Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Revelstoke Trip Report - Late January 2012

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Date: Jan 29-1st Feb 2012

Our mob: Jan, the walrus and me

Pics: plenty here

Basics : Huddled in the Kootenay Mountains at the foot of Rogers Pass. A remote rail and logging town, surrounded on all sides by very snowy mountains.

The skiing: The headline ‘most vertical in North America’ is certainly true, but it betrays Revelstoke’s greatest assets. The steep, unrelenting fall line skiing, glades as good as anywhere, and especially on the top half of the mountain, copious fluffy snow, all make a great package for powder hounds. Our midweek visit in late January was ridiculously quiet. Powder days with no lines, and untracked pleasure available well into the afternoon. It snowed pretty much all the 3 days we were there. The freezing level oscillated like the Dow Jones, with rain-snow mix at village level, and perfect BC pow a few thousand feet higher. Some runs were simply unbelievably good. Snorkel Glades nearly lived up to their name. Jalapeno was one to treat carefully, and the hike out to North Bowl rewarded knee-deep fresh lines well into the afternoon. Add 1500m vertical top-to-lunch black diamond runs, some groomed, some not, and our Jello-like legs needed much replenishment each evening.

Off-piste : Extensive. Epic. More tree skiing than anywhere I think I’ve ever been. Watch out for cliff bands lurking beneath the freshies. Follow locals, Be careful.

The resort:
Upmarket digs are available at the base of the gondola. But there’s not much else there. About 5km away the town is still a pretty much unadulterated BC country town, with only a few concessions to tourists. It’s not exactly crazy, but there’s plenty of choice for apres and food. And there’s now a bus from town to the ski hill, which is a bonus.

Food : I love the Woolsey Creek Bistro for its eclectic, tasty dishes. Frisbee Ridge Sushi has food much better than its name, and the Idiot Bar is a good hang our for pub food. Drink Mt Begbie beer, brewed in town. It’s not bad at all.

Hotel: If you want luxury, stay at the ski hill base. In town there’s a fairly uninspiring bunch of motels. We’ve stayed in the Alpine Inn, Sandman, Days Inn and this time the Gateway Inn. All acceptable, and walking distance to town. Like a Lucinda Williams gig, don’t expect too much.

Costs: A room for two and 2 day tickets at the Gateway was C$260 per night. Not a bargain, but half the price of staying at the base.

Conclusion: Remote, a little wild and rustic, but well worth the effort to get there. Magnificent terrain and snow
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks for posting.
I've enjoyed Fernie and Kicking Horse. Just love that friendly, friendly BC atmo, zero lift queues and off piste women with beards - yes!. Always been tempted by Revel.
Interesting blog too with good info.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looking forward to checking it out tomorrow. About to make reservations at the Woolsey.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Aw what great pics. Soooo jealous Shock)

I really enjoyed kicking horse some years ago and would love to re-visit the area. Thanks for posting.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Always wondered how the 'resort' (I use the term loosely, given your description) has bedded in, and if the skiing is as good without the launch hype of a few years ago...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We just finished our first day. Quite impressed, even given crap vis that we saw most of the time (or didn't).

Skiing more extensive we thought than KH. Food in Rockford's at base station very good and better priced than KH. Some of us appreciated the waitresses short skirts.Twisted Evil

Current conditions rather rubbish on obvious side piste although more westerly (?) aspect glades more fun. Hearing that North Bowl still has some tolerable powdery stuff, but we were not keen to explore with vis down to about 10ft.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy