Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

An interesting day in Les Contamines Zag ski test and an avalanche.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Jbob jr and me borrowed some Zag touring skis planning to do a short tour yesterday. These beautifully made skis are available at the Zag test centre nr Argentiere with skins for 25€ a day. It makes me wonder why spend £700+ on kit! They are available with either plum or marker bindings. They are super light especially with the plums.

We planned to do a short tour from a lift served col at the top of the system. We arrived at the col and looked across to see that there were already a couple of parties on the track. We decided to do a quick run first to get used to the skis, it was my first day on a rocketed ski.

On returning to the col 15mins later we were were horrified to see that the slop we were about to cross had suffered a full depth avalanche about 50m wide! The parties on the route were unaffected being too far along the track. We decided that our luck had been used up for the day and decided to abandon our plan. It was a 3/5 day and the slope was west facing which had been a lee slope for the high winds a few days earlier.

The skis were interesting, they were very nimble in the off piste and rode high in the powder, however I found their lightness came at a cost. They were easily knocked about by lumpy snow but I guess this is in common with all very light skis. On piste they were ok but were clearly out of there natural habit.

The snow conditions at les Contamines were superb, well maintained pistes with soft snow, lots of stiff powder off piste and still some lines to be had, the problem off piste here is that the slopes are a bit too shallow.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jbob,

Am I right in thinking that your planned traverse was over on the Hauteluce side - traversing from the Roche Croisee chair?

I was in Les C 26-30 Jan and I think I skied the slope that slid with a guide. We weren't touring, just traversed in and skied the bowl down to the trees above Hauteluce. We saw the evidence of a number of really big slides around the ski area (as you say, all the way through the snow pack to the ground).

Our guide (excellent btw - I have contact details if anyone needs them) had been a ski patroller in Chamonix for 10 years - pretty good avalanche experience! He was explaining that it was a really difficult year for avalanche management. In general the pack was very stable with a low risk of slides but that those that happened were going to be very big and very unpredictable (i.e., just happen without an obvious trigger).

We saw one above Hauteluce a similar size to yours that completely buried a blue piste. Nasty.

Must say, I was very impressed with Les Contamines (my first visit) - lots of easily accessible off-piste (some of it is gentle as you say), some very big off-piste descents if you head away from the pistes, nice tree skiing and big roomy pistes for less competent skiers. All that and you don't have to fight for turns on a powder morning. And it's an hour from GVA.

It's gone to top of my places I'd love to own an apartment list. One can dream...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jbob, glad to hear it missed you. Shocked

Yes, Les Contamines is a good spot - I generally ski on piste but my son has enjoyed the off-piste on several visits. The top slopes hold their snow v well at the end of the season.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
jedster, I'm thinking about a long weekend there at the end of the month or early March. Could you let me know who the guide was?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jedster, The avalanche you saw that crossed the blue piste moved very slowy for 2 days( about 1 meter a day) before it finally made its dramatic slip! The one to the left of buche croisee also showed a crack for a day before it too slipped. Ps Dont tell everyone about the off piste in Contamine too many are getting to know now! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Marc - Christophe Bornet, christophe-bornet@orange.fr, +33 686994869
He's based in Saint Gervais, just down the road. He's worked as ski patrol in Les C as well so he knows the area very well. The guides office in Les C booked him for us but I will contact him directly next time (I think the guides office in Les C would probably propose a Les C guide if obe was available).

brock - ah, I see. Those big cracks were all over the place. I'll try to keep quiet about les but we're among friends here!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jedster, cheers bud. I'll put a pint behind the bar for you wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Firstly, good choice, disgression and valour and all that but on a technical note, what ZAG touring skis did you use and what are Plum touring bindings? Never heard of them and I would love to take a look.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We went back last week and finished the business. Had Great day tour, started from the same col at the top of the buche croisee lift. Headed south and skinned over an unnamed col on the side of the tete de cicle, then over the col de cicle itself, found some great untracked snow, but instead of the normal finish straight down we turned left and skinned over the col de fenetre then down to the bottom of the ruelle lift. Three cols loads of untracked and made the last lift by 15mins with no stopping, great day and no crowds.

The plum bindings are a very superior version of the dynafit at a superior price. The skis were zag ubac.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy