Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Smallish resort - Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Hey, Looking for a smallish to media sized resort in Austria, I dont want anything to big or popular because I dont want the large crowds of people, but I want something big enough to have a decent amount of good runs. So really something bigger than Oberau but smaller then Mayrhofen also avoiding the well known resorts, if anyone can point me a the right direction, then I would be ever so thankful!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SpencerJT, Hochfugen , small and beautifully rounded Cool great links and lift served off piste
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SpencerJT, Ps welcome to Snowheads snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you, I am only 18 so have a full life of skiing a head of me, last time I felt real snow was one I was 8, unless you class xscape as real snow, which i dont. The main reason I want a smallish resort is cause my mum and dad are tagging along and they are not really into the apres ski scene Razz Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

The main reason I want a smallish resort is cause my mum and dad are tagging along

SpencerJT, how kind of you to pay for your parents to come on a ski holiday with you. It's so often the other way round. Little Angel
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I am not paying the full price, but as much as i can afford, just a little thank you for getting me to the adult stage of my life successfully. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SpencerJT, If not stuck on Austria then les gets in France would be a great place for you all
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SpencerJT, Take a look at the Hochkönig area in Salzburgerland - the villages are Maria Alm, Dienten and Mühlbach. Maria Alm is the prettiest of the three villages and is easily accessible from Munich or Salzburg Airports. Mühlbach is the most eastern of the three linked areas and closest to Salzburg airport.

Alternatively there is the Wildschönau area in Tirol. Again three villages, Niederau, Oberau and Auffach. The areas for skiing are linked by buses rather than lifts though. Some good skiing in Niederau and Auffach, Oberau is more restricted but excellent for learners, as the better skiers are in either of the other villages.

Both areas are in some British TOs brochures, but they do fly a bit under the radar because they are smaller and so the prices are interesting from what I have read here.

Have fun here, but beware it can be come addictive! Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I love Austria for a un-found, but i will look cheers Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Samerberg Sue wrote:
SpencerJT,

Alternatively there is the Wildschönau area in Tirol. Again three villages, Niederau, Oberau and Auffach. The areas for skiing are linked by buses rather than lifts though. Some good skiing in Niederau and Auffach, Oberau is more restricted but excellent for learners, as the better skiers are in either of the other villages.

Have fun here, but beware it can be come addictive! Toofy Grin

They we're the three that i have already done, when I was 8.

Although I dont really remember it, I seem to remember there being a limited number of red/black runs?

Although I think I am suffering from over confidence, it could take me a few days to get my ski legs back, Its been a good few years Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Try looking at the Tannheimer Tal. No one in England ever goes there (except us). Unspoilt little villages, each good for a day or so, also close to some german resorts, again with no brits and very small friendly and fairly cheap. No tour operarors though as far as I know.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Another thumbs up for the prices and atmosphere of pretty Maria alm. Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Neustift in Stubai Tal only a half hour transfer from Innsbruck airport. Some good deals on the Crystal web site for March at present. Just back from La Plagne and now in need of an Austrian fix - roll on March the 3rd when we will be there. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Will you organising everything yourself (rather than going on a package)? If so, I would suggest Mauterndorf...

http://www.mauterndorf.at/

I went there a couple of years ago. Beautiful village, easy access to several smallish, very quiet resorts. One of the lift passes includes Obertauern which is about as snowsure as Austria gets (except for the glacier resorts) That's about 20 mins by bus.

The transfers are easy... one bus from Salzburg main station.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SpencerJT, not long back from Niederau with family. Slopes were very quiet. Snow conditions are fantastic too. That said, I would only really return there if on a limited budget. Have been to Kappl the previous 2 years with the family and rate it very highly. Again, deserted slopes and a good mixture of blues, reds and blacks - something which (in my opinion) Niederau lacked. www.kappl.com Only an hour from Innsbruck and good value resort and lift pass too. Ischgl just up the road for some excellent skiing and apres - although the apres in Kappl was pretty good given its size. We stayed at the Gasthof Alpenfrieden last year and would not hesitate to return - right on piste, excellent food for under €50 a night db&b.
snow report
According to Bergfex Austria has 361 resorts and most of them are small. Really having trouble to pick one?
snow report
Hochkonig
snow report
Agree the Hochkonig area would be ideal, Maria Alm or Muehlbach (Dienten is right in the middle of the area, but quite a bit more remote to get to and from by car).

Or, some of the resorts in Carinthia (Kaernten), like Nassfeld, Bad Kleinkirchheim, Heiligenblut. Bit harder to get to and from tho, flights to Klagenfurt are scarce, but Salzburg is not too bad a drive.
snow report
+1 for HochKonig. Alternatively try Austrian Adventures in Radstadt (owned by Flangesax). You can ski a number of different areas all easily accessed by bus.
latest report
Hi

As a family man who enjoys skiing but not into apres ski but nice meals and a nice cold beer/wine I can only recommend the Zillertal valley. Yes Mayrhofen is busy but there are plenty of areas away from there which has fantastic skiing plenty of kms so does not get crowded unless school holidays. There are some lovely small villages that are scenic and unspoilt. In particular hochzillertal that is connected with hochfugen. Also nearby a nice relaxing swimming pool with outside section. This is called erlebnistherme fugen take a look on Google. Zillertal is easy to drive to from Innsbruck or Salzburg.

Hope you find something
latest report
Hi

As a family man who enjoys skiing but not into apres ski but nice meals and a nice cold beer/wine I can only recommend the Zillertal valley. Yes Mayrhofen is busy but there are plenty of areas away from there which has fantastic skiing plenty of kms so does not get crowded unless school holidays. There are some lovely small villages that are scenic and unspoilt. In particular hochzillertal that is connected with hochfugen. Also nearby a nice relaxing swimming pool with outside section. This is called erlebnistherme fugen take a look on Google. Zillertal is easy to drive to from Innsbruck or Salzburg.

Hope you find something
snow conditions
How about Serfaus?
ski holidays
saikee wrote:
According to Bergfex Austria has 361 resorts and most of them are small. Really having trouble to pick one?

Thanks for that mr clever man!

But last time I booked a holiday without checking other peoples opinion, apart from the sun it was a terrible week.

Also when I try to look on google, it just recommends me to all the big resorts!

You see the whole point of this forum is to get input from other people of where they have had holidays in resorts similar to what you are looking for.

So unless you have something constructive to say, pack your bags and do one! Little Angel

Sorry for the people who have been nice, I just wanted a little help, and someone had to be the bigger man cause he has been skiing longer than me!
snow report
try alpbach. beautiful little village quite a lot of english but not the rowdy type! good for a few quiet beers and stuff really nice resteraunts and good slopes not masses but plenty variety and enough to get you back up and running
snow report
SpencerJT,

Austria differs from other Alpine countries by having a lot of small resorts dotted over the mountains and I found everyone nice to ski as often it is not crowded. Take Ski Amade for example one ski pass covers 25 skiing places with 860km piste with 270 lifts. Austria resorts also stand out to be car friendly and never charge parking fee (haven't run into one that does or if I had to pay the ski office would refund it) but at the same time provide big and multiple free car parks. Thus it appears to me the Austrian way is to drive around and seldom stick to one little resort.

You talk about not liking the 157km Mayrhofen because it is big but within the same Zillertal Valley there are also Fugen (21km) and Hintertux (86km) even if you dismiss others resorts like Kaltenbach (155km) and Zillertal Arena (163km).

I am just puzzled if there is one small Austrian resort that can fit your bill. Even if it does you are unlikely to stick with it because your skill will improve with time and will move on to seek different challenge elsewhere.

Seem to me the selection of a resort is driven by the accommodation. The high density of Austrian resorts would favour choosing a place to stay so that its neighbouring resorts could be exploded. You will bound to have a good choice of small resorts as far as Austria is concerned.
ski holidays
saikee

I understand what you are saying, basically if I pick one small one, that one will link with loads of other ones via bus/lifts?

That would suit me down to the ground because it means my mum and dad can stay in the small resort area and enjoy it for what it is and me and my brother can go and explore!

Also, it's nice to see another toon resident on here! Laughing

Edit: sorry for going of at you, I have a short temper! Laughing
ski holidays
I would support the suggestions for Hochkönig and Alpbach. Nearer home (for me) you might also investigate St. Johann in Tirol or, for a little more challenging sking, Fieberbrunn (the areas are bus-linked with the Steinplatte too if you want more variety during your holiday). Just round the corner from them is Kitzbühel itself, which is fine for non-skiers (too). And there is also the whole SkiWelt area nearby, e.g. Westendorf, Ellmau and so on.
ski holidays
SpencerJT, we can take good care of you, we love looking after snowheads! We have quite pistes, beautiful towns, 45 from Salzburg - do you have any dates in mind? Send me a PM and we can have a chat. Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Update! I have been skiing today, and i had no trouble finding my ski legs and was carving before I knew it, funny how it takes people different times eh? Laughing

Anyway, this has made me realise that I should be alright on most blacks, and I decided I fancied doing a bit of glacier skiing or off piste oneday with a guide, can people know Narrow down the resorts to where I can do this? Dont mean to be tricky or anything, cheers snowHead
ski holidays
alpbach would be perfect
snow report
Are your folks skiing too?
snow report
They will be doing a bit, but know where near the amount me and my brother will be doing!
snow report
SpencerJT, I've taken the family to Kappl the last couple of years, Niederau this year. Kappl is just 7km away from Ischgl (party central for you and your borther). Although only 45km skiing in Kappl itslef, the runs are long and deserted. Fantastic skiing in Ischgl along with excellent apres. You could also consider Galtur at the far end of the same valley (but we never managed to get to it on each of our trips - mainly because we enjoyed Kappl/Ischgl so much). One thing worth noting of Kappl - all the runs meet up with each other, so you and your brother can do your own thing and meet your parents for lunch etc. Pretty decent apres too. Cracking wee resort which I'd happilly return to

Can't comment on Hochkonig etc as not been there, but having driven through the Ski Welt resorts to and from Niederau, they looked excellent.
snow conditions
Thank you everyone, We have looked at kappl thank you boabski, and we are ready to start putting the holiday together (DIY) of the new year weekend (expensive and busy I know but oh well)

Is it to early to get excited? Laughing
latest report
How about a small place called Katschberg, two mountains to play on and several other areas that are more well known within half hour of there. In a week last year we met one English family. Excellent hotels in the Falkensteiner chain, spa etc for the folks.
Some black to do, Jet2 or Easyjet to Salzburg and a beautiful 90 min drive through.
http://www.katschberg.at/en/
Guaranteed no one you meet will ever have been there.
Worth a click on the link.
ski holidays
+ 1 for alpbach would be perfect
snow report
SpencerJT, if you are serious about Kappl you could stay where we stayed last year - right on the pitse, excellent food and great value - around €50 a night db&b http://www.alpenfrieden-kappl.at/index.php?id=13&L=1
snow report
Auffach at least there will be some snow.
snow conditions
Seeking an area predominantly of blues (for competent but nervous Mrs Dub) I've just got back from Lofer.

Very short transfer from Salzburg, pretty town, good Spar, not much nightlife at all, but one jolly schirmbar to experience some traditional apres, all round good learner/improver/family area.

Also skiable area doubles with a 15 minute bus trip to Wagrain and their extensive Steinplatte area.

If thats not enough, St Johann a further few minutes (but thats a bit mega in comparison).

Day passes decline in price with each passing hour and everything similar in cost to UK.

Predominantly Germans, locals and Dutch (in that order) with a sprinkling of Scandinavians. Heard only a handful of English speakers all week.

Packages via Neilson but easy enough to DIY.
ski holidays
+1 for Katschberg and the Falkenstiener Cristallo Hotel. 70kms of piste in total with a fantastic black off the top of Aineck called Directissimo (or something like that) and a great cruisey red down the other side called the A1. Have been there twice and as Ianbradders says, very rare to see Brits there.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy