Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

IGLS Austria March

Poster: A snowHead
I have researched the web and am not really sure about Igls. Anyone with any knowledge recommend or otherwise advise if its worth visiting for a week in March for half a doazen 40 something blokes. Ski area is tiny but has links to Stubai Glacier and other areas. how easy are they to access. We like a bit of Austrian apres for sure but nothing too mental and its really mainly about quality skiing.
All advice welcome
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The nearest skiing is Patscherkoffel, with good snow (ie this season) you should be able to ski to Igls, and there's a gondola form there too. Otherwise it's a bus up to the main Patscherkoffel area.

Patscherkoffel is pretty small, mainly pistes. It is quite good for fast piste skiing - quite, often reasonably steep, pretty shady so often firm snow. Not too bad for a bit of touring and skinning off the side and stuff. We occasionally head over there form Nordkette on the other side of the Inn valley - the best thing about being on Patscherkoffel is you don't have to look at Patscherkoffel (it's an ugly dumpy little mountain)! I did go there for a week with my 'rents when young, it was alright, but tbh I would never recommend it for a proper holiday. It's mainly used by locals on afternoons/evenings off etc. Apres isn't great, you could maybe find a quiet bar or too in Igls itself.

Getting to other resorts is pretty easy, good bus services. Maybe 20/30 mins to get upto the much more interesting Nordkette on the other side of Innsbruck. I haven't gone directly form Igls to anywhere else, but getting to other Stubaital resorts shouldn't be a problem.

I think you'd have a much better tiem, and better skiing (assuming you're set on this area), if you stay in Fulpmes (right by Schlick2000), Goetzens (near Axamer Lizum) or Neustift (closer to the glacier). Again though, in all honesty, unless you're using it as a base to ski lots of the surrounding resorts (a day at each - all on the same pass I think), or for touring/offpiste, for a whole week I think *most* people would be better off going to one of the 'main' resorts - Arlberg, Mayrhofen, Fiss, etc. What sort of skiing are you after though?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for that clarky999, . We are all pretty good skiers, enjoy cruising reds and blues but generally can't be bothered too much with anything black or serious off piste. Like to have a bit of play off the side but no moguls (all got dodgy knees from rugby days!). Last year we went to Sauze d'Oulx and year before that St Johann in Tirol. Spent quite a while round at Fieberbrunn from there so those are the kinds of place we like. Not really too fussed about stacking up hundreds of miles but some variety and some challenging reds would be ideal. we don't mind the odd short bus journey if its free on an area pass.

We like to stop reasonably often for a slurp of Jaegermeister and just chill in good company in good scenery. As for apres as long as we find a bar thats got a bit of music and beer early doors straight from the slopes we're happy. Might have one or two late nights but its not essential.

The reason I'm researching Igls is that a reasonable half board deal came up, short transfer from innsbruck and we can fly from Bristol which is only an hour from us in Exeter.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
In that case it may not be too bad - if you like the idea of skiing a new area most days. Between the Stubai, Patscherkoffel, Axamer, Schlick2000, Kuhtai and some of the other small places there'll be plenty to keep you occupied. If you want the convenience of just rolling out your bed, heading up the hill, and cruising back down to your hotel again, not so much.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm trying to see what the ski pass costs for the whole area but not getting much joy from some confusing and contradictory websites. I don't suppose you know do you? Also ski hire is limited and so a bit pricey in Igls, any other ideas on that appreciated.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
jirac18, Looks like a very small place.
http://www.bergfex.at/innsbruck-igls-patscherkofel/panorama/
I love Austria and have done a bit of research where to go every year but probably would have never considered this one (not even on the road trip).

Of course, if you find the transport, Stubai is very good, same Kuthai and Axamer. But I doubt buses are that convenient. I usually don't mind them at all (we used them in Gastein valley, Flachau etc.) but the question is if the connections will be there at all.
There is a lot of places to go in Austria with smaller but quality hills. I believe Igls is on TO lists as a place for beginners/families.

Spend more and go to Ischgl instead Wink www.ischgl.com

Or Mayrhofen, there is a lot of deals usually from UK, lots of places to explore, with buses and train to nearby resorts included on the same ski pass (if you feel you will need to), good apres and quality glacier as a back up.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi,

Igls is a very beautiful village. It's just recently held the youth Olympics. Great scenery. Patscherkofel mountain is a standout mountain to the locals - wouldn't say it is a ugly dumpy little mountain. The Nordkette mountain range opposite is a breathtaking view. Great air and relaxation.

It was once a very vibrant village in the 60s 70s after the main winter olympics were held there twice. Now it'a a lot quieter.

There are better resorts for the skiing as after one day of the Patscherkofel-that's it. However, there are frequent ski busses to all the other ski areas.

http://www.innsbruck.info/en/experience/winter-holidays/olympia-skiworld.html

http://www.innsbruck.info/en/experience/winter-holidays/ski-areas-ski-passes.html

You could use an online site to get discounted prices for ski hire
http://www.sport2000rent.at/en/shops/ski-rental--c591

If you have a good deal and it suits you you can make it an excellent week. Stubai and Azamer Lizum were my favourites.

I tend to ski in the Zillertal valley. Great skiing, variety, places to eat and drink-just is more vibrant. Approx 1 1/2 from Innsbruck airport.

http://region.austria.info/at/guide/152785sy,en,OEWE/objectId,IND616104at,_area,provinces-and-regions,_site,us,curr,EUR,parentId,RGN100287at,season,at2,selBlk,ADDPGBLK,selElem,BKE13A1at/intern.html

Hope that helped.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thanksDang, It looks a little quirky but intruiging. Good links to the other resorts so the skiing should be good and we don't mind the short bus rides. It all adds up to us booking this evening. I'll endeavour to report back after our trip. Thanks for those who replied
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Patscherkofel mountain is a standout mountain to the locals - wouldn't say it is a ugly dumpy little mountain.

Eh? It's a small round hill, that looks like a loaf of bread.

Not sure it's a 'stand out' either - mostly local families with kids and race trainers, most other people in IBK go to Schlick, Nordkette or Axamer as their 'local' hill.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Clarky999 standout in respect of appearance. I was brought up there. Locals really spiritually respect this mountain. No not the best for skiing at all but we always look out for it when we come back to igls-its a strange shape but that's what makes it what it is.

Each to their own with regards to view point but the op mentioned he wanted good views and I can think of many ugly dumpy mountains so the patscherkofel should be defended.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Are there any hotels with family rooms / 2 bedroom apartments in Igls? All the tour operators from the UK don't seem to offer them.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi Musher,
Igls is quite an expensive place and because it is not as vibrant as it used to be tour operators have pulled out not leaving a lot of choice in Igls. If Igls is the place you want to stay below are a few links

http://www.sonnenhof-igls.at/english/rooms.html
http://www.innsbruck.info/en/igls/your-stay/appartements/dettaglio/hotel/appartements-waldhaus-igls.html
http://eagles.customers.condeon.net/en/Hotel_Innsbruck_Igls/rates-winter-2011-12/
http://www.innsbruck-hotels.at/bon-alpina/das-hotel/hotelzimmer.php?lang=en&x=4&y=6#
http://www.bestwestern-ce.com/hotels/section.php?id=1003&id_sub=849&lang=2
http://www.batzenhaeusl.at/en/hotel/en-zimmer

Innsbruck is only a short bus journey down to the valley, so great for a city shopping trip.
Free ski bus to other areas of Innsbruck Land.
For skiing there are much better areas. For wellness it is fantastic
Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If Bergfex reports it has only 18km piste then it is really small.

I have thought about doing resorts around Innsbruck but found they are scattered around and eventually settled for just Stubai. Think it may need more than one bus to cover the 23 miles journey as Stubai glacier is at the far end of the vallley.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dang,

Has Patscherkoffel still got that rickety one seater lift at the top?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DB wrote:
Dang,

Yep. Doesn't seem to run all that often though...
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
DB wrote:
Dang,

Is it on the map? From what I remember it goes up to near the peak.
snow report
Dang wrote:

Each to their own with regards to view point but the op mentioned he wanted good views and I can think of many ugly dumpy mountains so the patscherkofel should be defended.

Fair 'nuff, everyone has their special places

I can at least agree the views from it are pretty good though:

ski holidays
DB wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
DB wrote:
Dang,

Hmm, doesn't seem to be on the new (to this season) piste maps, and they have less offpiste routes marked from the top too. I haven't been up there this season yet, but it was definitely there last season (although rarely running, so we often skinned up underneath it for what freshies were available last year), and yes it did/does go the the top.

http://www.cusoon.at/skigebiet-patscherkofel
snow report
Quote:

DB wrote:
Dang,

Last time I went on that was one summer about 6 years ago-it was open as a one off (religious occasion). Can't believe they have not done anything to improve the top domed area.

There is a red dotted ski route down so am assuming there must still be the lift to go up but only in use on demand??????It's been years since I was on the Patscherkofel to ski.

Clarky999 is this the case that's its there but not really used???
ski holidays
Dang, not sure about this season (it's not on the new maps), but it was there last season (didn't run very often - I assumed that was due to the lack of snow).
latest report
Quote:

Dang, not sure about this season (it's not on the new maps), but it was there last season (didn't run very often - I assumed that was due to the lack of snow).

Ah yes, the lack of snow. It's so easy to forget that is an important factor when it has snowed so much this season albeit that it started late.

My dad sent me down it when I was very young (the top bit with the rickety lift) hardly any snow, very rocky, ended up sliding down....

The view from it is fantastic. What I find attractive about the area is that is has a nice open valley. Igls is up from the valley but it is no oppresive. But this comes at a price the skiing is not as varied and not many kms. But great views.

Whereas you go in the Otzal valley (solden etc) or Paznauan valley (Ischgl etc) the valleys are tighter but the skiing is much better.
snow report
saikee wrote:
If Bergfex reports it has only 18km piste then it is really small.

I have thought about doing resorts around Innsbruck but found they are scattered around and eventually settled for just Stubai. Think it may need more than one bus to cover the 23 miles journey as Stubai glacier is at the far end of the vallley.

Stubai valley is one on my to do list. You're right 18km is very small- the ski bus from Igls is excellent though-no changeover required to go to the stubai glacier unless it has recently changed. Also, 23 miles may not seem a long way but in the snow and round the bends it takes a while.

I believe, they also introduced a bus to St Anton (must have taken an age to get there) but cannot see it as part of the ski pass this year.
snow conditions
Dang wrote:
Hi Musher,
Igls is quite an expensive place and because it is not as vibrant as it used to be tour operators have pulled out not leaving a lot of choice in Igls.
Very Happy

Not as expensive as my dear wife and her uphill skiing habbits!

Thanks for the links - I'll check them out when I get a chance.
snow report
Dang,

I post because I thought 18km piste is not enough as the OP did stated "We are all pretty good skiers"" whom I regard people comfortable with skiing 30 to 40km a day.

If we drag a beginner over a 1.5km distance so that he does 4 runs in the morning and another 4 runs in the afternoon that would be 12km distance in total. An average skier would need about 30km piste a day and so a skiing resort with 150 to 200km would normally fit in well.

I stayed in Neustift of Stubaital Valley when I skied Stubai and had to drive 20 km everyday to get there on a road with nothing except snow, trees and rock. Doing it daily from IGLS is possible but I doubt if there is any worthwhile saving than staying in Stubaital Valley itself.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 11-02-12 19:16; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
musher wrote:
Dang wrote:
Hi Musher,
Igls is quite an expensive place and because it is not as vibrant as it used to be tour operators have pulled out not leaving a lot of choice in Igls.
Very Happy

Not as expensive as my dear wife and her uphill skiing habbits!

Thanks for the links - I'll check them out when I get a chance.

Yes, I noticed your post about your wife. You are lucky though..........My wife can't ski!!!! I have only just got my two sons off. My wife fancies the cross country stuff aswell. Not sure if that's what your wife does or something a little more flamboyant.

http://www.innsbruck.info/erleben/winterurlaub/langlauf/loipen.html

Above is a link for cross country in the Innsbruck area. You may find an area where you could all meet up-Fingers crossed.

snowHead
snow report
saikee wrote:
Dang,

I post because I thought 18km piste is not enough as the OP did stated "We are all pretty good skiers"" who I regard people comfortable with skiing 30 to 40km a day.

If we drag a beginner over a 1.5km distance so that he does 4 runs in the moring and another 4 runs in the afternoon that would be 12km distance in total. An average skier would need about 30km piste a day and so a skiing resort with 150 to 200km would ormally fit in well.

I stayed in Neustift of Stubaital Valley when I skied Stubai and had to drive 20 km everyday to get there on a road with nothing except snow, trees and rock. Doing it daily from IGLS is possible but I doubt if there is any worthwhile saving than staying in Stubaital Valley itself.
Puzzled

Puzzled Don't understand-completely agree with you. As I said Stubai is next on my list of places to stay-great on the Stubai glacier. Poor skiing in Igls-everybody agrees

Very Happy
snow conditions
Dang wrote:
saikee wrote:
Dang,

I post because I thought 18km piste is not enough as the OP did stated "We are all pretty good skiers"" who I regard people comfortable with skiing 30 to 40km a day.

If we drag a beginner over a 1.5km distance so that he does 4 runs in the moring and another 4 runs in the afternoon that would be 12km distance in total. An average skier would need about 30km piste a day and so a skiing resort with 150 to 200km would ormally fit in well.

Puzzled

Puzzled Don't understand-completely agree with you. As I said Stubai is next on my list of places to stay-great on the Stubai glacier. Poor skiing in Igls-everybody agrees

Very Happy

I believe the only reason the op is thinking about Igls is "the good deal he has got" and probably won't even ski Igls. The Stubai Valleis is good but at what price for the op.
ski holidays
Well as it happens we decided not to go ahead with booking Igls mainly on the fact that the resort itself is too small and also the bus timetable didn't work out very well for exploring the rest of the range easily. Search back on, now considering Soll
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jirac18, Take a look at Westendorf too - same ski area as Soll, but has the better skiing.
ski holidays
yes like the look of Westendorf too, one of our party has skiied there before and rates it highly. The whols skiwelt looks good. Just gotta find that gem of a deal!
snow report
Dang wrote:

Yes, I noticed your post about your wife. You are lucky though..........My wife can't ski!!!! I have only just got my two sons off. My wife fancies the cross country stuff aswell. Not sure if that's what your wife does or something a little more flamboyant.

Above is a link for cross country in the Innsbruck area. You may find an area where you could all meet up-Fingers crossed.
snowHead

She gave up on downhill at the first attempt in Banff. Started cross country and has never looked back.

I didn't tell her at the time but the previous year I had skied Banff a woman was mauled to death by a cougar while skiing on her own in the woods!
ski holidays
musher wrote:
Dang wrote:

snowHead

She gave up on downhill at the first attempt in Banff. Started cross country and has never looked back.

I didn't tell her at the time but the previous year I had skied Banff a woman was mauled to death by a cougar while skiing on her own in the woods!

Omg!!! Yes, think its best left. I was reading the local news for Tirol the other day and was shocked at how many ski accidents happen each year and fatalities. Good job I have a bad memory and will forget the statistics when I ski next year Smile
latest report
jirac18 wrote:
I have researched the web and am not really sure about Igls. Anyone with any knowledge recommend or otherwise advise if its worth visiting for a week in March for half a doazen 40 something blokes. Ski area is tiny but has links to Stubai Glacier and other areas. how easy are they to access. We like a bit of Austrian apres for sure but nothing too mental and its really mainly about quality skiing.
All advice welcome

Hi Jirac - I don't have time to read all these responses (apols if I'm repeating stuff) but I am a huge fan of the Innsbruck ski area, about to visit it for the 6th time in just 3 years. I've skied at Patscherkof - it's a fun mountain, with brilliant views of Innsbruck and cool things like a one-man chairlift. I've skied pretty much all the surrounding ski areas, my favourite is probably Schlick 2000m (on the route to Stubai which is also good altho can be v chilly).
There's a pretty frequent bus and tram into Innsbruck from Igls - think it's about 30 mins to the main station from which you have tons of resorts within a shortish train ride.
To get a feel for how the places are connected, you could check out the SkiRail Map of the Alps which shows you how the resorts connect with the rail network, and how long it takes to get to them by train from the nearest city (i.e. Innsbruck in your case).
More info here: http://www.rogerlascellesmaps.co.uk/SkiRail_Map_Main.aspx
Let me know if any more specific questions.
Neil
ski holidays
Whoops - just noticed you've decided to go elsewhere.
Note to self - read threads more thoroughly before posting responses!
latest report
Neil Neige, really appreciate the thought but yes we've decided the Si Welt probably suits us better and is an area two of our group are pretty familiar with. Wouldn't rule out the Stubai valley in future but just not centred at Igls which ultimately whilst cheap on the face of it probably didn't represent best value.
snow report
jirac18,

Now if you go to SKi Welt, which is formed by linking 8 resorts together like an octopus offering 280km piste, you can take a short bus ride to ski Kitzbuhel too (170km piste and a famous venue for skiing competitions). Depending on where you stay Kitzbuhel can be access via Kirchberg which is only 3.5 miles from Brixen im Thale or 6.5 miles from Westendorf. This is far cry from going to 18km piste IGLS.
snow report
Me and my 3 mates just been to Stuabai again.
I would say stay in Neustift and ski at Schlick and on the glacier.
Do the apres after a day on the glacier in the Mutterberg and get the 'songbus ' back to village.
Brilliant !!!!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy