Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flaine - Update on ESI vs ESF ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Last minute advice:

Off to Flaine - Foret (Les Pleiades) for Half Term (11 Feb - 18th Feb 2012) - hoping it doesn't snow too much tomorrow in UK as we are driving...

Q1

I've read the different threads on Flaine ski schools - it seems that ESI have the edge in terms of "friendly" and "well run" reviews.

I have a daughter of 6 just starting out - but has done about 10 weeks on the dry slope in Bromley.

I have a son of 12 who is jumping on a board for the first time.

I see that the ESI snowboard lessons are all in the afternoon - to make the best of the snow conditions for learning to board.

That makes it hard for the parents if the ski lessons for my daughter are in the morning = no free time for mom and dad (to ski!)

Whereas ESF have both snowboarders and skiing lessons starting on Sunday afternoon and alternating with mornings throughout the week.

Any recent experiences would be appreciated.

Q2

Half term can be quite busy - do we need to book in advance?

ta muchly...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pical, probably too late but FWIW

a) you are asking for a miracle as everything probably got booked up some time ago Very Happy
b) ESI - we have used on a couple of occasions for our boys, for group lessons and a private snowboard lesson. I can highly recommend.

It's a pain when lessons don't allow for parents ski time but hey ho, they'll be better than you very soon so it's a small sacrifice Toofy Grin
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Half term can be quite busy - do we need to book in advance?

Possibly even as much as 2 days in advance? Puzzled
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pical, Ring Ecole de Ski International in Flaine and see if they can do anything for you, knowing one school they do try to be helpful. Try 0450908441 bug I realise to late
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'll be staying in the same location (Foret - Les Pleiades) the week following - I realise it's the double whammy of Half Term and France holidays - any useful tips on what to expect in terms of crowds and quieter lifts/areas etc?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Chamwow, there's so much snow, down to low altitudes, at the moment that it probably won't be too bad at all. Flaine is worst when lower parts of the domain have dodgy snow. There are some people on SHs who know the area very well and can probably give you some inside info on the worst bottlenecks and quieter areas.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chamwow, apart from Flaine there is lots of fantastic skiing in Les Carroz, Samoens and Morillon. Just pick your times carefully, the link lift queues can be bad and the run back down to Flaine (aagh how could I forget the name) can be horrible if it's busy, there's one bend in particular which is utter carnage (actually it's a lovely run to do first thing when it's quiet). You will be right by the Grand Vans Express which is a lovely smooth 8 seater (would be a perfect lift to take a beginner on)

Tourmaline is the one.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pical I would be interested to hear your thoughts on the apartment you stayed in, we are off to Les Pleiades on the 3rd of March.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
wam15,

The Apartment was fine - we had 03 which is a ground floor apartment - so view is restricted by 1.5m of snow on balcony.

The location is not the best in Foret, being at the top of the road, 2nd furtherest from the slopes, but it's only about 50m from the Spar and the piste bus stops right outside. This was only an issue when walking back late at night and feeling lazy.

The actual accommodation was very functional - we had a 6 sleeper 'cabin' - which means a lounge with sleeping sofa and pull out underneath (which we didn't use) and a main bedroom with a double bed (too small for anyone used to a king size) and 2 single bunk beds in the 'cabin' - which is basically the entrance hall.

Kitchen was small but functional - but no microwave - only a multifunctional oven - which does pizza very well.

TV had digital channels with BBC and ITV and Sky News & CNN.

Separate shower with great pressure (ground floor) and en suite bathroom with a tiny bath (140cm).

The staff were cheery and very helpful.

Here are a few lessons from a newbie:

Book parking underneath the residence, it costs €54 for the week - but the public carpark costs €28 and you have to dig your car out of the snow. Also the public carpark about Foret gets full very quickly and you have to then park down by Forum which is a bit of a hike. Don't risk the free carpark as this was totally jammed with people parking anywhere and more than one dent in the making.

Snowchains are a must but not needed for very much of the road - maybe it was just the timing but we had tarmac all the way up and down the pass from Les Carroz, however I could see that you would not want to do those bends the night after a snowfall without chains or snowsocks.

Traffic Jams on way back: leave early to make your tunnel connection. There were a few traffic jams on the motorway - firstly at the Mt Blanc tunnel entrance as people just slow down to enter the tunnel. Then at each of the toll booths. The last one had an 8km queue at 7pm on Saturday as there were only 3 booths open - French efficiency at it's best... we left Flaine at 11.30am and got to Calais at 9.30pm - an extra 2 hours over the trip going there.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
All in all it was a great holiday...

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 20-02-12 11:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Everyone,

Report back on ESI vs ESF.....

After getting to Flaine at 7pm and meeting friends for dinner we didn't have our skis or ski passes the next morning, so we had to go with lessons starting on Sunday afternoon.

I was worried about my daughter not being able to ski with us in the morning and with lessons in the afternoons energy wise - so opted for the afternoon / morning alternating times with ESF.

These started on Sunday afternoon, then Monday morning, Tues afternoon etc.

It also meant the ski lessons and snowboard lessons were at the same time - one drop off place (Forum) and one pickup, made life easier.

Hence we went with ESF.

Just judging by the front office staff ESI were far more friendly - and ESF seemed more production line oriented, however it REALLY is all about the instructor and my daughter soon loved her instructors 'Yannick' and 'Nicole' who really made her feel at home in a predominantly French class. Although it's hard when you can't understand the instructions that the teacher is giving until you get the English translation at the end - so my daughter was always last in the line and didn't benefit from hearing what anyone else was doing wrong...

So we opted for ESF and convenience of times - but next time I may opt for ESI and more chance of English speaking classes.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pical, Thanks for the feeback. There are only 3 of us so there should be plenty of space.

We are actually flying in and have transfers organised as none of us fancied driving but for the future I wil remember the tips on parking. I have also been in the Foret carpark digging out rental cars before!

Now cant wait, 1.5 weeks till I go!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pical, I'd strongly suggest you talk to Adrien and his team at ZigZag ski http://www.zigzagski.com/ who teach really well in English and have some world class instructors in coaching group. You certainly won't encounter any of the negative issues you mentioned earlier
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy