Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Italy - Near Mont Blanc Tunnel!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello everyone,

Mr NN and I fancy a few days in Italy as a bit of a change from the PdS. We only want to go for three days (beginning of March) and will be driving from Morzine so we don't want to spend all day in the car. Any ideas or suggestions?

Many thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nadenoodlee, La Thuile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
courmayeur, champlouc, gressoney, la thuile would all be fun
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I's go with Courmayeur (but then I really do quite like the place). The town is literally at the end of the Mt Blanc tunnel - so a little slice of Italian skiing and culture with the most minimal of driving possible. It's just the right size for a 'long-weekend type of trip' (even if not at the weekend...) The town is a lovely place, and the food is excellent pretty much everywhere - a real escape sort of place.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fab any hotel/ chalet recommendations?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
When you exit the Mont Blanc Tunnel the cable car you can see immediately is from Courmayeur (100km piste) which is 2 miles from the end of the tunnel from the French side or the starting end in the Italy side. If you drive further 9 miles you can reach La Thuile. Think it has 140km piste and is linked with the French La Rosiere. Look out for SS26 the Petit St Bernard Pass which is closed for winter but part of the the mountain pass is used as a red run down to La Thuile. If you drive from the tunnel exit, stay on the toll road to Aosta town itself the distance is 24 miles. Aosta town near the train station has a 18-mintue gondola taking you to Pila a self contained nice skiing resort with 70km piste. There is a free car park at the bottom of the gondola station. Pila is well sign-posted once you are inside Aosta.

If you are a bit more ambitious, stay on the toll road and turn off at Chatillon to Breuil Cervinia that would be the crown jewel of the Aosta Valley because Cervina has 150km piste and linked to Zermatt which has another 200km. The distance from the tunnel end to Breuil Cervinia is 58 miles. You can book 3 days at either Valtourneche or Breuil Cervinia to enjoy this top resort. There are two other tiny resorts on the mountain road to Breuil Cervinia. They are called Trorgnon and Chamois and are too small and should not be bothered with unless you have skied Zermatt/Cervinia so much and sick of it.

If you want more choice the valley next to Breuil Cervinia is Champoluc, then Greesoney and then Alagna linked together to form the 180km piste Monte Rosa Domain. That is a quiet resort accessible via either Champoluc, Gressone or Alagna. I skied it by staying in Gressoney La Trinite.

Anything you ski on the Italian side of the Monte Blanc Tunnel is part of the Aosta Valley.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think you'll find that there more snow the closer you are to Mont Blanc.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name, Apart from there's usually more in Cervinia than Courmayeur.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
P10DW, maybe, But the cervinia skiing is dull and you can't lunch at Chiecco's.

Definitely was decreasing snow quantity the lower down the valley earlier in the season.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Snow's brilliant in Courmayeur at the moment anyway, doesn't look like shifting anytime soon either.

under a new name, let's be fair on all the other restaurants too, not just Chiecco's Wink (I personally love dropping down to Zerotta for lunch, can't quite put my finger on why it stands out for me, but it is my favourite spot). If I recall correctly, Courmayeur has more mountain restaurants per kilometre of piste in the world; and that says more for the number of restaurants than it does for the kilometres...

I'm afraid I can't help regarding accommodation though, I'm usually there working, so end up staying where I'm put.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
yeeeehaaah!! Two weeks and I will be in La Thuile. Certainly my recommendation!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Maison Vielle is the best lunch spot in Courmayeur, anyway NehNeh
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
nbt, I agree with skisimon, Zerotta the best for lunch in Courmayeur - Barbecued Sucking Pig is awesome!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Got to be Courmayeur, I love the place! I can't believe nobody has mentioned La Chaumiere for a lunch spot... A-mazing pizzas and the best cappuccino I have ever tasted!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy