Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Anton at Easter?

Poster: A snowHead
Planning a trip to Austria from the 7th April,and St Anton is high on the list.Thing is,how will things be this late in the season? I know there is epic snow at the moment,but what's it likely to be like come April.Done lots of Easter weeks in the past,but always high,and always in France....so no experience of an average April in Austria Confused
Not looking for snow depths,just an overview of the likely situation,esp regarding St Anton.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Spring snow. Possibly icy early, likely slushy late, possibly perfect in between.

Late sunny evening's on the sun decks. Lot's of partying and outdoor bands. Possibility of late season snowfall.

Coverage at village level is likely to be thinning out. But most of the time you'd be skiing higher than that.

Obviously very dependent on how the conditions play out at the end of the season, impossible to know that now.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nozawaonsen, So,likely to be pretty much what I'm used to wink Bit of a bummer in some ways.My head says wait,and follow the conditions...but...I really would like to go to SA and,to get the deal I fancy,means booking pretty soon.Think it going to be Austria whatever happens, as I've pretty much had it with France for the moment wink
From somewhere, I seem to recall,Austria has a pretty good late season snow record....or have I just dreamt that up?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pretty much everywhere had a difficult end of season last year as Spring was terrifically warm. This was compounded in the northern Alps by it being a generally poor to very poor (especially in parts of French Alps) snow year.

Obviously no idea what spring will be like this year, but after very heavy snowfall in first part of winter and then very cold since then, the northern Alps should be better placed for spring.

I am slightly curious about what will happen to parts of the snowpack which are weakly bonded to steep and grassy ground when temperatures warm (we've already seen quite a few full depth slides), but that's going off topic.

Back on topic other good Austrian places to consider late season (as well as Lech and Zurs) are Ischgl and smaller Obertauern.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowskisnow, I went to St Anton last February and loved it. You'll find the prices similar to our usual Easter resort. If you decide to DIY I can recommend some apartments.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bear in mind that you'll be doing the vast majority of your skiing c. 1800-2200m or so. Depending on your timing you could get some of the end if season bargains in Strolz etc
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boabski wrote:
Bear in mind that you'll be doing the vast majority of your skiing c. 1800-2200m or so.

Yeah I was thinking that too. I'm going in 5 weeks, am I right in thinking that Ischgl has a lot more pistes in the 2400 - 2800 area?

Although I haven't skied Lech and Zurs yet, going to have a look around online for the ski maps.

Also what is Strolz vis a vis bargains?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A look at the ski maps tells me Ischgl would prob be a better draw if I'm worried about snow...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Have been to St Anton 3 times at easter, each time there was plenty of snow about high up but skiing always typical spring skiing, get up early for best conditions up to about 1pm then expect great lumps of very heavy mogulled snow particularly lower down but in the afternoon it is everywhere. What it means is different skiing not blasting down flat slopes as fast as you can but it is still great and obviously warmer and nice to sit outside and have a drink. Each time we have gone there has been no snow in the resort and the last day one easter there was about a yard strip of snow left at the bottom of the run home. Basically stay as high as you can and ski loads in the morning, chill in the afternoon. Have been to Val D and Val T at easter as well which were a bit better for skiing (particularly high up) but all round prefer St Anton myself. Have been to Ischgl in December not easter, plenty of skiing there high up as well but will still be spring skiing the same. Again personally I prefer St Anton to Ischgl.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Like nozawaonsen says, you're looking at spring skiing conditions and probably thinning out lower down. With this years base I think cover to the valley will be fine, but who knows. The skiing high up is usually very nice right up until they close the lifts, and the same goes for Lech and Zuers.

It might be my imagination but there tends to be a really nice relaxed atmosphere towards the end of the season; lots of people with cracked lips and panda eyes enjoying beers on the terraces in the village in the afternoons when it gets too slushy. Maybe it's just because it's quieter and the suns out, maybe it's because a lot of people are winding up their jobs and have more time off. I'd highly recommend it, just don't go expecting deep powder, it is unlikely you'll get it. I did once see a 1m+ dump in April, but by 10am it had turned to porridge. Even untracked it was pretty nasty and not as nice as it looked.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I did once see a 1m+ dump in April, but by 10am it had turned to porridge. Even untracked it was pretty nasty and not as nice as it looked.

that's my experience too - you get excited about a new fall in April but it's gone in a flash.

Lovely time to ski though - provided you're not set on 9 - 5 out on the slopes.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
correction - lovely time to be in the mountains. wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Had 50cm of fresh that week last year in Stuben, 20+ degrees the day before, so it really can change massively!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Colin B wrote:
You'll find the prices similar to our usual Easter resort.

Bit pricey then Sad Had a feeling that St Anton might be a few cents above usual Austrian prices wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowskisnow, I didn't think it was too bad, first time I'd been to Austria. L2A prices are reasonable for a large French resort and I believe St Anton is pricey for Austria. You will get discount on lift pass for Liv though (unlike France).
ski holidays
Colin B, Indeed,the pass price structure is much better in Austria,but she's not going to this one,just me and er indoors wink Liv's off to Costa del Skanky,or some such place.Heaven knows why,the piste prep is rubbish Confused(and hopefully,the other 'piste' won't interest a 15yr old)

Been to Austria a couple of times,and found it excellent value,esp on the mountain.Though this is St Anton.....says it all I suppose.Looking to go catered,so it looks like its back to snacks and chocolate in the backpack?
ski holidays
snowskisnow, the subject of relative costs of Austria v France has been done to death and I don't intend to get into that territory (have a search if you want and you'll find plenty of threads on the subject). St Anton is pricier than some Austrian resorts, but there are plenty of good value places on the slopes. The Rodelalm has some good value and tasty lunch options as does Heustadl. Places like Mooserwirt are pricy, but if you go there for lunch you can do worse than share one of the massive portions. A shared pizza at Rendl beach is good value too.
latest report
Check out last year's Arlberg report. Conditions were very up and down but even with unseasonally high temps there was plenty of skiing high up and (for example) the resort run to Stuben was open (if not a lot of fun). We're off to Obergurgl mid April this year. Conditions there mid April 2010 were fine. Had a bit of snow, snow making was still going, resort runs were still open and higher areas great.
ski holidays
nozawaonsen wrote:
the subject of relative costs of Austria v France has been done to death

Yea,been there, done that,enough said wink

Moving swiftly on....glad to hear there are some well priced resto's at SA,but not too surprised.Mirrors what I have found elsewhere.The big one's are one price,but there always seems to be a couple of smaller huts at value prices.And yes,massive portions......proper man food Shocked
I'm starting to think of other areas e.g.Kaprun.Sensible to stay high,say +2500mtr,so rules out areas like the Skiwelt?I'm open to further suggestions.Were looking at catered preferably,and avaliability is not best as its Easter.Also looking at W/C 31st March.St Anton is still first choice,at the moment,but I'm nothing if not flexible Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

and hopefully,the other 'piste' won't interest a 15yr old

Hmmm....
latest report
Ah..slight change of plan has just occured,mostly because 'I did' get the dates wrong Embarassed Now definately 31st of March,and my original options in St Anton have just been flushed down the pan!Due to date,time and airport,it looks as if SA will have to wait,as I cant get a combo to work at a reasonable price Sad

So,whats Mayrhofen like as a venue? That one I can do rolling eyes
snow report
Been to both, and Mayrhofen is still a good shout. Went at the end of March a few years ago and the snow was fine. Decent apres too.
snow conditions
I was in St Anton in the second week of Aril last year.

The conditions were pretty poor, to be honest: but it was the end of a pretty bad snow season. Icy in the mornings, not much of the "perfect conditions" that supposedly exist, heavy and sticky slush after midday. Lech and Stuben areas were no better, despite being less skiied. Off-piste unskiable, due to poor coverage and the snow pack sliding about.

However, in resort was beautiful. T-shirt and board short weather in the afternoon (it was in the early twenties!), great outdoor atmosphere and the same legendary apres ski. So if you want to get a bit of skiing in but have a great alpine holiday, I'd recommend it.

I am thinking of going back there at Easter despite the poor conditions last year. I love the place and, with the right skis, even the slush was OK. Also, this year, I suspect conditions will be better due to the record snow fall in the Arlberg.
snow conditions
snowskisnow, Mayrhofen has alot going for it but isn't in the same league as St Anton, but conditions should be pretty good at the end of March. Main thing most don't like about Mayrhofen is the need to get the main Penken gondola up the mountain and also back down (there are no runs back down to resort level from Penken back down to Mayrhofen). Some people it annoys others don't care. The pistes are mostly short if you're after runs with a huge ammount of vertical. The town has apres to suit all tastes. As an alternative to St Anton I'd consider Iscghl before Mayrhofen but Mayrhofen along with Soll tends to have the cheapest deals with UK TO's.
snow report
snowskisnow, Have skied in St Anton most late March/ early April Easters for last 10 years and its one of my favourite times to ski there. In fairness the off-piste proper adjacent to the pistes is well tracked out but the main big off-piste runs are generally in great condition in the mornings, but after lunch very cruddy. The skiing late in the season is great, long days, fairly warm but still around freezing, regular overnight daily top-ups of snow, 5-10cm each day not uncommon, and very pleasant warm terraces for 4pm beers/ apres. Very chilled time of year, no queuing at all, and very much recommended. Last year was poor, so didnt go, but this year it will be great, I'll be there with a team of pals late March for the week, cant wait. Love that spring snow!! Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:

... not much of the "perfect conditions" that supposedly exist...

Hardly a surprise that the snow was poor last Easter given that according to ZAMG western Austria had only 63% of average rainfall during winter 2010/11.

And after that dry and generally (bar December) mild winter, March 2011 was the sunniest in Austria since 1953, with 40% more sun than on average. Only 25% to 75% of average precipitation across the country. St Anton had 20% of its normal March precipitation and Langen in the Arlberg had only 8cm of new snow compared to a March average of 155cm.

April 2011 was the third warmest in Austria since 1800, the second sunniest in Vorarlberg and Tirol since sunshine records began in 1906. And Vorarlberg and Tirol had only 20-30% of average rainfall.
snow report
Right,now my OH has finally sorted her dates out,we are back where we started rolling eyes So,anyone any knowledge of the Chalet Rose with Inghams? According to the blurb,it sits on the side of the Nasserein nursery slope,with the closest lift being the Nassereinbahn?
With zero knowledge of St Anton,I could do with some idea of its relative position. It's seems OK...anyone stayed there?
Also liking the possibility of some skiable off piste still being around at Easter Toofy Grin Can I start getting excited now?
latest report
snowskisnow, If its beside the nursery slope in Nasserein you'll be very well located to the gondola. You'll be talking a 10-15 minute walk back should you decide to hit the Mooserwirt in the afternoon (which I strongly recommend you do). Failing that you'll be able to ski back to very close to the chalet. Have not stayed in that place before but have based nyself in Nesserein a couple of times and its location is good.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I agree, I stayed at the Nasserein end and it was ideal. Queues (it was half term) were small in the morning and it was easy to get up the mountain and across to the other parts. There are a couple of bars too by the lift, Fang and a hotel bar which were ok for a quick drink after skiing. Walk into town in the evening in shoes was fine.
latest report
boabski, Colin B, Cheers both Very Happy The blurb does focus on its position,and the rest of it sounds good as well.No experience of Inghams,but picture them to be around the same level as the Crystals of this world.Other attraction is its a small chalet,and I have found the general level of service etc tends to improve as the numbers drop.
Its punted as 'almost' ski in,ski out.There is a strip of unpisted to negotiate to reach it.Bet thats fun wink
snow conditions
Just like to congratulate nozawaonsen, for his excellent and informative posts. Obviously no one can predict whether spring will come early, as it did last year, but current snow depths and the low temperatures we have had so far this season give grounds for optimism that there may be excellent spring skiing to be had even in lower resorts than St Anton. I seem to recall that in 2008 (or was it 2009?) they extended the Ski Circus's season (lower than SA but higher than many) by a further week into mid-April on account of the excellent snow coverage, so it does happen....and I met an old timer in a Saalbach cable car last week, who said with apparent authority that the last time he remembered such good snow was 1963! Even last year the pistes down to village level were okay and intact until I left on 28th March; however this year I'm just debating whether to change my already booked return flight from 1st to 8th April. I'd be gutted to leave when it's all still good (fingers crossed as I type!)
snow conditions
[b]Tatman's Tours[b], it was Spring 2009 - I remember as I finished my season in St Anton with a final weeks work in Saalbach.

This season has been the best in a very long time, Easter skiing will be more than excellent - my main concern is that it won't be as slushy as I like before I have to get back for uni exams!!
ski holidays
Quote:

Also what is Strolz vis a vis bargains

8611, have not experienced it myself but my sister and family were in Stuben a few years back at Easter and said that they were selling loads of stuff of half price - which probably only makes it expensive (as opossed to extremely expensive)
latest report
clarky999,
Quote:

my main concern is that it won't be as slushy as I like

Nice to hear such a positive attitude towards the 'not so white' stuff! Shock
snow report
Tatman's Tours wrote:
clarky999,
Quote:

my main concern is that it won't be as slushy as I like

Nice to hear such a positive attitude towards the 'not so white' stuff! Shock

Third best thing to ski on to powder and corn.
latest report
Just got back from St A and there is masses of snow there. So don't worry about whether it will last. We have been to St Anton for the past 3 years and have always been able to ski home at the end of the day. In april you generally ski hard to lunchtime, then have a long lunch taking in the views, and finish at about 3pm in very heavy conditions. Tip! don't go up the Rendl first thing in the morning in April, its always solid ice. Enjoy and chill out.
ski holidays
St Anton > Easter > Not a problem . sking possible top to bottom. Spring sking is excellent.
latest report
stanton wrote:
St Anton > Easter > Not a problem . sking possible top to bottom. Spring sking is excellent.

Agreed Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy