contrary to what some people are saying, dependant on the time of day, they are not so good at clearing the roads from Landry up, at least to a degree where you can use normal tyres. Chains are relativley cheap, buy in Albertville if conditions look remotely like you may need them. If the roads are [very] dodgy on the day you leave, and you don't have chains, you will (probably) make it down, but you won't do it again.
snow conditions
Quote:

Contrary to what some people are saying, dependant on the time of day, they are not so good at clearing the roads from Landry up

this is worth remembering for a lot of "local" spots. And if it's snowy, roads can also pile up with snow quickly between passes of the snowploughs. A fair bit of snow/slush/ice can remain on roads with only low levels of traffic for many days after it's stopped falling - I wouldn't risk venturing up into any resort area with only summer tyres and no chains. martyngb, where are you hiring your car from?
snow report
pam w, Grenoble Airport, Holiday Autos quoted £35 for snow chains........may add them.

Thanks
ski holidays
martyngb, I think I would - you can't forsee what conditions will be like when you leave, & there's a steepish hairpin junction at Peisey to get onto the main downhill road to Landry from where you are staying.

Have a great holiday Very Happy
snow report
bertie bassett wrote:
Boris wrote:

Doing well to ski back to Peisey... more of an off-piste route..

Now skiing to plan-peisey - yes I agree that it can get a little icy at times.

has that helped the peisey confusion..

Not really, I know exactly which Peisey I meant - may not be the one I said but I know what I mean wink
ski holidays
martyngb, chains definitely. You might not need them if it doesn't snow while you are there, but if there is any significant lying snow at village level, you will be walking the 10-15 mins to lobster pots.
snow report
martyngb, from Grenoble you won't get winter tyres unless you pay extra AFAIK, so definitely chains. And if you're not familiar with them, or they're a new type, have a quick practice.
latest report
How long does it take to get up to Plan Peisey in the lobster pots
snow report
^^ One fag
snow conditions
martyngb , the ski down to Peissey is not that bad , if you go via La Vache , the road/path is quite often covered in snow and you can board/ski across , we did it several times on a board last week , the only thing to look out for is people's washing lines , because they are about knee height at the moment due to all the snow . Several of my mates took a tumble last week , pretty hilarious too watch . Alternatively ski down to the Paradiski lift , takes ski/boards off , walk over road to lobster pots and carry on down on ski's , plenty of snow , just a bit lumpy and bumpy , the pots take forever and last week there were queues forming at end of day ,the snow is excellent .
Also we had a meal in L'ancolie , they do not usually accept big English bookings , but Freddy the ski instructor booked it for us , it was amazing , well worth the price if you can get in .
snow conditions
l'Ancolie... yumm yumm.
Did you take out a mortgage beforehand?

(Fantastic food but not cheap)
latest report
Need some help, am arriving on Eurostar into Bourg, any recommendations on how to get up to Peisey, that doesn't need a second mortgage Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy