Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Oh no not another suggest a resort thread!!!

Poster: A snowHead
Right, as is traditional, before I just book Vallandry (AGAIN!) I will consider some options wink

Country
Open to suggestions, but France preferred as a) driving b) speak a little lingo c) know what's what

When
second week of Easter hols - 7th April. So needs to be snow sure /high

Wants
Cheap lift pass!!!! Buying a family lift ticket is Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked expensive
Would rather have a smaller resort with a limited number of runs
Quiet, family friendly

Apart from more reasonable lift tickets, Vallandry ticks all the boxes of coruse Laughing
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Suggestion 1. Speak to Pam re Les Saises...
Suggestion 2. Try another country, you maybe surprised! Stuben, Ishgl in Austria, from my limited experience hotels in Austria seem to bundle lift passes into the deal...
Suggestion 3. somewhere like Courchevel and only buy a local family pass? 645,80€ from a quick look
Suggestion 4.....You tried La Rosiere Wink Family Pass (Espace San Bernardo) 2 Adults & 2 Children 5 – 17 years old: 6 days: €566
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Will investigate

meant to say - family means 2+3 kids
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What's your budget? S/C OK? Tignes: £1,755 for five including accommodation and ski pass (plus €35 for tourist taxes and €75 for parking)

http://www.snowtrex.co.uk/france/tignes/les_residences_du_lavachet/accommodation.html

All their deals seem to include a lift pass per punter (value £169).

Under 4s get £175 reduction; Under 14s £17.50

Alpe d'Huez (Vaujany) £1185, less £165 ofr under 4s and £12 for under 14s (plus €10 tax). And the Galaxy ski pass takes you all over France.

http://www.snowtrex.co.uk/france/alpe_d_huez/vaujany/les_valmonts_de_vaujany/accommodation.html

http://www.snowtrex.co.uk/search_specials/last_minute_deals.html

Groupon were offering some of their deals recently; presumably there will be more in the offing on similar sites in due course.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 10-02-12 19:33; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Norris is going to Bonneval at Easter see this thread
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1130105
Meets your criteria and has very reasonably priced lift pass, but it is small. Upgrading your pass to spend a day in Val Thorens from Orelle is not ridiculously expensive.
Have been twice at Easter and enjoyed it. One time I did it with a Maurienne valley lift pass which works out even cheaper but involves a lot of travelling to the different resorts.
Val Cenis just down the road is somewhat bigger and a little more expensive but still pretty good.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Boris, how old are the kids?

Do you self cater?

Are you bothered about nightlife?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, 11, 11 and 9

Yep

Hell no!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Boris,
Bonneval for your family would work out at €453 for six days lift pass
http://www.bonneval-sur-arc.com/fr/hiver/forfaits-tarifs.php
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hmm not that gives me another cunning plan - we're half tempted to go to fil place in Italy so that could mean a few days ski and a few days there
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Boris, First time we did it we stayed in Bessans which is a ten minute drive down the road and had some seriously cheap last minute accommodation offers on. It is always likely to be cheap at Easter as it is primarily for x country skiers and the main season has passed by then. (though it was still quite skiable)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Boris
We really liked Les Saisies but I wouldn't personally risk it for the second week in April. The other resorts in Espace Diamant are on the low side.

La Rosiere is a great family resort and not too expensive but it is south facing so I wonder if lower runs like Fontaine Froide are open at Easter? I'd imagine there would still be plenty of skiing on the higher runs and in La Thuile.

Montgenevre is the best option we've found so far for late season. There is a family lift pass deal but I think it is for 2 adults and 2 children.

Our requirements are similar to yours so I'll be watching this thread for ideas for 2013 Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My own guess is that Les Saisies would be better in April than La Rosiere. Certainly the lower parts of the other Espace Diamant resorts might be getting a bit ropey but Notre Dame de Bellecombe and Praz sur Arly are open till 15 April and can be reached from Les Saisies without going down into the Arly Valley. The east-facing runs at the top of Notre Dame de Bellecombe keep their snow particularly well.

Last year was bad in the whole area, including Les Saisies (though we were open after a lot of other areas had closed) but until last year we've skied till the end of the season (around 23 April) Spring skiing can be very enjoyable indeed.

You could probably afford to leave it till much nearer the time to book - there'll be loads of options the first week in April. some of the more snow-sure, high-altitude places might be cheaper at the last minute (though not, of course, if snow elsewhere is poor).

I'm very much hoping to be there for the first half of April but it will depend on the timing of the arrival of my 6th grandchild.

A decent 2 bedroom piste-side apartment in early April would cost you around 350 euros. Here, for instance http://www.locapart-lessaisies.com/planning.htm
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chamonix - les Grands Montets, so long as you don't have any beginners. "Chamonic le Pass" is 607 euro for 2 adults and 3 children for 6 days, covers all the valley's ski areas except Les Houches which you can add by buying the MBU pass instead. Les Grands Montets is the highest / has longest lasting snow. There are Le Crystal apartments near the main téléphérique and ski school meeting point, has a swimming pool 645 euro for week commencing 7/4 for 5 person apartment.
http://www.lagrange-vacances.fr/location-vacances-argentiere_le_cristal_d_argentiere-L_CRIS_ARGENT_FRA_O_H_2_HS-rcre-6.html
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
La Rosiere
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ski Amade
latest report
Boris, you are used to a large ski area ie Paradiski, so why not try the 3 valleys? I would suggest La Tania is a similar base to Vallandry (may be a bit cheaper) with a large choice of accom. Plenty of advice on here about avoiding the hugely expensive places.
snow report
Boredsurfing, top idea, I'd second that.
snow conditions
Boredsurfing, Pedantica, somewhere that's on my list from the reports I've had.
ski holidays
We 'did' La Tania / 3V for 3 consecutive holidays never got bored, lost a few times Laughing but not bored snowHead
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, it's impossible to get lost now, it's so well signposted. Even I don't get lost and I have zero sense of direction.
snow conditions
Pedantica, ah, times have changed, although I seem to recall that it was around Meribel we mainly got lost Very Happy
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, is an option - we went their with very young kids with (shh whisper it) Ski Beat

I've been looking at the Motterat apartments as they're nice and central
snow report
Les Contamines.
snow conditions
Boris, if your looking at 3v Personally I'd recommend you stay in the courcheval valley, la tania is a good base, you won't need the more expensive 3v pass IMHO, and the snow is better as the majority of slopes are north facing.
ski holidays
Boris, Mottaret is, I think, the most convenient place to stay for skiing the whole domain.

kitenski, he may not need the 3V pass, but I think he'll want it.
snow report
Pedantica, Why? Will the kids appreciate it? I very much doubt it. Plenty of skiing in the courcheval area IMHO.
snow report
kitenski, the kids are getting quite big now and they've skied pretty much since they could walk, I think. And it is a holiday for Boris too! Yes, there is plenty of skiing in the Courchevel valley but how sad to miss out - just in terms of pistes - of Mont Vallon, Jerusalem and so much more. And the domain is so brilliantly linked that it's a doddle to get around it all, even for a mere intermediate skier.
latest report
It all depends on the cost/facilities equation, doesn't it? A 3V pass would obviously cost more than a Courchevel pass which would cost more than a Les Contamines pass. And for a family of 5 even initially small differences get bigger.

IME kids aren't hungry for mileage and new horizons. What they tend to like is a few favourite runs (preferably including a few dodgy "over the tree routes" variations) and to do them over, and over, and over, again. Preferably without Dad and Mum tagging along. wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Indeed a few runs with bumps will keep them happy

As they have skied since very young, I would even say the novelty may have worn off slightly and as such are happy to take time off just to play in the snow. At which point I get cross about not getting full value

Meribel pass may well be a solution, but I do recall Jerusalem so maybe not!

Ultimately just proves skiing is expensive!
snow conditions
Boris, yeah, at one end you won't want to miss Jerusalem, and at the other end you won't want to miss Creux (and that's just two out of a zillion examples.) Also, if you decide on Mottaret, and the weather turns out to be very hot, you'll be sorry not to be able to get to the slopes above Courchevel 1650, which stay in perfect nick when everything else has turned to porridge.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sun 12-02-12 17:07; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:

you'll be sorry not to be able to get to the slopes above Courchevel 1600, which stay in perfect nick when everything else has turned to porridge.

true. The last time I spent a week in the 3V, in a warm and rather snowless January, Courchevel 1650 had the best snow in the entire area.

Why not stay there?
ski holidays
Why not just stay in courchevel???

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 12-02-12 17:21; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
kitenski, 'cos there's no such place? wink
ski holidays
Pedantica, Toofy Grin
snow report
kitenski, I'm not Russian
snow report
Stay in la tania then Smile
snow conditions
Boris, nah, plenty of time to book Toofy Grin
snow report
Boris, nah, plenty of time to book Toofy Grin
Forgot to say www.latania.co.uk
snow report
BUMP

Ok so we went back to Vallandry, got a good deal on lift passes booking through Central Reservation. And what a week Cool
ski holidays
Boris, If you had gone to Ski Amadé like snowdrop did, ski passes for the children were free! And we had enough snow and some (but so did France, I know). Go on you know you want to ski with kooky and Co at least once to experience it! Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy