Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

filling up in Luxembourg.....

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
....passing through on the way to Austria. Anywhere obvious to fill up? Is it much cheaper to make it worth the effort?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We were there in the summer - loads of service stations around the borders - sem to remember it was 20c or so cheaper than in France or Germany ie 1.15 or so instead of 1.35 or 1.40 at the time so defo worth a tankful if you're passing through
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The place is littered withfuel stops and if your route takesyou through it would be rude not to. Oh, and don't forget the obligatory keg o Bofferdink and 500g of Drum Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tirol, normally costs me £100 to fill up in UK, it was £70 in Lux. So, do it both ways and its a resonable saving.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tirol, Unless you are travelling during the day, don't bother to come off the motorway. Most of the petrol stations close at night in the towns and villages. The one place I can think of as possibly having petrol stations open is at Remmich, but that is quite a way off the route.

I just fill up at the Berchem Services just south of Luxembourg city in either direction. I still save considerable amounts compared to German and UK prices!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There's little point coming off the motorway during the daytime either. If you check on the prices on www.carbu.lu you'l see that the prices are the same everywhere - I think that the maximum price is set by the government, and that is what gets charged: http://www.petro-center.lu/prix-officiels/chauffage-carburants/prix%20officiels.pdf
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you come off at a place called Mondorf Les bains and head for the town centre on the A13 just after the tunnel, I paid 1.11 Euros last summer when everywhere else was 1.30+
For me driving between Dorset and Kitzbuhel, its a one stop journey for fuel. And at that prices, its just not worth going Liege, Frankfurt way.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks guys, useful help there.

Just bloody can't wait to go skiing. First time since having kids, nearly 5 years since I last went!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Remember to fit your winter tyres!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jafa wrote:
Remember to fit your winter tyres!!

check!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jafa, I know that place, it shuts in the evening at about 7pm! I have filled there often during the day time though as I have friends who lived in Mondorf. They even shut for lunch sometimes! Shocked

The garages on the hill coming up from the river in Remmich (rue de l'Europe aka E29) all offer the same price as the motorway services.

If you can bear it (smell-wise), it might be worth filling a petrol can to make sure you can get through Germany without paying the exhorbitant prices charged at the motorway services (or anywhere else at a weekend)! You can leagally carry up to 20 litres in cans without being stopped to pay duty. Neither does it invalidate your insurance (well it doesn't in Germany! Laughing ).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tirol, I always make the effort to fill up in Lux on the way through. If I'm being anal, I leave home with just enough to get me to Calais, then put just enough in to get me to Lux, then brim it. Similar logic on the way back. Are you diesel or petrol? Biggest saving against the UK is on Diesel. Leaving the UK on petrol I think it's actually best to leave with the full tank and skip a fill in France/Belgium - don't really take a lot of notice as I don't use petrol through.

Agree the advice about just using the motorway stations and prices being pretty much the same everywhere, but beware that sometimes in the day there are long queues - they can be queued out onto the slip road with trucks filling up. Where the map at this link shows 'fill up here before returning' is about 1 min off the motorway and I've not had an issue queuing on the occasions I've used it. No toilets though (don't ask why I know that!).
http://www.route66-tobacco-lux.com/index.html#anchormap

On Monday when I came through Diesel was 1.22 €/l which is up 0.02€ from new year (FYI in France, off the motorway, about 1.36€/l currently). Still ~£1 a litre makes a huge difference against UK prices. Was surprised at new year that Diesel on the Autobahn in Germany was cheaper than in town in Austria. I'm sure Austria used to be cheaper, Is that a recent turn-around or am I going mad? Or was it new year premium?

Also, if you or your family are smokers, Luxembourg is a good fag stop too. FWIW I often stop at the Auchan Luxembourg shopping centre to break up the journey (it's a POI in TomTom) too. A little retail therapy helps Mrs. f948lan bear the long drives!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
f948lan, You are not mad. We went from Austria into Germany in late August and the petrol stations in the last few miles had queues of German cars at them!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Samerberg Sue wrote:

If you can bear it (smell-wise), it might be worth filling a petrol can to make sure you can get through Germany without paying the exhorbitant prices charged at the motorway services (or anywhere else at a weekend)! You can leagally carry up to 20 litres in cans without being stopped to pay duty. Neither does it invalidate your insurance (well it doesn't in Germany! Laughing ).

I suspect that most folk will not be that desperate for a 4 euro saving (or 8 if it's those shell stations jsut outside Flachau!) wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
holidayloverxx, my sister has a petrol-driven Renault and depending on how often she is stopped/slowed down, she sometimes has to top up in Germany before she reaches me! That hurts as it is sometimes as much as 20 cents a litre difference between German motorway services and the cost in our regular cross-border petrol stations. She now fills a 10 litre can to ensure she makes it al the way to my regular petrol station in Kufstein. I can't because I cannot stand the smell to be honest.

f948lan, The gap has narrowed somewhat as I think the Austrians raised the tax component on fuel for some reason (needed the extra cash/environment or whatever excuse they used). Even so by using the ÖMAC web site you can actually see which petrol stations are giving the best prices. An example of the differences: Shell in Wagrain selling diesel at 1.37/litre one Sunday afternoon. Later the same day I drove past the Shell station at Walserberg (border crossing) and noticed they were selling the same diesel for 1.57/litre. Shocked
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy