Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

practice black runs

Poster: A snowHead
are there any mini practice black runs in europe??? i find it odd that of all the resorts ive been i havent seen or heard of it. im at a level where i can ski at a good intermediate level but really cant do a long black. 100m lenght on practice route would be great if they exsisted!!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Take up slalom racing, gates make you a better turner, skier and give a better buzz, it has also has another lot of nice kit to buy and really hurts if you crash particularly on plastic, which covers the fear factor and stamina training you are looking for. Racing circuits exist in GB and are very keanly supported, England racers taking part in leagues near you.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
KURWA100, I have never seen any in France. I have only done a handful of blacks myself but they were all varied and some reds I done have been harder Confused If it's a long black, can't you just stop more? No rules to say not Toofy Grin
I do remember a short steep black in La Thuile, and also in La Thuile, one that was very tame.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
KURWA100,
Quote:

100m lenght on practice route would be great if they exsisted!!

there is a very short black run in St Foy, maybe only 100m if that of proper black its called the Cret Serru du Haut, also the Morion in St Foy is not very long mabye 400m but its off piste and the drop in scares most people off Shocked
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
KURWA100, there are a couple of what I would call tame and short blacks in the resort of Les Gets (Myrtilles and to a lesser extent Yeti)... and while you're in the PdS there is also a cheeky little black section on the Pauvre Conche near Les Crosets.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

short blacks in the resort of Les Gets (Myrtilles and to a lesser extent Yeti)

Yes - they must be as I did them last week while we were there!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
KURWA100, length isn't all that it's cracked up to be and judging a run by its length could get you out of your depth. Long blacks tend to be much gentler than short blacks. For example, Glencoe's 'Fly Paper' is very short and Alpe D'Huez's 'Sarenne' is very long but the long one is much, much tamer than the short one. Little Angel
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
St Anton has several black runs that are regularly bisected by blue or red alternatives - for example run 35 from Kapell or 25 from Gampen. You can do any or all of the black sections and, when you've had enough, return to the gentler alternative.

It has to be said that these aren't exactly epic runs. Great for training, though.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
MoodyFFS +1

There's also a steep red section next to it - so you can build up.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
KURWA100, I forgot , Black 3 in La Thuile would fit your needs exactly, steep, only one entrance as it in a couloir and under the gondola to the village, you could circulate on that, it is not skied by many so you have it usually to yourself if you ski at a reasonable rate. There is an excellent Gellato bar in the village which serves superb tequila sunrises, after a few trips on black 3 both should be in order for your celibration.

Or the Ahorne black, again not skied by many as small resort with few agressive customers, again under the cable car to the village so plenty steep, but this time in pitches unlike Black3 which only has a jump at the bottom.

or the black "Olympic Luc Alphand" in Serre Chevalier which is agian served by a gondola and chair, usually full of hillmans unfortunately and is heavily cannoned, but a good workout particularly after any competitions when the art of 40mph sideslipping may be learnt.

Or the ladies downhill at House, just round the corner from Schladming, north facing, cold, dark, always in race condition one can practice a change of direction in the air off a jump and marvel that it is done at 60mph+ in race. See 40mph side slipping.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Head to Austria.

Saalbach is one example.

Austria tends to have shorter blacks because their mountains are smaller and lower.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whitegold, dude........Saalbach is for losers wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
KURWA100, Montgenevre has some blacks that are steep, but not silly steep - les Rhodos, Tetras and Chaberton are the ones you want.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

... and while you're in the PdS there is also a cheeky little black section on the Pauvre Conche near Les Crosets.

I did this in Jan for my first ever black - I just needed to cross the psycological "never done a black" barrier and I felt like I could ski anything afterwards - then I looked at the map so that I could always remember "my first black" and its the smallest black line in the world Laughing

Still, it worked, it increased my confidence and blacks are no longer the scary, unknown thing that they were before!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Two that spring to mind as being short and not especially intimidating are:

La Clusaz, FR - Choucas.
Verbier, CH - Lac de Vaux.
snow conditions
There's a fairly short black in Val Thorens as well, Goitschel, which is at the top of one of the "3-vallees" link lift. Not too bad as a black, not too long and some options to bail out to a red at a couple of points.
latest report
Saint Gervais - Michel Dujon
Saint Gervais -Arcosses short (300m)
Megeve - Princesse black
St Nicolas Grand Choucas
Les Contamines - can't for the life of me remember the name but it's maybe 400m and hardly qualifies as black
Les Houches - Kandahar (but possibly not the week after race day)

All just have a short steeper element but are otherwise very easy.
snow report
I would echo Goitschel in Val T.

Also Ecureills (?) in Peisey Vallandry is quite pleasant , very few people do it and the crowded icy blue it leads in to scares me more !

And I would say the top of the red Saulire run in Courchevel 1850 is as steep as many blacks but then is a proper red - you can recognise it by the bodies lying on it - and the sign that says " Easier Route " ( which I think is hardly any different ).

Enjoy !

John
snow conditions
Why not just do difficult reds - which will inevitably be more difficult than easy blacks?
ski holidays
Why not just take the steepest line on whatever you're on be it blue or red and not pay attention to colour? After all there is almost no consistency between run gradings in different resorts.
snow report
A black in a tame resort will be a red or even a blue in a harder resort. Similarly there is no jump from red to black within a resort, just a gradual progression. Do the hardest red and then ask which is the easiest black and do that.
latest report
Madesimo, The Canalone, launch off the cable car restaurant balcony.....................
latest report
In my experience, which is admittedly limited, if its a short run and still black there's usually an interesting surprise hidden somewhere Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Schwarzen run from Eigergletscher down to Kleine Scheidegg in Berner Oberland is pretty short and for a black not too steep
ski holidays
This is indeed a very very gentle one. More like a very light red and the view (especially in your back if it does make sense) is superb.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy