Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can't decide where to go!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

I tried to post this message five minutes ago but it looks like I screwed it up. So sorry if there's two messages.

Anyway, I need to draw on your expertise! I've already booked some accommodation in Rohrmoos just outside Schladming, but I'm not sure if it's the place for me. My ideal resort will:

Be in Europe
Have lots of cruising on long blues
Have a tree lined as well as treeless "top of the world" type runs
Have cross country
Be quiet, both on piste and off.
Be attractive
Be reasonably priced. This is a DIY trip so it doesn't have to be Poiana Brasov, but I can't afford Switzerland.
Be easy to get to on public transport
Have accommodation that's easy to arrange from overseas by someone who speaks other languages craply.

So far, I've come up with

Bad Gastein
Bardonnechia (can't work out how to book accommodation here though)
Bareges (Though my understanding is that pistes are only accessable by bus this year)

I am open to resorts that don't begin with 'B'. Any ideas??

Thanks! Liam
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Gastein valley fits the bill, but you are probably better off in Bad Hofgastein rather than Bad Gastein itself. The skiing at that end of the valley is more blue/cruisey while BadG is more red/challenging. That is important as there are several ski areas, only linked by bus. There is direct access into the gentlest area (Schlossalm) from BadHofG. There seemed to be more Xcountry skiers about in BadHofG as well. There are railway stations in the Gastein valley so transport shouldn't be a problem.

As for booking accom directly, in english, good luck!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have been to Schladming a couple of times and don't recollect there being a lot of cruisy blues. Personally I enjoy the mileage of skiing the 4 mountains, but they are mainly reds (they not difficult reds though and maybe you could call them cruisy reds). Otherwise I would have said it meets your criteria. Actually, I think it is all tree-lined, so there may not be the top-of-the-world feel either - it is hard to remember some of these details - it must be the alzheimers kicking in again.

On the other hand, Cervinia is another resort often recommended for its cruisy blues - not been there though so no first hand experience.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
lrx28, what makes you think you can't afford Switzerland, it's cheaper than much of the UK Shocked The Swiss hoteliers tend to speak good English, German and French, some may also speak Italien or Portuguese (where the staff traditionally come from), also Switzerland has one of the best public transport systems in the world.

Normally I reccomend Wengen, but in your case you want cross country and there's none in Wengen itself however the nearby resorts of Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen and Murren all have cross country runs, of these I'd suggest Grindelwald would be a slightly better bet as it's higher than Lauterbrunnen so more likely to have snow and has a greater access to long blue runs than Murren, but an area pass would cover all of the resorts
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the tip. I'd heard that Bad Hofgastein is a bit noisy though. Is that so? I'm quite determined to go somewhere peaceful. I'm going solo, so anywhere with a party scene will make me look sad.

I've made enquiries re accommodation. You just fill out their online enquiy form. A couple of days later you get blasted by emails written in wonky english (still better than my german) from individual apartment renters. It's certainly do-able, and MUCH cheaper than a package (when you bring Ryanair into the equation)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ah D G Orf - are you that Wengen bloke? Actually I've considered Murren, for it's setting. My problem is (should have mentioned this before) is that I'm vegetarian, so unless it's Italy I'll be doing a lot of self catering (impossible in a hotel). Plus I'll be going alone, seeking a little solitude, so a hostel's out really.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
lrx28 wrote:
Ah D G Orf - are you that Wengen bloke?

The rest of us never noticed, but now you mention it.........
Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
lrx28, by the way, you win a snowHead prize of some sort . You've actually got D G Orf, to recommend a resort other than Wengen. Same area granted, but not actually Wengen. Congratulations.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I am honoured
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
lrx28, I ve met plenty of vegeterians that have not had a problem with Swiss hotels catering for them, so long as you let them know when you book that you're vegeterian, vegans are another matter, the Swiss can't seem to get their heads arround that. Heck you even see vegeterian options in mountain restaurants now, something very rare 10 years ago.

However what about a small 1 bedroom or bedsit appartment, several of them in Wengen and I would imagine Murren/Grindelwald as well, try contacting the local tourist office who usually have a list of appartments for rent
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
lrx28 wrote:
I'd heard that Bad Hofgastein is a bit noisy though.

We were there over New Year and the only noisiness was from the fireworks going off NYE Very Happy . Not noisy, not loud, a few nice bars, overall a nice village. Certainly not a party resort. I'd recommend it although it's not really cruisy blue skiing, more like cruisy red.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I'd heard that Bad Hofgastein is a bit noisy though

I agree with Cathy Coins: BadG is the lively spot, BadHofG quieter. Also a lot flatter, so better for Xcountry. BadG is tucked up in a ravine and is very steep in parts. In fact, some of the pavements are steeper than the blues!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
How about Les Arcs?
lrx28 wrote:

My ideal resort will:

Be in Europe - yes
Have lots of cruising on long blues - yes
Have a tree lined as well as treeless "top of the world" type runs - yes, tree lined down in Peisey; top of the world on the Aigulle Rouge
Have cross country - not too sure?
Be quiet, both on piste and off - yes, so long as it's not February half-term
Be attractive - not bad
Be reasonably priced. This is a DIY trip so it doesn't have to be Poiana Brasov, but I can't afford Switzerland. -yes, loads of budget self catering
Be easy to get to on public transport - yes, train direct to the bottom of the mountain at Bourg saint Maurice.
Have accommodation that's easy to arrange from overseas by someone who speaks other languages craply. - yes, several agencies who speak good English.

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Also, if you're looking at the Gastein valley, how about Dorfgastein, just a bit further down the valley? The slopes are a bit easier, the village seemed really nice, pretty small and quiet, and if you want a change of skiing you can just hop on the bus to Bad Hofgastein.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
lrx28,
Dont know how many criteria it fits but Val Cenis has the skiing you describe and a superb Nordic ski centre up the road at Bessans with connecting busses it is fairly quiet and inexpensive based on my one visit. It is also fairly attractive and all in all a pretty decent place.

Monetier in Serre Che also has excellent nordic skiing on its doorstep and is attractive with good treelined runs though they are generally easy ish red rather than blue a big area and quiet outwith school holidays.

Puy St Vincent also fulfills several of the criteria but go to the lower part if you want an attractive resort the upper bit is pure purpose built.
snow report
lrx28, youy could try La Rosiere, it would fit most of your criteria, albeit that most of tree lined skiing in the Espace San Bernardo is in La Thuile. Getting there by public transport is relatively easy but somewhat lengthy, it takes about 5 hours by bus from Geneva to La Rosiere but you can get the train to Bourg St Maurice which is 30 minutes away. There sis nordic skiing we've had guests who've restricted themselves to the cross-country tracks quite happily. For more info go to www.larosiere.net where you find a list of accommodation, you can book directly with the Tourist Office.
snow report
Thanks all for your tips! I never really thought of Les Arcs before - I wouldn't mind going to a super-resort.
snow report
These days many Austrian hotels that TOs use offer 3 main courses, one veggie (although Austria used to be exteremely veggie hostile) but, as another skiing veggie, I would say that Italy offers by far the best choice grubwise.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy