Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt - advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

We are off to Zermatt in mid-late March and I have read a few negative reviews about difficulty of slopes and amount of flat spots. We have a couple of boarders in the group and a few that like relatively challenging slopes. A day or so off piste would be possible but only one in the group is a tourer so it would need to be piste accessed downhill off piste rather than up and over skin led.

Any advice from those who have been here much appreciated.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just come back from Zermatt - It is an awesome place. The snow is great out there at the moment so most of the slopes are easy but some of the blacks in less than perfect condition maybe a little challenging - that said one of the worst runs i found all week was a scraped off red into the Gant lift. If you are all good intermediates or above you wont have any problems. There isnt a blue into the village and the tracks do get busy around 3.3o ish
Up on the glacier particularly back from Cervinia it is flatish and very windy so there was a lot of walking boarders other than that I wouldnt be put off. Go and enjoy, its a great resort.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Zermatt is great but be very careful if you are thinking of going off piste. Please don't do it without a guide. In my reasonable experience of the place (worked there quite a lot) it gets a LOT of wind, particularly up high. The terrain under the snow is also quite rocky in many/most places, so expect lots of sharks particularly if the snow is not that deep - Sunnegga-Rothorn stands out particularly here but I think Gornergrat and Klein too. Save Mach III for maybe the second or third run down Smile

Zermatt's really not a place to follow other people's tracks (not that I ever think this is a good idea), especially up high on Gornergrat and Klein and definitely near the glacier areas. I know of one avalanche death there a few years back that was one of the resort's most experienced long-time seasonaires and it was a slide that came down about two weeks after the last snowfall.
Sorry that this is a bit dark, but there you have it.

The up side is that there is really great terrain to be skied in Zermatt. Just be safe! And head to Hennustall and Papperla for apres and live music. Good times!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
my advice would be to bring LOTS of money --- £15 for a bowl of watery soup with bread and a coffee !!! (dat was up the mountain - probable £10 was for the view Wink )
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
check out the yellow runs. or 'itineraries' especially stockhorn area for a challenge and quiet off piste runs with no lift ques Smile but shhhhh don't tell everyone!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
albob wrote:
my advice would be to bring LOTS of money --- £15 for a bowl of watery soup with bread and a coffee !!! (dat was up the mountain - probable £10 was for the view Wink )

+1 Never mind boots, skis or clothes. Just fill your bag with wads of £50 notes!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy