Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can someone please explain the slope/lift codes in Cervinia/Zermatt ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am looking at this page
http://www.cervinia.it/pages/IMPIANTI_E_PISTE_CERVINIA_i_en/446?#ixMainSection

and all the lifts are marked Orange which means "on stanby"
Green means open

Anyone no whats going on?
Is the entire place closed down or is this because the lifts has stopped for the day?

Kind Regards,
Jan
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Diverjan,I think you,ve answwered your own question wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
its italy !!!! -- probably havent bothered to update the states Wink

There again -- Cervinia is subject to bad winds some days, and there has been some High Winds in the alps dis weekend......

alan

Just looked at the time of you post!!! they will be closing for the day....
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Actually it is quite simple to work out.

As far as the Italian is concerned they claim to have every lift on standby the night before. The theory is every lifts can be open if weather permits. When there is a strong wind or avalanche risk some lifts can be closed. In extreme case as happened on 22 Jan the entire Cervinia was shut down! During the day the most up to date information is the display board at the major ski pass offices.

The Zermatt side is a lot more committal. If you Google "Zermatt lifts open" the Swiss will show a map indicating what will be open like this..

The Italian I am afraid have their own way of doing thing. If they were like the Swiss then there would not be a threat of a huge bail out like the Greek.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Was in Cervinia and over from Zermatt this last week. Some pretty high winds, and seriously low temperatures but all lifts open from mid morning latest. - A couple of days the Klein Matterhorn lift and the drags were closed till mid morning as it was 'too cold'.
A couple of Canadian visitors disagreed! snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
May be I didn't look before but this season I noticed in many cable cars had a big pile of concrete blocks strapped together was placed at the middle of the carriage. People sit on it as it is the right height. This is an attempt to ballast the cable car so that it is heavier and therefore will swing at a low pitch in a strong wind. The mass is one of the only two ways to control the vibratory movement.

The cold if gets to the electric motor can stop the cable car from operating. That has happened regularly to the channel tunnel trains and many of the UK trains.

The "too cold" can be a factor to the electric. My own garage door is struggling with noises when the temperature drops below -150C yet the motor runs smoothly in warmer temperatures. May be the hardened grease causes extra drain on the power or the low temperature contraction in the electrical contacts makes the transfer of full power more difficult.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks guys
and also for the Swiss link that seems a little more reliable.
It's my first wisit to Italy and I have prejeudictions against anything Italian, believing that nothing works. Very Happy
Well, the car hire at malparensa airport will be my first encounter.
It was pretty much by coincidence we decided on Italy, Kitzbuhel so far being the place I like and have been to twice.
Not been skiing other places in the alps as yet....
Hopefuly it will not be to cold and windy, I know its among the highest altidude skiing places in the alps Very Happy
is there a rule of thumb regarding temperatures? If its -6C in Cervinia and sunny will it normally be colder or warmer up in the mountains?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
twoodwar wrote:
Was in Cervinia and over from Zermatt this last week. Some pretty high winds, and seriously low temperatures but all lifts open from mid morning latest. - A couple of days the Klein Matterhorn lift and the drags were closed till mid morning as it was 'too cold'.
A couple of Canadian visitors disagreed! snowHead

couple of Canadians living in Liverpool ? Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Also need just to ask,
My wife like the blues and if the reds are truly RED I always feel like crap because of misguiding her Sad
But if the reds are "light red" it will be ok
If the weather is good I was planning to take her this route, which includes some blue and some red:
Klein Matterhorn - Platau Rosa - Theodulpass - Plan Maison

any advice appreciated
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Diverjan, most runs Cervinia side are nice, most of the reds are truly red only a few "dark reds" about but very visible and usually only really short sections. There's a red and black off the bec carre chair that are steeeep (val tournenche) and one less steep (skiers right) and La Motta at the bottom does the best hot choccy Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy