Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Knees and turn radius of a ski...

Poster: A snowHead
My knees are amongst the worst kept part of my body... follows years of footballing, kayaking, especially crashing off my mountain bike etc etc.

I have quite a large turn radius on my skis. If I was to get a pair of skis that are around the 15-16m radius mark, would this put increased twisting pressure on my knees as I crank through the quick short radius turns?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
shoogly, excuse a non-technical answer, but I inadvertently hurt my knees quite badly, trying to get on to their edges in short radius turns, a pair of skis with a much larger turn radius than I had been accustomed to. I've still got some swelling, many weeks later.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd have thought it ws the other way round; shorter radius skis should be able to do short turns more efficiently.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mosha Marc, me too. I think that, as well as being a technical numpty generally, I may have misunderstood the OP. Embarassed
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
shoogly, I assume shorter radius = thinner underfoort, which would also put less pressure on your knees I'd reckon...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
wide radius normally means wider underfoot. This means more torque on the knee when on an edge eg carving on piste, so shorter rad = easier on the knee if you are piste skiing. But, fatter skis usually give an easier ride in bumps and offpiste, so it depends what you're doing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A slalom ski say 67 tr 11.3 used in tight slalom like turns will give your knees, hips and back a good work out.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
i think skis designed to make shorter radius turns should be easier on the knees if you are trying to achieve the same radius - ice skates dont hurt my knees

However, i remember reading somewhere that when carving skis made their way onto the tour, the pros were having many more knee injuries because of the higher torque that was being applied to them in the carved turns

Dont think that answer helsp any single jot

Sorry
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pedantica, your first post I think would make sense, trying to get a longer radius ski to do short turns with too much edge angle would put a lot of strain on the knees, doing the same short turns with the same ski but flatter angles will reduce the
strain.

Maybe it's a bit more about how we ski a particular ski rather than "what" we ski will dictate how our knees hold up, forcing a long radius ski to do short turns with the wrong edge angle or without bending it will probably hurt as much as not being ready to react in time to the turns a short radius ski can achieve.

Any thoughts of forcing a ski to turn through twisting is going to hurt, if the ski doesn't want to do the turns you are looking to achieve either flatten it, bend it, or a mixture of both.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
as someone with a dodgy knee, i think wide skis on hardpack put the most stress on my knee

can't see that short turn radius skis, skied properly, will be a problem. they may have a tendency to hook up when you don't want them to, which could cause issues
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

wide skis on hardpack
Yes, that's wot done it.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arno wrote:
i think wide skis on hardpack put the most stress on my knee

I can see the theory behind that, but will it make that much difference? The change in angle at the knee must be small.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mosha Marc, to be fair, I haven't done a side-by-side comparison because I don't own any skinny skis any more
i do know that skiing powder on fat skis makes my knees much happier than skiing icey bumps
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arno, ahh, but would your knees be any happier skiing icy bumps on skinny skis???

We should be told wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mosha Marc, that was how I blew my ACL out in the first place!
ski holidays
Arno, ergo, fatter skis are good.

Glad we sorted that out. Next.............................
latest report
shoogly, my take is that for any given turn shape, a ski with a shorter ski radius will be easier on your knees. Caveat is if a turn becomes carved on the shorter ski radius ski while remaining skidded on the longer ski radius ski, in which case the carved turn on the shorter ski radius ski will produce more stresses on the knee.
latest report
Sorry, know it's a bit late, only just seen the thread! I have terrible knees and have finally stopped taking my proper slalom race skis that I use on the plastic or in the snowdome on holiday with me cos without fail skiing on them for one whole day on holiday makes me unable to walk for about a week! (due to the pain in my knees, not just general lack of fitness Toofy Grin ). Those skis are 155cm salomon 3Vs, my snow skis are 160cm K2 moto S comps, which are a fairly detuned slalom ski, definitely a level down from the 3Vs. Can't do quite the same silly small turns but still good fun. Would imagine, as others have said, that if you are just trying to do the same turn size on different length skis then the effect might be different but I find using slightly longer, larger radius skis and skiing the size of turns they're meant to do is much better than spending all day doing teeny slalom turns on my slalom skis! Basically longer turns = less knee pain Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy