Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Private Lessons

Poster: A snowHead
Me and my other half are away in Kitz next week, we've got about 4 weeks skiing under our skis all in all but since having our learn to ski lessons at an indoor ski slope we haven't had any formal coaching since. We can get around fine and enjoy ourselves tackling reds easy enough or a couple of blacks if it's not too icy but I think we're unlikely to get any better without some more lessons.

I was considering group lessons but the groups are 10-12 (Red Devils in Kitz) BlackSheep don't seem to offer groups unless you're part of a larger group but offer private lessons at 140 euro for 4 hours so I'm considering getting 2 4 hour lessons on different days. So what do you folks think? Are private lessons the way to go in our case? I'd say we're a similar level but my OH lacks that male gene to just throw yourself down like I do and is far more afraid of falling than I am.

This isn't a chaep option but my reckoning is 1:2 tuition will be eqivlent to several hours in a larger group. So how do these go? Will the instructor watch us, pick our technique to bits then show us where we're going wrong?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've only done group lessons in UK dryslope but have used a couple of private lessons in Alps, and have done so for kids. For me the private lessons work much better
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Are private lessons the way to go in our case? I'd say we're a similar level

Yes, I'd say so. But 4 hours is too long, IMV. Unless the economics are very different, why not have three or four 2 hour lessons. I'd have them together - more enjoyable together, much cheaper, and the same skills will probably be relevant, even if you have more confidence.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
For instruction I've skied both in groups and 1:1 private lessons. Each approach had its merit. In groups it was less intensive, I had more time to think, it was more sociable, and I learned as I watched others - particularly as I listened to the instructor's commentary. I'd say, even disregarding cost, I'd prefer being in a group of 6 or so for general instruction, but 1:1 if I had specific problems I felt I needed to be addressed. Of course, a specific perceived problem could well stem from a basic technique being wrong, but even so, the instructor could then tailor his/her instruction to my requirements.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
audio1482, As an instructor myself (all be it few and far between these days) if you can afford the private lessons then these are the way to go. As you touched on a couple of hours in private lessons is eqivilent to much longer in a group lesson. One thing I'd say is to be clear what you want out of your lesson and convey this to your instructor, its likely he'll watch you ski initially and if anything basic is wrong he/she will put you right.

As pam w, says spliting your lesson time has it's own merits but it's down to you if you're fit then 4 hours is fine and I expect they'll charge by the hour but will offer a discount for 4 which is the norm IME. Most people like getting their lesson then having at least half a day to go and practice what they've learnt. Allot depends on your instrutor tbh I'd hope they'll have a high minimun standard but having been on the inside looking out the stardard of instructor can vary wildly to say the least.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
audio,

I think your approach is spot on. It's what I recommend to people.

J
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My view is 4 hours is too long for what you want. The instructor will be able to pick out your problems pretty quickly. And you will not be able to correct them as quickly. So they will just be going over the same stuff several times. I would imagine with the 4 hours the instructor will simply make it more relaxed and string things out. Maybe you'd rather have that. But you will still have to take away the advance and work through it in your own time. I can think of circumstances where a longer period might be useful but not when you've done 4 weeks and want some general tuition to give you a "boost". Just IMO of course.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

The instructor will be able to pick out your problems pretty quickly. And you will not be able to correct them as quickly.

Very true. And you do need to practice afterwards. But IMV, given that you have had very little tuition overall, there would still be a lot of merit in having several sessions. For a start, unless you are different from most of us, you will not be very good at judging whether you are getting it right - it's really useful to have an experienced eye who can identify exactly what's going wrong (even, IME, when you are skiing behind them; instructors have eyes in the back of their heads....).

A session on day 1, 3 and 5 would be good - plenty of time to practice and also just to ski around enjoying yourselves, in between. Then you should see a good progression over the course of the week.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all the replies guys. Grizwald, You're right they offer a discount for block booking in blocks of 4hours I take it they mean in the same day. I'm really up for 4 hour lessons but the OH less so. So I think we'll maybe go for 2 hours on our first day then anotehr 2 on day 2 or the day after. I'm going to get them to give me a call back this evening and have a good chat as it doesn't say where the meeting points are on the website.

On previous trips we've just wanted to get out there and enjoy ourselves without getting lessons but I'm hoping improving technique will lead to enjoying it more so we can tackle more challenging stuff. I'm tempted to cram the lessons in at the start but I now see the merits of spliting them. I've actually been on holidays with a mate who did his instructing quals in Canada and teaches a few weeks of the year, he has pointed out where I'm going worng so I'm hopefully not too bad!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
audio1482, Private is the way to go, however 4 hours is a very, very long private lesson. Don't forget as its 1:1 a good instructor will leave you knackered after about 3, let alone 4. You are far better of doing 2, go practice and then do another.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
audio1482, I went and had a look on Blacksheeps website-I'm actually out there myself next week too-where you staying? If You're looking for buddy one day drop me a PM I'd be happy to give you some pointers although my ego isn't big enough to suggest that my teaching will be as good as a full time pro out there Laughing I won't even charge you more than say a beer at the end of the day either Twisted Evil

BS seem pretty reasonable to me, and in your circumstance they only charge a nominal fee for an extra person whilst I've seen many charge much more. I'm thinking of getting my Girlfriend some lessons with them and while she's in lessons get a guide.

I'd suggest maybe getting your ski legs on the Sunday then maybe have 2 hours Mon, Tues, Wed, having them together like that has it's merits as if you haven't quite grasped something you can put it right pretty quickly. This is all just my opinion of course when it comes to learning skiing (like anything) there are many different schools of thought.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
audio1482, I used to work for Black Sheep - go for it!! If you ask for your lessons with Alex, he'll get you sorted. Couple of hours a day for a few days is perfect - time to practice in between. Really good value for money I think, I've seen red devils groups with 14 people in before eeek. Anyway, enjoy whoever you go with Kitz is a fab resort, get over to Pass Thurn for some quiet slopes Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Grizwald, Thanks for the offer I'll drop you a PM as I'd def be up for a day or afternoon with someone who's more experienced than me. I'm all booked up to go now 3 x 2hr lessons and then I'll see where we're at after that.

heidiky, Thanks for your reply good to get some info and an endorsement from someone who has worked for them. I looked at Red Devils but it hasn't really cost me a great deal more for 6 hours of private lessons than it would have for a group less with RD's and they said the groups were 10-14 which put me off. In comparrison to BS they're private lessons are much more expensive and BS have only charge an extra £5 per hour to teach 2 over 1 so I reckon this is decent value.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Don't for get the tip!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cynic wrote:
Don't for get the tip!

Skiing lesson definition:

Time spent by somebody who cannot really afford it, being taught by somebody who cannot really afford to teach.
snow report
@ audio1482

I've sent you a PM
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy